Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Pretty solid but in 01-04 Philly wasn't the big scene of R&B
You did have Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild and Dwele who were all really relevant around that time in the R&B scene! I can imagine the music scene in R&B/neo-soul would’ve been cool over there during those years! 😍

You did have Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild and Dwele who were all really relevant around that time in the R&B scene! I can imagine the music scene in R&B/neo-soul would’ve been cool over there during those years! 😍
Tbh I didn't know Jill Scott was from Philly

Tbh I didn't know Jill Scott was from Philly
Yeah! She was closely affiliated with The Roots in the late 90’s! The Roots are also from Philly! Philadelphia seems like it had a cool alternative R&B scene back then! I’d love to visit the city and eat cheesesteaks and other comforting foods! 😋

Eve is from Philly too. Originally, the song “You Got Me” by The Roots was with Eve and Jill Scott, but Erykah Badu replaced Jill Scott as Jill Scott wasn’t known and Erykah had a strong reputation! 💡

You Got Me by The Roots is a classic Philly song! ♥️

She co-wrote and originally sang on The Roots' You Got Me, but MCA asked for a bigger name.
Mmmmm literally! I love her demo, it’s definitely more expressive and heartfelt. Erykah Badu’s performance is stunning and reflective though! Love both versions of the chorus!

I guess you’re not far off! Like Philadelphia is very close to New York!
To a degree; but I will say that New York and Philadelphia music scenes, trends, studios, and bands varied as much as if they were much further apart. Of course we had some cross-pollination, but you had your identity, your sports teams, and your local TV channels that set you apart. People took pride in their home towns.

I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and didn't venture into New York until I was in college. And although I took many trips into the city of Philadelphia itself, it really wasn't similar to New York City at all.

Or this one? My guess is no😂

MOFI is doing a One Step too. All aboard the 50th Anniversary train. I was lucky to find a sealed OG at a local shop for like $15, otherwise I would jump at this. Fantastic album. So is Cheap Thrills.

Back