Vinyl Storage Recommendation

gorgeous, does the receiver ever get too hot behind the door?
No the unit is completely open backed. There is an internal shelf as well, so av receiver, headphone amp, htpc (nuc) , Apple TV , cable box and Xbox are all in there. Only time the door is opened is when the Xbox is used.

Reciever is a Primare i35 , so slightly deeper than the unit, and to accommodate the storage is stepped away from the wall by c.10cm which helps with airflow.

so, im moving out of my apartment in gville in less than 4 months and back to my parents' house for the moment. i have half of my collection there already in the living room at the bottom of a bookshelf/TV stand furniture set from IKEA. it's now time for me to move the other half that's with me right now back down to south florida. I dont know if im going to move to another apartment just yet, so i'll need to be able to store my entire collection at my parents' for a while. I think i will buy a 2x4 kallax set which should be enough for everything and build it at my parents house. the only sort of problem will be that i'll have to put the entire collection in someone's room and my parents probably wont like that, but oh well, there's really no other choice. and there's also the fact that once i do move out of my parents' house to another apartment, i'll have to take that newly-bought kallax with me during move-out which would be annoying but, again, oh well 😩

edit: wait, i just realized that i have more stuff than what would fit on a regular 2 by 4 kallax. ugghh, this makes things a bit more complicated, but whatever, i'll figure it out

Last edited:
My wife finally reluctantly agreed to let me get a 5x5 kallax today under the promise that I can never ever exceed it or buy vinyl storage every again(which is fair).

I noticed they're sold out pretty much everywhere right now though and won't ship to my location. Does anyone know if they go in and out of stock too often?

My wife finally reluctantly agreed to let me get a 5x5 kallax today under the promise that I can never ever exceed it or buy vinyl storage every again(which is fair).

I noticed they're sold out pretty much everywhere right now though and won't ship to my location. Does anyone know if they go in and out of stock too often?
IKEA’s stock fluctuates a lot I’m assuming because of the pandemic. Just continue to keep an eye on it or sign up to be notified. I’d also check stock in the morning rather than late in the day.

No the unit is completely open backed. There is an internal shelf as well, so av receiver, headphone amp, htpc (nuc) , Apple TV , cable box and Xbox are all in there. Only time the door is opened is when the Xbox is used.

Reciever is a Primare i35 , so slightly deeper than the unit, and to accommodate the storage is stepped away from the wall by c.10cm which helps with airflow.
I had all that stuff hidden away in a Kallax shelf and it warped my records , luckily it was a bunch of thrift store finds!

just be careful about the heat source!

Any recs on some cardboard crates or bins? Planning to use them mostly for moving my 350-ish LP collection, but possibly using as long-term storage for more records or other things. Currently eyeing these bad boys from Sleeve City.

Thanks, team!

Any recs on some cardboard crates or bins? Planning to use them mostly for moving my 350-ish LP collection, but possibly using as long-term storage for more records or other things. Currently eyeing these bad boys from Sleeve City.

Thanks, team!
Those (or something like it) are probably best for long-term storage. I think I bought some awhile back from some company on ebay. Otherwise, for a move, I just buy boxes from UHaul or other shipping stores.

Thanks, team!
I just went to the local U Store It place and bought boxes there- 29 of them. They worked great for a local move and were a hell of a lot less expensive.

I'll second the UHaul small size boxes. They're the perfect size and super cheap. Used them exclusively my last two moves with no issues.

Those are much cheaper, thank you!

Those (or something like it) are probably best for long-term storage. I think I bought some awhile back from some company on ebay. Otherwise, for a move, I just buy boxes from UHaul or other shipping stores.

are these boxes stackable?? it's ok if they aren't, but once i move my records back to my parents' house, they will most likely be there indefinitely

are these boxes stackable?? it's ok if they aren't, but once i move my records back to my parents' house, they will most likely be there indefinitely
Not sure. I have some records in storage in these boxes but haven’t stacked them. They are on a metal shelving unit. I’d be a bit worried about warping especially if you’re filling them with LPs.

i only would need a box for crate for like 3 7" and 2 10"

The Sleeve City boxes are stackable. If you watch the video at the link @MikeH provided, you'll see that there is a bit of space between the top of the albums in the box and the top of the box, and with a lid on the box, stacking is possible without the records bearing any of the effect.

Not sure. I have some records in storage in these boxes but haven’t stacked them. They are on a metal shelving unit. I’d be a bit worried about warping especially if you’re filling them with LPs.
yea, im aware of this. i have one u-haul box completely filled with records rn, but i have the box filled with two box sets at each end so that the rest of Lps are less likely to get warped rn

my storage is a USM Haller unit, also used for speaker stands for the Harbeth M30’s.
Receiver behind the door. Phono and turntable away from the kids on the shelving to the right.
View attachment 85946
Love your Harbeth's. Are they the .1 or .2s? They are top of the my wishlist for my next major upgrade (with the Dynaudio Special 40s or Lintons as back up)

I swapped 16 expedit / kallax cubes worth of pool noodles for the Turntable Revival Backspacer “Skinny”. I am very pleased with the results!!
Just out of curiosity, did it take a while for them to ship the backspacers? Not too worried about it, but I ordered about 10 days ago and haven't received a shipping notice yet so just wondering what kind of turnaround time others experienced.

Back