Vinyl Me, Please Rock

Just a question? Why do we need listening notes full stop? What do they add to either the package or the experience?

In this exact and specific case, they take away so much AWAY from the package that I haven't even been able to bring myself to spin the non-VMP copy of Toxicity my wife picked up last week!

In this exact and specific case, they take away so much AWAY from the package that I haven't even been able to bring myself to spin the non-VMP copy of Toxicity my wife picked up last week!

They are shocking but generally don’t get the appeal in some journalist or fanboy shitting on about how great or important this thing is or whatever. I can figure that out for myself listening to it and I don’t have read something I’d have posted on an internet message board when I was 16.

They are shocking but generally don’t get the appeal in some journalist or fanboy shitting on about how great or important this thing is or whatever. I can figure that out for myself listening to it and I don’t have read something I’d have posted on an internet message board when I was 16.

VMP Listening Notes... for writers not good enough to put a book out thru 33 1/3.

VMP Listening Notes... for writers not good enough to put a book out thru 33 1/3.

Also the editing. Everyone remember “around your marrow” but my favourite was the one that had a random out of context letter v in the middle of a sentence where he’d clearly gone to paste, not caught ctrl properly and not noticed…

Now this is the kinda shit I do because I’m a clutz with a keyboard and I’m a poor proof reader. But equally I also don’t pretend to be an editor.

Last edited:

I love me some good liner notes for sure. Like acclaimed poet and author Hanif Abdurraqib's liner notes for the big anniversary edition of What's Going On are fantastic and part of what drew me to that particular edition... but no VMP listening notes have ever even come close.

Also the editing. Everyone remember “around your marrow” but my favourite was the one that had a random out of context letter v in the middle of a sentence where he’d clearly got to paste, not caught ctrl properly and not noticed…

Now this is the kinda shit I do because I’m a clutz with a keyboard and I’m a poor proof reader. But equally I also don’t pretend to be an editor.

These SOAD ones have a fair few "they was"-equivalent grammer moments that made me want to cry.

Just a question? Why do we need listening notes full stop? What do they add to either the package or the experience?
Mit nexessarily fro. Vmp but i have some reissues and box sets that had really nicely done liner notes booklets that put the making of the album/ song choices , production details, the sitaution of the artists at the time etc. in context, had interviews with artists , producers etc. If it is done in such a way i really appreciate it and it puts value to the package.
I have a couple of reiasues from a german hip hop group , that added lots of anecdotes and fotos from around the albuns creation from bandmembers, producers , friends and it was pretyy fun to read an wasn't stuff i had heard about before

Looks like they might have taken the listening notes down? Its a dead link for me now.

Also the editing. Everyone remember “around your marrow” but my favourite was the one that had a random out of context letter v in the middle of a sentence where he’d clearly gone to paste, not caught ctrl properly and not noticed…

In a strange coincidence I was just talking to my wife about this last night. I was reading the Hound Dog Taylor notes and the opening of the interview with the label founder was, and im paraphrasing:

AW: "Its well known that you set up Alligator Records to specifically record Hound Dog Taylor"
BI: "Thats not true, I didnt set it up to record him specifically"

Now, I write an Instagram post a day and certainly have made errors so perhaps I cant talk on the matter, but I certainly would have researched a bit more and not included that error in the opening text.

Looks like they might have taken the listening notes down? Its a dead link for me now.

In a strange coincidence I was just talking to my wife about this last night. I was reading the Hound Dog Taylor notes and the opening of the interview with the label founder was, and im paraphrasing:

AW: "Its well known that you set up Alligator Records to specifically record Hound Dog Taylor"

Now, I write an Instagram post a day and certainly have made errors so perhaps I cant talk on the matter, but I certainly would have researched a bit more and not included that error in the opening text.

There is also a whole host of difference between me and you making a few errors on here or social media and a writer and editor, who has since been promoted, making errors of that kind of magnitude!

That one you posted sounds like the kinda of shit I’d have done for a school report when I was 14 and it was geography or French or something else I didn’t care all that much about…

Last edited:

The fact they included that is crazy. You may ask that question in the interview and then use it as a jumping off point for further conversation. You don’t include your incorrect question in the text, it’s not a legal transcript.

The fact they included that is crazy. You may ask that question in the interview and then use it as a jumping off point for further conversation. You don’t include your incorrect question in the text, it’s not a legal transcript.

The fact they included it is perfectly indicative of how delusional Storf is when it comes to his writerly journalisms.

The fact they included it is perfectly indicative of how delusional Storf is when it comes to his writerly journalisms.
It’s a shame really. They get great access to past and current artists, get an actual insight into production, have a fairly solid back catalogue of exclusives to make comment on and have a relatively rabid fan base (a lot of whom actually will consume the listening notes and comments that go along with an album) or box set. And that’s who they have to communicate all that to the customer base. I sometimes read a few sentences and wonder why no one at VMP sees fit to proof this shit before they put it out.

As Nick Cave might have said

I’m forever near a booklet or article saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always listening notes by Andrew Winstorfer

That is actually hilarious. I don’t even bother reading them anymore if I see Storf’s name. I can’t count how many times I’ve felt that his listening notes actually detracted from my enjoyment of the record lol.

I think we should do our own listening notes ..I’ll start us off

“Iggy poo was a member of the comedy group the three stooges but fell out with them after meeting David Boopie in a pub with Lou weed and made Raw Power which is very good now after we ditched the poop Boopie mix and went AAA for an original mix which is better and sounds more hi fi. It’s our Rock record of the month and you should purchase it”

I think we should do our own listening notes ..I’ll start us off

“Iggy poo was a member of the comedy group the three stooges but fell out with them after meeting David Boopie in a pub with Lou weed and made Raw Power which is very good now after we ditched the poop Boopie mix and went AAA for an original mix which is better and sounds more hi fi. It’s our Rock record of the month and you should purchase it”
and interview questions like

"so Iggy, Is it there a reason why we predominantly hear your vocals on Raw Power and not Jimi Hendrix's"

According to the 'cord, Toxicity is sold out.
Glad I decided to make that my primary track after getting my last ROTM shipment. I don't know why but SOAD is hitting more as a 40-something year old than a late teen/early 20 something. Been looking forward to this one ever since they announced the first rock albums.

Back