Vinyl Me, Please Rock

I am in this boat. Still have a copy that I got off a friends sister in the early 80s. I think that is going to be hard part for this stream. For anything pre-1990, there are going to be thousands of used copies available. But depending on the other 2 titles (71 and 83 have great potential) I might re-sub.
That's why despite others excitement I really hope the 83 isn't Sports. You can get an original Japanese pressing for a couple bucks that sounds great. Just not one that needs this treatment imo.

Those were the three I cared about too, but decided to just roll with the others and am not disappointed. I'm most excited for the ZZ Top since my OG is kinda noisy now and I missed out on that KG cut. And even though Iggy doesn't sound great, it's not bad (or their fault) and it's an album I love so I'm happy enough.
I was excited first for Iggy. I have a Bowie mix and missed out on the 2xlp version that had both mixes. And while Sublime, STP and A System are not my cup of tea, I totally get why they chose them.

1983 was a monster year for rock.

In no particular order...

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
U2 - War
Dio - Holy Diver
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Styx - Kilroy Was Here
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Yes - 90125
Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

Yes, I'm throwing pop stuff in the mix as VMP has repeatedly said that they're approaching "rock" from as broad a perspective as possible. I can easily see any of the above records being a solid ROTM, and it's really the tip of the iceberg of stuff that came out in '83.

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
U2 - War
Dio - Holy Diver
Styx - Kilroy Was Here
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Yes - 90125

Yes, I'm throwing pop stuff in the mix as VMP has repeatedly said that they're approaching "rock" from as broad a perspective as possible. I can easily see any of the above records being a solid ROTM, and it's really the tip of the iceberg of stuff that came out in '83.
Don’t forget ZZ Top Eliminator (they won’t pick this one).

But if VMP wants to really sell the stream, they need to go with REM - Murmur

Don’t forget ZZ Top Eliminator (they won’t pick this one).

But if VMP wants to really sell the stream, they need to go with REM - Murmur

Oh for sure, my list was in no way meant to be comprehensive. It was just a quick search on Discogs and what immediately jumped out at me. There are tons of albums VMP can choose from, and an argument can be made for each of them. Even Sports. ;)

Spun Toxicity today. 1) what a prescient album this was 20 years ago and still powerful (and sadly topical) 2) it’s the beat I’ve ever heard this one and I’ve owned a few copies and 3) I kinda love that this is devoid of the usual VMP accompaniments with only the obi included but not on the album.

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
U2 - War
Dio - Holy Diver
Styx - Kilroy Was Here
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Yes - 90125

U2’s “War” has been skipped as the only studio album not to have a colour vinyl reissue so far when they announced Under a Blood Red sky fir Black Friday on red vinyl ? War would be a great VMP choice

Spun Toxicity today. 1) what a prescient album this was 20 years ago and still powerful (and sadly topical) 2) it’s the beat I’ve ever heard this one and I’ve owned a few copies and 3) I kinda love that this is devoid of the usual VMP accompaniments with only the obi included but not on the album.

Got mine today but can't spin for a few weeks. Was going to ask if the obi came outside the package for everyone and if it was missing the hype sticker so thanks for mentioning that!

Back