Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the idea. I never swap because I signed up for the VMP curation. It's cool they offer swaps, but to not be able to access to these unless I decide to not get one of the curated choices kind of sucks.

But oh well. Can't make everyone happy.

Yeah, in a way it makes sense since it's presumably titles with super limited stock that would otherwise go too quickly, and on top of that it's stuff that we had a chance to buy already before, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Yeah, in a way it makes sense since it's presumably titles with super limited stock that would otherwise go too quickly, and on top of that it's stuff that we had a chance to buy already before, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Yeah, fortunately for me I don't really sleep on exclusives I want since I have bad FOMO and know I don't swap. So hopefully it doesnt ever hit me that hard. Still a surprising decision to me though.

I suppose they had to do something to improve swaps though with all the complaints (though I think it's cool they even allow swaps for all 3 tracks in the first place). This seems to make people happy so good for them.

See, I guess this is where I disagree. Or at least it shouldn't be hard to judge - do they really not know their customers that much?

I feel like if folks here and on the Reddit sub have a great idea and feel for the popularity of a given title; VMP should, too. Maybe my mistake is putting faith in them to be good at such a basic element of a business - knowing your customer.
Here and the Reddit sub make up a very very small section of VMP user base. I have friends who subscribe to VMP who don’t use Reddit or forums and didn’t even know you could swap tracks. The subscriber base is so diverse partially because VMP doesn’t know who their customer base is and they are trying to throw everything at the wall. You have the people who are just getting into vinyl, you have audiophiles who are buying the AP pressings they just released, you have hip hop heads, people signing up to get 1 album, etc. I mean just look at this months’ options—they are all over the place. You also have the benefit and the curse of social media influencing people’s choices. I feel like 70+% of people who bought something like Still Woozy hadn’t even listened to it and just bought it because people online had hyped it so much.

VMP has had a number of albums I was SURE would sell out that ended up being in the store for months and months (I was so sure Lil Wayne would sell out quickly because it’s a great rap album and was hard to find on vinyl. We know from Storf that they thought Fancy Free and Paramount Tapes would sell out really quickly and those are still in the store a year+ later. I don’t think it’s as easy as you’d think to know what their customer base wants because they don’t really have a typical customer demographic they have been reaching out to.

the other thing I think you may be forgetting is that these albums are already pressed way before the public knows what the records are. So for all the people against something like Patrice Rushen, we have hindsight to judge that pick whereas VMP doesn’t really. To be fair, I don’t think I ever would have chosen that as the ROTM anyway...but a lot also has to do with partnerships, connections, etc.

I don’t think they know who their customers are and a bunch of that is their own fault. Getting rid of the one month subs was an effort to get an idea of how many people are locked in as subscribers but swaps makes it harder to predict who wants what. And with their curation seemingly becoming weaker, swaps are even more prevalent. I’ve seen quite a lot of people not even wanting any of the three ROTMs and just buying based on resale or what other people are hyping.

This is me. Which makes me a little annoyed at the whole "swap exclusive thing"...here are choices exclusive to members...as long as they're members who decided they don't want the thing VMP curated for them. I don't see my membership going on for much longer so it's not a big deal, it's just an interesting subset of members to choose to offer the remaining stock of exclusives to.
Oh I think the swap exclusive thing is better for members so that’s interesting you feel that way. I’d rather have these exclusives go to members than the general public and flippers able to grab them. I was about to cancel this month because there wasn’t anything in swaps left that I was interested in last month. I ended up grabbing three albums instead...

Oh I think the swap exclusive thing is better for members so that’s interesting you feel that way. I’d rather have these exclusives go to members than the general public and flippers able to grab them.

It's not that they're only available for members that I have an issue with (to the extent it can even be called an issue...more just something I was ever so slightly annoyed by). It's that they're only available to members who are swapping their monthly album. Overall, I definitely prefer seeing sales to members only, especially when stock is limited.

It's not that they're only available for members that I have an issue with (to the extent it can even be called an issue...more just something I was ever so slightly annoyed by). It's that they're only available to members who are swapping their monthly album. Overall, I definitely prefer seeing sales to members only, especially when stock is limited.
Ah. Gotcha. For me, it's almost better...because I only pay $23 for those swaps now instead of the full member pricing they have added. The add-on tracks are monthly and can be cancelled every time. I could see it being annoying if you want to keep all 3 tracks this month, but for me it was a no-brainer to add the tracks and swap since I didn't want any of the ROTMs this time around and three items were available for swapping that I have been looking for.

you can listen to 7 of the songs in horrible quality and they all make me not want to listen to it
I tried this. Just the difference in sound quality between YouTube and this phone system is staggering. The phone is butchering the audio, which I'd kind of expect.

Not saying anyone would like or dislike this album because of the phone campaign. Just saying don't judge it too much by the phone call. I don't think that's representative of the audio quality.

I tried this. Just the difference in sound quality between YouTube and this phone system is staggering. The phone is butchering the audio, which I'd kind of expect.

Not saying anyone would like or dislike this album because of the phone campaign. Just saying don't judge it too much by the phone call. I don't think that's representative of the audio quality.
They set up an automatic answering type service and made it sound like an old phone service. It's not meant to sound crystal clear. It's just a silly gimmick. I know some people who set up one of these for fun awhile back called Call and Oates and you could dial-in and hit 1 for Rich Girl, 2 for I Can't Go For That, etc. To each their own, but it does seem a bit unfair to judge the album as a whole based on a marketing campaign and sound quality of something that's not meant to sound good.

To each their own, but it does seem a bit unfair to judge the album as a whole based on a marketing campaign and sound quality of something that's not meant to sound good.
The problem is we only have 2 singles. One ok and one great so I'm using the marketing to judge if I would really want to use this or swap for blazing Arrow and save 23 bucks. And the horrible sound of the phone machine made it impossible to imagine what the songs sound like or sound pretty bad and completely different. So I decided to just swap

The problem is we only have 2 singles. One ok and one great so I'm using the marketing to judge if I would really want to use this or swap for blazing Arrow and save 23 bucks. And the horrible sound of the phone machine made it impossible to imagine what the songs sound like or sound pretty bad and completely different. So I decided to just swap
Fair enough. But that's the issue with preordering any new album anyway right? You don't know what all the songs sound like. And to be fair, it's why I almost never get the ROTM when it's a new album unless I really love everything the artist has done...It's a weird marketing ploy but I thought it's a bit fun and out of the ordinary.

I know this selection isn't pleasing to everyone given the idea of what an "essential record" should be or even if a new release would ever qualify as that but there's something really cool about VMP using their subscription service to help push out a new release from an artist that could use some help with increasing her profile and showcasing her talent. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Caroline Rose versus bigger or more established names like Sleater Kinney as a new release "Essential".

I know this selection isn't pleasing to everyone given the idea of what an "essential record" should be or even if a new release would ever qualify as that but there's something really cool about VMP using their subscription service to help push out a new release from an artist that could use some help with increasing her profile and showcasing her talent. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Caroline Rose versus bigger or more established names like Sleater Kinney as a new release "Essential".
Maybe I would have preferred it if it was like say slowthai or ivy soul or even masseduction in which it was already on Spotify so we could see if we actually liked it first

Back