Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Just found the forum and thought I'd join up.

I've been a hifi enthusiast for about half a century (since middle school) and returned to vinyl listening a few years ago - after a 30 year break.
Fan of indie/alternative music and I still try and attend live music shows often.
'Mainstream' favorite artists include R.E.M., Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and The Who. Less mainstream favorite artists include: the Feelies, Fountains of Wayne, Luna, Marshall Crenshaw, Laurie Anderson, Warren Zevon, the Smithereens and Graham Parker. I'm also interested in blues and other genres, and would like to learn more about Jazz.
My vinyl collection stands at about 900 albums, mostly collected over the past 8 years (I'm one of those guys that made the unfortunate decision to give up a vinyl collection for a CD collection in the 1980s/90s). I've decided to try and curate my vinyl collection to a maximum of about 1,200 which is the limit of my current storage capacity. The plan is to use vinyl and SACD as my 'highest end' sources for critical listening (and showing off), while turning to streaming/networked digital (via Roon) for casual playback.
I consider my system to be 'high value' - meaning that I think I've achieved excellent performance with high-ish end gear, but still within the budget I'm able to work with. I'm here to learn - and share my experience/knowledge where I can.

Joe
Welcome! We have another Joe here, he'll hate it if I start referring to him as "Joe2" so this is totally what I'm going to do. Thank you for this opportunity to antagonize him.

If you feel so inclined, post a picture of your setup either here or in the "What Makes Your Vinyl Spin" thread. Always fun to see new systems in action.

Cheers.

I've been a hifi enthusiast for about half a century (since middle school) and returned to vinyl listening a few years ago - after a 30 year break.
Fan of indie/alternative music and I still try and attend live music shows often.
'Mainstream' favorite artists include R.E.M., Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and The Who. Less mainstream favorite artists include: the Feelies, Fountains of Wayne, Luna, Marshall Crenshaw, Laurie Anderson, Warren Zevon, the Smithereens and Graham Parker. I'm also interested in blues and other genres, and would like to learn more about Jazz.
My vinyl collection stands at about 900 albums, mostly collected over the past 8 years (I'm one of those guys that made the unfortunate decision to give up a vinyl collection for a CD collection in the 1980s/90s). I've decided to try and curate my vinyl collection to a maximum of about 1,200 which is the limit of my current storage capacity. The plan is to use vinyl and SACD as my 'highest end' sources for critical listening (and showing off), while turning to streaming/networked digital (via Roon) for casual playback.
I consider my system to be 'high value' - meaning that I think I've achieved excellent performance with high-ish end gear, but still within the budget I'm able to work with. I'm here to learn - and share my experience/knowledge where I can.

Joe
Welcome!

I know where you're coming from; like you, I have two eras of collecting. I had such a great collection of classic rock in my high school years in the 80s...I probably only have like 20 left from those days and yeah, I actually bought stuff again.

I think you'll like it here. There are so many great threads, and a kind, intelligent community of people.
Cheers!

Joe
Welcome! There are several threads dedicated to jazz on here. Lots of folks discovering music together on these forums. I’d definitely peek into those. Welcome!

Joe
Welcome, I can relate to your journey ;)

We're a fun and informative group, would love to see the rig ;)

Enjoy!

Joe

Welcome Joe! Lot of PrimaLuna and Sutherland folks here.. you'll fit right in!!

Welcome! We have another Joe here, he'll hate it if I start referring to him as "Joe2" so this is totally what I'm going to do. Thank you for this opportunity to antagonize him.

If you feel so inclined, post a picture of your setup either here or in the "What Makes Your Vinyl Spin" thread. Always fun to see new systems in action.

Cheers.
Us 'Joes' are everywhere.

I posted a couple of photos in "What Makes Your Vinyl Spin" thread. I ended up with an unintended attachment in that post that I haven't figured out how to delete (newb).

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Joe
Howdy Joe and welcome to the best place on the world 🌎 wide web 🙂

The Sutherland Club House is very fancy. They have fine wines and lots of mahogany.

They also have rats, rats with suitcase Crosleys.

I mean, that's just what I've heard, I'm not allowed in there but like, I'm fine with that. Whatever.

Last edited:

Joe
Welcome to the best forum on the interwebs! Most of us are very friendly and full of good information, if I were you, I wouldn’t discuss anything Steely Dan with @Mather. He has a murder dungeon and he’s not afraid to use it. 😏

The Sutherland Club House is very fancy. They have fine wines and lots of mahogany.

They also have rats, rats with suitcase Crosleys.

I mean, that's just what I've heard, I'm not allowed in there but like, I'm fine with that. Whatever.
Well, I'm an 'entry level' Sutherland guy.
Beer and oak at my place.

About the Steely Dan thing... give me a break, I'm old.
It's the sound of my youth.

lol

Well, I'm an 'entry level' Sutherland guy.
Beer and oak at my place.

About the Steely Dan thing... give me a break, I'm old.
It's the sound of my youth.
We don’t understand his aversion to them either, mostly we just nod our heads and agree, with an occasional jab for fun. We get our licks in when we can 😁

Joe
Welcome joe1 @Joe Mac

Welcome to the best forum on the interwebs! Most of us are very friendly and full of good information, if I were you, I wouldn’t discuss anything Steely Dan with @Mather. He has a murder dungeon and he’s not afraid to use it. 😏
HOW DID YOU FORGET TO MENTION IT’S HIS BIRTHDAY? How is new joe gonna learn?

Cheers.

8F613D45-6B51-41FE-AAF9-422555BBE248.gif

Back