Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

But I don't understand when you say they had them "labeled." Did they publicize them as such somewhere? Or did they just show up exclusively in SWAPs? (b/c that has happened many times in the past)
There was a little label on them in the swap menu that said "Swap Exclusive":

screenshot_20200224-223233_reddit-jpg.34170

I'm not foreclosing on getting the Caroline Rose "Essential", but I'm definitely not going to buy it until I've heard the whole record.
Same. I think it’ll be good but I’d rather just buy it on Discogs for $20 after I know I’ll like it. Hell the VMP version is probably going to put out more vinyl copies than the regular version is going to sell.

There was a little label on them in the swap menu that said "Swap Exclusive":

screenshot_20200224-223233_reddit-jpg.34170
Ohhhh shit! I didn't notice that! Well I think the idea is great (to have reserved titles for members), except of course when those titles were previously said to be OOS to members for replacements. That's fucked.

But y'all are right. The swap-lock is making this a mess. If that didn't exist, the game of rushing to SWAPs would still be exciting and valuable for members, but then tracks opening after the initial rush would still be an option.

there’s really no way to know which album will be most popular each month.
See, I guess this is where I disagree. Or at least it shouldn't be hard to judge - do they really not know their customers that much?

I feel like if folks here and on the Reddit sub have a great idea and feel for the popularity of a given title; VMP should, too. Maybe my mistake is putting faith in them to be good at such a basic element of a business - knowing your customer.

I like the idea of “swap exclusives” and it helps that I’m not interested in the picks or already have a copy I’m happy with. This is going to be interesting going forward if it continues and they have a month where all 3 tracks are bangers and they throw up exclusives that are also bangers, then what?
Basically happened last month with Aretha, Roots, & El-P when Freedom Rider showed up as a late swap (though it was also briefly available for purchase at full price). But just swap Essentials. Even the fastest moving essentials recently (QOTSA and De La Soul) had at least one month in SWAPs.

I like the idea of “swap exclusives” and it helps that I’m not interested in the picks or already have a copy I’m happy with. This is going to be interesting going forward if it continues and they have a month where all 3 tracks are bangers and they throw up exclusives that are also bangers, then what?
Chaos, Bedlam and Anarchy

Any opinions on Hud Dreems? Considering this or one of the Townes Van Zandt albums as a swap. :unsure:
The package is nice, the discs look great, sound pretty good. But it's available elsewhere. I'd go TVZ if you're 50/50.

TVZ is also available elsewhere (unless it’s sold out?). I really like HUD Dreams, although I got the black version and original cover from Turntable Lab.

I’m actually considering TVZ. With this crazy swap business (can only swap once which I didn’t know), I have a TVZ swapped for Caroline Rose and Blackalicious swapped for Classics. I’m thinking it might be good to expand my collection with country/folk, but I also might ask customer service to take it off.

I've wondered before if we may be discounting there are probably a decent amount of people who don't even bother seeing what the swaps are and just have the ROTM come in. I'd guess that number isn't particularly large but I could see there being a segment that just signs up for a service and doesn't bother to swap or look at the options. How much is this site and Reddit versus their total number of subscribers? Also, I'd imagine when they enter into an agreement with the labels, a certain number of records have to be produced.

TVZ is also available elsewhere (unless it’s sold out?). I really like HUD Dreams, although I got the black version and original cover from Turntable Lab.

I’m actually considering TVZ. With this crazy swap business (can only swap once which I didn’t know), I have a TVZ swapped for Caroline Rose and Blackalicious swapped for Classics. I’m thinking it might be good to expand my collection with country/folk, but I also might ask customer service to take it off.
I keep telling myself to stream the TVZ albums, but I'm stuck in discovering early 2000s indie rock. It was just before my time, and I'm realizing how tasty it all it is.

I've wondered before if we may be discounting there are probably a decent amount of people who don't even bother seeing what the swaps are and just have the ROTM come in. I'd guess that number isn't particularly large but I could see there being a segment that just signs up for a service and doesn't bother to swap or look at the options.

This is me. Which makes me a little annoyed at the whole "swap exclusive thing"...here are choices exclusive to members...as long as they're members who decided they don't want the thing VMP curated for them. I don't see my membership going on for much longer so it's not a big deal, it's just an interesting subset of members to choose to offer the remaining stock of exclusives to.

I've wondered before if we may be discounting there are probably a decent amount of people who don't even bother seeing what the swaps are and just have the ROTM come in. I'd guess that number isn't particularly large but I could see there being a segment that just signs up for a service and doesn't bother to swap or look at the options. How much is this site and Reddit versus their total number of subscribers?

I'd wager you're actually describing the majority of their members (if anything because most of us who followed them closely have already jumped ship!).

This is me. Which makes me a little annoyed at the whole "swap exclusive thing"...here are choices exclusive to members...as long as they're members who decided they don't want the thing VMP curated for them. I don't see my membership going on for much longer so it's not a big deal, it's just an interesting subset of members to choose to offer the remaining stock of exclusives to.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the idea. I never swap because I signed up for the VMP curation. It's cool they offer swaps, but to not be able to access to these unless I decide to not get one of the curated choices kind of sucks.

But oh well. Can't make everyone happy.

Back