Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Hi everyone! I'm new to the vinyl community but definitely willing to learn
I really want to start collecting to support the artists directly and to move away from streaming and algorithms in general.
If you have any advice for someone only starting let me know :)

Hi everyone! I'm new to the vinyl community but definitely willing to learn
I really want to start collecting to support the artists directly and to move away from streaming and algorithms in general.
If you have any advice for someone only starting let me know :)
Welcome! Nice to have another Brit here.

Im sure you are already aware of it, but Bandcamp is a great alternative to other streaming services and most of the money goes directly to the artists and/or label. Bandcamp Friday is still running as well which involves Bandcamp getting rid of their usual fee (I think it's 15%) so the artists get the full amount.

Hello! Big fan of music here and been collecting for a 5-6 years. I love digging at shops but also subscribe to a few mail subscription services to get my fix over the last two years. Looking forward to the community!

I love that you dropped a guess in the AotM thread before coming here to introduce yourself!

Welcome. As @Hollywood said above, this is the best place on the internet.

New member checking in from Berkeley, California! Not sure what the average age is around here, but I am clocking in at a hearty 60 years old. I've been collecting vinyl since I bought Hey Jude at Music Plus in Van Nuys, California in 1970. :) (My mom drove me to the store.)

My collection is up to about 650 or so, including VMP records since 2015--mostly rock, blues, and jazz. Just started cataloging all my records on Discogs, after finally bringing my collection out of the garage and into my home office after many years. The most valuable one so far is an original New Alliance pressing of The Descendents' "Milo Goes to College", though I also noticed that my copy of Toots & The Maytals' "Sweet and Dandy" that I got from VMP awhile back just sold for a crazy $350 a few months ago.

Favorite concert: The Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. (Went both nights!)

Still a VMP member but came here because I'm hoping to find a place slightly less bitter and negative than that Reddit forum to talk about vinyl!

Cheers!

New member checking in from Berkeley, California! Not sure what the average age is around here, but I am clocking in at a hearty 60 years old. I've been collecting vinyl since I bought Hey Jude at Music Plus in Van Nuys, California in 1970. :) (My mom drove me to the store.)

My collection is up to about 650 or so, including VMP records since 2015--mostly rock, blues, and jazz. Just started cataloging all my records on Discogs, after finally bringing my collection out of the garage and into my home office after many years. The most valuable one so far is an original New Alliance pressing of The Descendents' "Milo Goes to College", though I also noticed that my copy of Toots & The Maytals' "Sweet and Dandy" that I got from VMP awhile back just sold for a crazy $350 a few months ago.

Favorite concert: The Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. (Went both nights!)

Still a VMP member but came here because I'm hoping to find a place slightly less bitter and negative than that Reddit forum to talk about vinyl!

Cheers!

I'm originally from SoCal but lived in Alameda for a few years before settling in Sacramento. I'm 47.

My wife and I are actually in SF today because we ran a half marathon at Golden Gate Park.

I'm originally from SoCal but lived in Alameda for a few years before settling in Sacramento. I'm 47.

My wife and I are actually in SF today because we ran a half marathon at Golden Gate Park.
Nice! My daughter's soon-to-be father-in-law was at that race this morning too.....while I was sitting on my ass playing records!

hey all! was excited to discover this community recently. vinyl has been destroying my brain since i bought my first LP in middle school in 1996, but things didn't really get bad until around 2012, when I fell back into the habit while going to grad school in the bay area. built up the bulk of my collection scouring the peninsula's thrift stores, estate sales, and bargain bins, but since moving to chicago i've chilled out a little bit and confine myself mostly to local shops and online digging. i sell records to keep up the habit, can't say i *completely* break even but i do OK, especially with the boom over the last two years. i've been lurking on every music forum from ilxor to waxidermy to reddit to SH, but i particularly like to talk vinyl–glad to see this place exists!

the collection is up to about 4500 records, mostly LPs. can't think of a genre that isn't represented (maybe symphonic music? not a fan) but high concentrations of 90s indie rock, ambient, exotica, west-coast jazz, crime jazz, windy city soul, country blues, minimalism, international string instruments, gamelan, post-punk, and vaporwave. favorite albums are big star's "3rd/sister lovers," gilberto gil's self-titled record from 1968 (with os mutantes), and "love me forever" by carlton & the shoes.

hey all! was excited to discover this community recently. vinyl has been destroying my brain since i bought my first LP in middle school in 1996, but things didn't really get bad until around 2012, when I fell back into the habit while going to grad school in the bay area. built up the bulk of my collection scouring the peninsula's thrift stores, estate sales, and bargain bins, but since moving to chicago i've chilled out a little bit and confine myself mostly to local shops and online digging. i sell records to keep up the habit, can't say i *completely* break even but i do OK, especially with the boom over the last two years. i've been lurking on every music forum from ilxor to waxidermy to reddit to SH, but i particularly like to talk vinyl–glad to see this place exists!

the collection is up to about 4500 records, mostly LPs. can't think of a genre that isn't represented (maybe symphonic music? not a fan) but high concentrations of 90s indie rock, ambient, exotica, west-coast jazz, crime jazz, windy city soul, country blues, minimalism, international string instruments, gamelan, post-punk, and vaporwave. favorite albums are big star's "3rd/sister lovers," gilberto gil's self-titled record from 1968 (with os mutantes), and "love me forever" by carlton & the shoes.
Welcome to the best place on the internet!

Sadly, I'm witcha on the early onset dementia confusion.

Every time I see @siremobunny my little pea brain processes Sire Mobunny.

But not on @nolalady. Anytime you see N-O-L-A in succession, it's all Bourbon Street and beignets.
I thought @nolalady was No LA lady at first, but then I noticed from comments that it was the state not the city and it clicked. The one I always read wrong in my head is @imajindat, which I always read as I'm a jindat 😅😅😅 (don't know what a jindat would be though 😂).

Welcome neighbor :)

Welcome! 4500 records start to be a serious addiction! :)

Back