Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

But what if VMP do Michael Jackson’s Off The Wall as a Classics ROTM!!!?! That’ll be the absolute best thing ever!!! 🌈

We all know that would never happen but imagine that! 😍🤯

And wouldn’t be nice if we got Diana Ross’ Diana Ross (1980)! That would be a killer pick and listening to Upside Down and I’m Coming Out on a high quality audiophile would be so joyful! 😁

I want classics to stay to what it's memo was when I first signed up. Blues, Jazz, Soul.

I want classics to stay to what it's memo was when I first signed up. Blues, Jazz, Soul.
I like it mainly like that too! I love some funk as well but yes, jazz, soul and blues are what I mainly like when it comes to the Classics ROTM picks!

Definitely was a bit disappointed in the Bar-Kay’s Money Talks ROTM pick! And even the Isaac Hayes ROTM pick, which is funk with a hint of disco, was disappointing too!

Blues seems like an election promise.

I only count 7 out of 46 albums (~15%) as Blues, and 3 of those were in the first 9 albums.
JLH, Little Milton, Koko Taylor, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, BB King, and Albert King (And that seems more like a Blues artist doing a pop covers album, but it’s close enough I guess.)

Blues seems like an election promise.

I only count 7 out of 46 albums (~15%) as Blues, and 3 of those were in the first 9 albums.
JLH, Little Milton, Koko Taylor, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, BB King, and Albert King (And that seems more like a Blues artist doing a pop covers album, but it’s close enough I guess.)
We need more Blues!!!!!! 🙋‍♂️🎸

But also, so that big ol' metal arm just kinda, scrapes all across the bottom side of the record as it drops it down huh? That's.... horrifying...

-ponders whether destroying all his records are worth getting up from the couch 50% less-

-lights cigarette-

Let's do this shit.
Going back a bit in this discuss but wanted to say my parents had a huge unit I used a lot when I was very young (between 6-10). I recall the arm fixing it all in pace an me stacking 5 random records on it. No thought for the record and well I’m fairly sure that was the same needle throughout its lifespan :)
Ive not got a single double album in record changer order but if I did it wouldn’t ever get played in the correct order. And nor would I care.
When UK COVID lockdown is lifted I’m making a mental note to visit and see if they can dig out a picture of that record player.

Going back a bit in this discuss but wanted to say my parents had a huge unit I used a lot when I was very young (between 6-10). I recall the arm fixing it all in pace an me stacking 5 random records on it. No thought for the record and well I’m fairly sure that was the same needle throughout its lifespan :)
Ive not got a single double album in record changer order but if I did it wouldn’t ever get played in the correct order. And nor would I care.
When UK COVID lockdown is lifted I’m making a mental note to visit and see if they can dig out a picture of that record player.
This made me think back to my first turntable. It was a Bang and Olufsen Beogram 1001 which previously belonged to my grandfather and which my dad dug out when he realised I was looking for one. As I was setting it up my dad was reminiscing and told me how he remembers how difficult it was to find a replacement stylus. Even back then (im guessing mid to late 70's) it cost a few hundred quid for a replacement which had to be imported.

When I was given it the speed was off, so I was playing around with it. Its one of these systems where the platter rotates as soon as the tonearm swings over. I was testing it and stupidly forgot to turn it off at the wall. Ended up giving myself a shock (luckily it wasnt powerful enough to do damage) and learnt an important lesson that day :ROFLMAO:

Heres a stock photo of it, its a beauty.

cbf1e033-cd86-4618-8ca5-860e5bdba70f.jpg

If you're a New Order fan, listen to "Our Love" by Donna Summer. I can't find the provenance, but I read/saw an interview with New Order (Maybe in New Order Story) and they said they came up with Blue Monday as a riff on it so they would have a long song they could play at the end and just leave the stage early. I think it's still the best selling 12" of all time.

If you're a New Order fan, listen to "Our Love" by Donna Summer. I can't find the provenance, but I read/saw an interview with New Order (Maybe in New Order Story) and they said they came up with Blue Monday as a riff on it so they would have a long song they could play at the end and just leave the stage early. I think it's still the best selling 12" of all time.

I think I heard that story as well...maybe in the Transmissions Podcast?

Glad to see the Chat feature is back on the VMP site. Was able to request going backward from a swap for credit to getting the Prine this month in a matter of minutes, and checked on status of a couple of things quickly. Nice to see something improved.

Soon as I saw Donna Summer I anxiety rushed to the store to pre order it, then as I normally do, checked the internet to validate my decision :) was surprised to see lots of negativity in Reddit for it (“most unnecessary release of the year” “pick it up in any dollar bucket”, usual crap). Personally I think this is frickin awesome and will live right next to my Patrice Rushens. Very pleased

Back