Vinyl Storage Recommendation

The USM Slander in here, I can't stand for it. I'm in love with mine, the touchpoints are incredibly high quality. Its actually pleasurable to open and close those cabinets lol.

I think in the future I'd eye a smaller unit to add as a standalone gear rack.
View attachment 196947
Yeah but I could by like 30 Kallax's.

P.S. Big Thief!

Yeah but I could by like 30 Kallax's.

P.S. Big Thief!
yeah but ... shiny knobs!

Indeed Big Thief, I sometimes forget how good their albums are and then listen and go o_O

Fun fact, I got to see them at a secret friends & family show out in the deserts of California in October 2022. It was like myself, my wife, and my friend and like 30 other people. The night ended with us sitting around a camp fire with Adrianne, Buck, and the band drinking warm beers around a campfire. My life has been all downhill since then. 473D6329-F981-4A4C-8204-BD51307D49BE_1_105_c.jpeg2777087D-4491-4791-8A57-C9A734B6E6CF_1_105_c.jpeg

yeah but ... shiny knobs!

Indeed Big Thief, I sometimes forget how good their albums are and then listen and go o_O

Fun fact, I got to see them at a secret friends & family show out in the deserts of California in October 2022. It was like myself, my wife, and my friend and like 30 other people. The night ended with us sitting around a camp fire with Adrianne, Buck, and the band drinking warm beers around a campfire. My life has been all downhill since then. View attachment 196954View attachment 196955
My biggest claim to fame is having some bands play in my college dorm basement. Woods, Vivian Girls, DIIV, others I can't remember...

Anybody ever added "after-market" legs to a Kallax?

Reason being is I have to (at least temporarily) move some of my collection and storage to the basement. While it is a conditioned space and stays generally dry, I worry about putting the Kallax directly on the carpet since there could still be some humidity coming up from the 50 year old slab...

I know IKEA has a new base leg system, but I am reading that any Kallax older than a few years will be too wide to fit.

I was looking at something like these from Home Depot, with the understanding that I may need to use 6 or more to hold the weight of a 4x2 Kallax (only half full but still).

EDIT: Nevermind on that link.... Weight capacity is only 10 pounds on those...
I bought two sets of 2x4 Kallax units last summer with the Ikea metal leg structures. I like them.

My thing is with the kallax, that you pretty much need to build them, set them up and leave them alone. They seem to have issues if you move them. As such, I’m not real keen on relocating them and then putting them on top of any feet. But you do what you have to do.

My cab comes from these guys out your way Joe. I love their stuff. The price is much higher than when I bought it but honestly for the quality it's still very reasonable. They ship worldwide.

Yeah I’ve seen it and always liked the look of your one. It’s probably beyond what I want to pay given I probably need a 5x5 next to fit all my vinyl and then I’m out of space. I do have these, and a couple of other bespoke type companies, on bookmark for if I ever buy a house!

Yeah I’ve seen it and always liked the look of your one. It’s probably beyond what I want to pay given I probably need a 5x5 next to fit all my vinyl and then I’m out of space. I do have these, and a couple of other bespoke type companies, on bookmark for if I ever buy a house!
It's a shame because I bought mine less than 5 years ago and at the time it was £460. Now more than double.

It's a shame because I bought mine less than 5 years ago and at the time it was £460. Now more than double.

Yeah and it’s also really that they don’t seem to do big tall units and in an apartment I kinda have to go upwards because wall space is limited. Plus at that size the price would be absolutely crazy.

My thing is with the kallax, that you pretty much need to build them, set them up and leave them alone. They seem to have issues if you move them. As such, I’m not real keen on relocating them and then putting them on top of any feet. But you do what you have to do.
Never had any issues on that front and I moved one like a week ago.

Random: way earlier in this thread a few people recommended the backspacers from Turntable Revival. I took the plunge in late December. I have received several emails that essentially said that the items were never in stock (despite showing the opposite when I ordered) and what I would deem responses with material ambiguity. My question is for those that have ordered before: is this company legit? I am concerned.

Random: way earlier in this thread a few people recommended the backspacers from Turntable Revival. I took the plunge in late December. I have received several emails that essentially said that the items were never in stock (despite showing the opposite when I ordered) and what I would deem responses with material ambiguity. My question is for those that have ordered before: is this company legit? I am concerned.
I haven't ordered from them before but their presence online suggests they are legit, just that they grew in popularity and it's (I think) just one dude fulfilling orders.

Yeah they’re legit. I got mine. They aren’t always in stock though, I think they come in and out in batches and you had to wait for them to be in stock to place an order. I don’t remember them taking orders when out of stock before but I might be wrong.

I can vouch for them, I ordered from them for my Kallax back in the day. Simple and did the trick!

I ordered mine back in 2021, but at the time I had no issues. It was about 3 weeks from time of order until they arrived in my mailbox.

They always seem a little wobblier than when they were new after I move them. Not that it matters as I have mounted the five by fives to the walls and will the new one too. I ain’t moving them ever.
I went the DIY route with my Kallax. I added 1/4” particle board to the back to give them some rigidity and then use 1” x 12” square dowels in the cubes to keep the records from going to deep into the cube holes. Works well and they are very stable when I move them, which is not very often.

Back