Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I know this selection isn't pleasing to everyone given the idea of what an "essential record" should be or even if a new release would ever qualify as that but there's something really cool about VMP using their subscription service to help push out a new release from an artist that could use some help with increasing her profile and showcasing her talent. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Caroline Rose versus bigger or more established names like Sleater Kinney as a new release "Essential".
It’s cool they are giving her more exposure. But also not shocking that people don’t seem to be super amped about it. I’m not the biggest fan in general of new releases as ROTM unless it’s an artist I really love. I’ll take a listen and don’t doubt this will be in swaps next month if I really want it.

Oh I don't fault anyone for swapping out. Not at all. I swapped out of Mitski and Sleater Kinney before going back and getting Mitski after the year end lists talked about how great it was. St Vincent and Tennis were before my time. I bought Mass Seduction before I was a member. Had I not, I would've swapped for it a while back. It's interesting that VMP keeps cranking out new releases as Essentials. You'd think given how all of those are still available that it's a loss for them and they might stop releasing them as something other than exclusives.

I know this selection isn't pleasing to everyone given the idea of what an "essential record" should be or even if a new release would ever qualify as that but there's something really cool about VMP using their subscription service to help push out a new release from an artist that could use some help with increasing her profile and showcasing her talent. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Caroline Rose versus bigger or more established names like Sleater Kinney as a new release "Essential".

I agree that I'd prefer something like this over Sleater Kinney, but maybe people would feel different if they believed this was something that VMP actually heard well in advance and loved it so much that they felt it was an essential record that everyone should own. It's the same issues with a Sleater Kinney or Masseduction on that front, that those selections feel more driven by the artist names than the material itself. I don't know enough about why they selected this album, so I can't really speak on the motivation or that process, but I think that the general perception that they probably just decided to push the next Caroline Rose album, regardless of what it sounds like, could be attributed to some of the push back we might be seeing. Releasing quality material from lesser known artists or lesser known work from well known artists definitely supports the idea of "curation." This one just... it falls into a weird area for a lot of people. Glad you're excited about it, too. Hopefully, it's great, and people give it a chance, but, a lot of people have lost the willingness to give their faith blindly to VMP, at this point. A couple of years ago, this might have felt different.

I'd wager you're actually describing the majority of their members (if anything because most of us who followed them closely have already jumped ship!).
My lady and I went to a dinner at a friends house recently and to my surprise they were Vinyl Me Please subscribers (they were playing Tennis when I came in), when I made a comment on how much I love VMP they said “I’m not super into it, not really into the albums we’ve been getting recently... the last one (Sleater Kinney) was fucking awful” they said. I said “Really, nothing even in swaps?”

They had no idea what I was talking about lol, so yeah I would not underestimate the amount of aloof subscribers they have.

The Idler Wheel is back in stock. You have to google it though it doesn’t show up through the store search. Wonder if the restock had anything to do with a When the Pawn announcement.

You give them too much credit. It’s the box that fell off the pallet and dropped into the pile of Fancy Free that will exist for all eternity. It’s come to light when some poor fucker ordered that terrible record and someone in the factory opened the box and found Fiona Apple instead...

Last edited:
The Idler Wheel is back in stock. You have to google it though it doesn’t show up through the store search. Wonder if the restock had anything to do with a When the Pawn announcement.
I had a feeling it would back, I bet it will be a stock exclusive next month.

Back