Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Part of it seems to be the OCD-ness of records not lining up or some getting pushed further back than others. The cubes are deeper than the records are so these line em up closer to the front of the cubes.

For me, it’s that the just keep going back too far because there’s no stopper. The clear things look really cool and if I had empty shelves I’d try them. The pool noodles have served me well though. I got black ones and on the dark wood piece I put in the back, they are not really that visible.
You know, I never thought of that in that way, mine is up against a wall so nothing is going too far back............I get it now. Just a thought, but a piece of 1x1 from your local Home Depot to length and painted to your liking would be really inexpensive ;)

......ok, I gotta ask, why is this such an issue to so many people? I've never minded and or thought about why the LPs sat back a couple inches in the Kallax, am I missing something? Lord knows I hate being left out ;)

With thick skirting boards the records have a decent gap that they are sticking out the back before using the wall as their resting point. I’d love a solution like this if someone over here designs/markets one. I’d definitely prefer the shallower one though because I like a bit of shelf showing at the front too.

You know, I never thought of that in that way, mine is up against a wall so nothing is going too far back............I get it now. Just a thought, but a piece of 1x1 from your local Home Depot to length and painted to your liking would be really inexpensive ;)
Yea--I've seen people glue some cut wood pieces to the back of the kallax. The pool noodle is a popular option since it's soft though and record sleeves don't get dented if you push them far back enough. Also for me, i lived in an apartment in a city so didn't have easy access to any tools to cut pieces of wood to the right size so I saw the appeal of the pool noodle but ended up upgrading my shelving to Mapleshade instead.

Yep, I got some hardboard from Home Depot for the backs of all of mine. Looks great and adds shear strength. The pool noodles just keep them all lined up front.

I cut up strips of wood, used a quick wood stain & stuck them to the back of each shelving unit with some no more nails. It was quite cheap & works quite well. I'm not sure that I would bother with the staining next time as I'm always really struggling for space so you never see the back of the shelf unless you take a few records out.

Screenshot 2020-12-29 at 18.12.16.png

I cut up strips of wood, used a quick wood stain & stuck them to the back of each shelving unit with some no more nails. It was quite cheap & works quite well. I'm not sure that I would bother with the staining next time as I'm always really struggling for space so you never see the back of the shelf unless you take a few records out.

View attachment 81801
This is basically what I did with my Kallax. Worked great.

I actually prefer my records to be pushed back and that’s why I went all Handy Manny on my shelves and put plywood backing on them. Plus I really hate dust and I feel that cuts down on it coming in from the back.

can someone tell me whether or not putting led strips above my records on the underside of the shelf is a good idea or not

i have trouble seeing my records during peak dark and cozy hours

can someone tell me whether or not putting led strips above my records on the underside of the shelf is a good idea or not

I don’t think they would harm or warp your records.

My only issue with this would be that (assuming you're talking about Kallaxes) there's not a whole lot of room under there so it might be tougher to get the records out of the shelf.

View attachment 81801

I've actually been considering doing something like this, but have been too lazy so far. One of my Kallax is flush with the wall, so that one doesn't matter, but I got a few out in the open and I've had a record or two fall out of the back on occasion. So this would be a perfect solution.

Personally I actually like my records pushed to the back of the shelves.

in my current tiny living space, all my records are behind doors so I don't have to worry about cat or dust. I don't even think about if I'd prefer the records flush or pushed back, unsure what I'd do in a different space. prob something a pain like a medium option of one inch back from edge.

How do you deal with the issue that each cube needs its own strip of light, which presumably would be cut to fit but also need to be powered?

Do you use 4-pin connector cables that you snake along the upper edge of the left and right sides of the cubes and through the back side to connect each strip? I'm assuming you won't want anything visible on the front side of the unit.

How do you deal with the issue that each cube needs its own strip of light, which presumably would be cut to fit but also need to be powered?

Do you use 4-pin connector cables that you snake along the upper edge of the left and right sides of the cubes and through the back side to connect each strip? I'm assuming you won't want anything visible on the front side of the unit.

Yeah, when i thought about it i forgot the kallax cubes are flush, aka no continuous under-shelf.

wonder if these could work depending on their length . I guess cords could be taped to the top ? i don't think i'll have the necessary clearance though

Yeah, when i thought about it i forgot the kallax cubes are flush, aka no continuous under-shelf.

wonder if these could work depending on their length . I guess cords could be taped to the top ? i don't think i'll have the necessary clearance though

I think that's the biggest issue in the end....

Back