Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

If we’re disqualifying based just on guest appearance wouldn’t this eliminate Madlib? Chalice All-Stars, Quasimoto, Mm.. Food and Madvillain.
Depends.
I don't think he ever appears as an artist on Mm..Food, just a production credit.
All the rest is artist credit.

I guess it's down to whatever the definition of "appeared on" VMP is using, because a TON of Atlanta rappers are excluded if you count appearing on tracks. There are three I counted that seem like VMP-y picks that have appeared once.

Last edited:
You just did more research than anyone involved with anyone responsible for vetting these clues.
Probably, yeah.

But like always, one has to guess what they actually mean with how they word the clues, because they still haven't hired someone who can write a clear sentence in English.

I could see them doing the new Killer Mike album that's going to drop, like they did with Earl this year.

Gotta get as much out of Killer Mike as possible before he goes full right wing lunatic (he's more right wing intellectual right now but that ground's probably going to erode soon).

I go out of my way not to inject political commentary into my posts, but it seems to happen on here and, when it does, it often just feels like regurgitated headlines, sensationalism, and hot takes that don't really weigh out for me. Not that I don't trust the word of someone from Toronto on this at face value, but I'm going to check in with some friends in Atlanta to see how they're feeling on this subject, since, if there's any real legitimacy to that claim, it's obviously concerning.

As of now, this shit sounds ridiculous to me, but not surprising as I use social media every day. All I'm seeing is that people are pissed because Killer Mike had Hershel Walker on his show and interviewed Brian Kemp years ago. Like I said, I have friends in Atlanta and, no doubt, Brian Kemp is a fucking trainwreck. That said, to claim it was a smart political move for him to visit black communities is true. Trump visiting East Palestine Ohio after the train derailment at a time when the government isn't doing shit for them is also a smart political move, from a tactical standpoint. That doesn't make Trump a solid or reasonable candidate, he's just doing exploitive tactical shit. Biden should be doing the same shit even if it's just for the same reasons. Mike was critical of the amount of outreach Abrams is doing for the black community because it allows people like Kemp to get away with doing the minimum. Just going by that statement, it sounds valid. The idea that you can't offer criticism toward someone when their action or inaction directly affects your community doesn't

I'm probably missing something, but the attacks levied at Mike that I'm reading are built around this insinuation that he's in support of Kemp and damaging Stacey Abrams who is, apparently, a hero to a lot of people who only recognize her as a black woman that can be utilized as a challenger to block Republican candidates. Personally, I remember her as the candidate that was supporting and defending former Republican Michael Bloomberg's candidacy for president. Bloomberg also kicked her a ton of money and she defended his candidacy and use of his billions to finance it, regardless of his racist conservative history, including his stop-and-frisk policies. Abrams was also close with former Georgia representative Doug Collins, an avid Trump supporter who currently works as Trump's legal counsel. For those unfamiliar, Collins rejects scientific consensus on climate change and, for all of the hardcore RBG fans, he tweeted this right after she died, "RIP to the more than 30 million innocent babies that have been murdered during the decades that Ruth Bader Ginsburg defended pro-abortion laws. With @realDonaldTrump nominating a replacement that values human life, generations of unborn children have a chance to live." He's anti-same-sex marriage, anti-equality act, anti-marijuana, has an A-rating from the NRA, and is anti-violence against women act. Abrams has photos of her cozying up to that dude and, apparently, even wrote him in (BY NAME) as a lovable character in one of her romance novels. Killer Mike isn't beyond criticism, but if the basis for the criticism is an implication that he's "right-wing" because of his association with a pair of right-wing politicians via conducting interviews with them, then Abrams has a worse track record with that and any perception that he doesn't support her enough shouldn't raise questions on his loyalty to the left, but actually strengthen them. If Mike is dangerous because of his associations with his reach and influence, at least he's not in the position to directly make and affect policy the way that Abrams aspires to be and her associations are more direct and much more troubling.

Abrams further played her part in undermining the Sanders campaign with everyone else and believed she was going to be honored with a Vice President position. I remember seeing her uncomfortable reaction live on TV when she learned that wasn't going to happen. She repeatedly stated that she would be vice president for whoever won and was opportunistic in that aim, even though she walked away with nothing after carrying their water.

Killer Mike has appeared on Bill Maher multiple times, as well, and that guy is as neo-liberal as it gets. He's as condescending and damaging to progressives as anyone, but Mike goes on the show and debates. Nobody bats an eye. For neo-liberal media to attack Killer Mike and claim that he is right-wing definitely benefits Democrats/"centrists"/neo-liberals, though. Framing him in that light labels him as a pariah, damages his image, and weakens his power - you reposting that narrative in here is evidence of that. This isn't the leftists abandoning him, it's the group that's been removing leftists off the ballot and silencing their voices that are "covering" and publishing these stories in the media and prompting individuals to spread them across platforms. Remember, CNN and MSNB joined FOX in airing Trump's empty podium, rather than showing Bernie Sanders speaking. Killer Mike always challenged their narratives and policies. Any outright rejection of Killer Mike at this point only works without nuance and by viewing things through the same black-and-white "good" (the respective individual's political party) vs evil (the "opposite" party) vacuum, which he's never really approached things through anyway. He attacks the establishment and they don't like him. His voice is just getting too big.

If the criticisms extend elsewhere and are deserved, that's another story, but haphazardly claiming that he's going "full right wing lunatic" without any evidence, reference, or context, seems a bit premature, if not irresponsible. If the criticism is that he's pro-guns, we're discussing a black man from Atlanta who idolizes MLK and is well-versed in his American history, especially in regards to the Black Panthers, Malcolm X, etc (what came of all of them) and currently lives in a country that's increasingly militarizing the police force, while black death rates at the hands of the police skyrocket. Perspective matters.

Last edited:
I go out of my way not to inject political commentary into my posts, but it seems to happen on here and, when it does, it often just feels like regurgitated headlines, sensationalism, and hot takes that don't really weigh out for me. Not that I don't trust the word of someone from Toronto on this at face value, but I'm going to check in with some friends in Atlanta to see how they're feeling on this subject, since, if there's any real legitimacy to that claim, it's obviously concerning.

As of now, this shit sounds ridiculous to me, but not surprising as I use social media every day. All I'm seeing is that people are pissed because Killer Mike had Hershel Walker on his show and interviewed Brian Kemp years ago. Like I said, I have friends in Atlanta and, no doubt, Brian Kemp is a fucking trainwreck. That said, to claim it was a smart political move for him to visit black communities is true. Trump visiting East Palestine Ohio after the train derailment at a time when the government isn't doing shit for them is also a smart political move, from a tactical standpoint. That doesn't make Trump a solid or reasonable candidate, he's just doing exploitive tactical shit. Biden should be doing the same shit even if it's just for the same reasons. Mike was critical of the amount of outreach Abrams is doing for the black community because it allows people like Kemp to get away with doing the minimum. Just going by that statement, it sounds valid. The idea that you can't offer criticism toward someone when their action or inaction directly affects your community doesn't

I'm probably missing something, but the attacks levied at Mike that I'm reading are built around this insinuation that he's in support of Kemp and damaging Stacey Abrams who is, apparently, a hero to a lot of people who only recognize her as a black woman that can be utilized as a challenger to block Republican candidates. Personally, I remember her as the candidate that was supporting and defending former Republican Michael Bloomberg's candidacy for president. Bloomberg also kicked her a ton of money and she defended his candidacy and use of his billions to finance it, regardless of his racist conservative history, including his stop-and-frisk policies. Abrams was also close with former Georgia representative Doug Collins, an avid Trump supporter who currently works as Trump's legal counsel. For those unfamiliar, Collins rejects scientific consensus on climate change and, for all of the hardcore RBG fans, he tweeted this right after she died, "RIP to the more than 30 million innocent babies that have been murdered during the decades that Ruth Bader Ginsburg defended pro-abortion laws. With @realDonaldTrump nominating a replacement that values human life, generations of unborn children have a chance to live." He's anti-same-sex marriage, anti-equality act, anti-marijuana, has an A-rating from the NRA, and is anti-violence against women act. Abrams has photos of her cozying up to that dude and, apparently, even wrote him in (BY NAME) as a lovable character in one of her romance novels. Killer Mike isn't beyond criticism, but if the basis for the criticism is an implication that he's "right-wing" because of his association with a pair of right-wing politicians via conducting interviews with them, then Abrams has a worse track record with that and any perception that he doesn't support her enough shouldn't raise questions on his loyalty to the left, but actually strengthen them. If Mike is dangerous because of his associations with his reach and influence, at least he's not in the position to directly make and affect policy the way that Abrams aspires to be and her associations are more direct and much more troubling.

Abrams further played her part in undermining the Sanders campaign with everyone else and believed she was going to be honored with a Vice President position. I remember seeing her uncomfortable reaction live on TV when she learned that wasn't going to happen. She repeatedly stated that she would be vice president for whoever won and was opportunistic in that aim, even though she walked away with nothing after carrying their water.

Killer Mike has appeared on Bill Maher multiple times, as well, and that guy is as neo-liberal as it gets. He's as condescending and damaging to progressives as anyone, but Mike goes on the show and debates. Nobody bats an eye. For neo-liberal media to attack Killer Mike and claim that he is right-wing definitely benefits Democrats/"centrists"/neo-liberals, though. Framing him in that light labels him as a pariah, damages his image, and weakens his power - you reposting that narrative in here is evidence of that. This isn't the leftists abandoning him, it's the group that's been removing leftists off the ballot and silencing their voices that are "covering" and publishing these stories in the media and prompting individuals to spread them across platforms. Remember, CNN and MSNB joined FOX in airing Trump's empty podium, rather than showing Bernie Sanders speaking. Killer Mike always challenged their narratives and policies. Any outright rejection of Killer Mike at this point only works without nuance and by viewing things through the same black-and-white "good" (the respective individual's political party) vs evil (the "opposite" party) vacuum, which he's never really approached things through anyway. He attacks the establishment and they don't like him. His voice is just getting too big.

If the criticisms extend elsewhere and are deserved, that's another story, but haphazardly claiming that he's going "full right wing lunatic" without any evidence, reference, or context, seems a bit premature, if not irresponsible. If the criticism is that he's pro-guns, we're discussing a black man from Atlanta who idolizes MLK and is well-versed in his American history, especially in regards to the Black Panthers, Malcolm X, etc (what came of all of them) and currently lives in a country that's increasingly militarizing the police force, while black death rates at the hands of the police skyrocket. Perspective matters.
Mike takes nuanced positions that require thought and discourse to fully consider. I don’t always agree with him but I feel like he is coming from a place of good intentions.

For example a few years back I remember him getting blow back for going on NRA TV and talking about gun ownership in the Black Community and was attacked by the Left for being pro gun but what he was saying was in a country where black folk can’t rely on the police to protect and defend or worse still may need to defend themselves FROM the police; not having a gun to defend you and your family from people that have guns is irresponsible. A bunch of privileged white liberals can’t even conceive of this reality.

Last edited:
Mike takes nuanced positions that require thought and discourse to fully consider. I don’t always agree with him but I feel like he is coming from a place of good intentions.

For example a few years back I remember him getting blow back for going on NRA TV and talking about gun ownership in the Black Community and was attacked by the Left for being pro gun but what he was saying was in a country where black folk can’t rely on the police to protect and defend or worse still may need to defend themselves FROM the police; not having a gun to defend you and your family from people that have guns is irresponsible. A bunch of privileged white liberals can’t even conceive as of this reality.

Exactly

For example a few years back I remember him getting blow back for going on NRA TV and talking about gun ownership in the Black Community and was attacked by the Left for being pro gun but what he was saying was in a country where black folk can’t rely on the police to protect and defend or worse still may need to defend themselves FROM the police; not having a gun to defend you and your family from people that have guns is irresponsible. A bunch of privileged white liberals can’t even conceive of this reality.
Nuance is not part of the national political discourse.

So, it seems the Cee Lo answer wasn't far off (edit: actually I think someone nailed it earlier):

Cee Lo Green - Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections
Oddissey - The Iceberg (Edit: Could also be Wale - Shine.)
Madlib - Shades of Blue

Looks like I'm not resubbing this quarter.

Last edited:
So, it seems the Cee Lo answer wasn't far off (edit: actually I think someone nailed it earlier):

Cee Lo Green - Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections
Oddissey - The Iceberg
Madlib - Shades of Blue

Looks like I'm not resubbing this quarter.
Crazy to think they would do Cee-Lo knowing the controversy that surrounded him

Crazy to think they would do Cee-Lo knowing the controversy that surrounded him
Didn't stop them from doing and repressing GM, so I can't see it being a blocker from them doing another Cee-Lo related ROTM.

lol people on reddit guessing Outkast for this. I don't even know how they think that would work, doesn't fit the clues.

Also, VMP is totally ignoring production work, as predicted when discussing how many times an artist appears on a ROTM.

VMP fuck up A LOT and no doubt are fumbling and contradicting their own clues, but I think this might also deal wirh how you're personally choosing to interpret the wording, especially since that's not actually even VMP's wording. If someone asked for clarification and they confirmed it, that's another story, so I might be wrong; I'm only going by this thread.

As for their clue, however, it states "how many times" the artist "has already appeared IN a VMP subscription." I'm not interpreting that as how many times an artist has made an appearance ON an album that was a ROTM, but rather how many times an artist's own album has been selected/featured as a ROTM. When I listed other possibilities, you tried to break down why all of them would be disqualified and then told someone else production wouldn't count, but all of these supposed disqualifations or rigid criteria seem very arbitrary and not really based in anything VMP themselves have presented. Have they actually clarified any of this on reddit or elsewhere? How is everyone else interpreting all of this? If the conclusion is simply that their own clues will ultimately be inaccurate or misleading anyway -- a fair enough speculation to make based off their history -- then that kind of kills the point of even trying to guess it anyway.

Madlib - Shades of Blue

What a fucking waste of a pick.

Edit: Gonna amend my above statement a bit as I just realized Blue Note is reissuing it as a Blue Note Classics release, not Tone Poet. Which means the BN reissue may not be head and shoulders above the VMP version, so I'll just drop the "fucking" to say it's a waste of a pick for what will amount to little more than a color variant.

Last edited:
What a fucking waste of a pick.

Edit: Gonna amend my above statement a bit as I just realized Blue Note is reissuing it as a Blue Note Classics release, not Tone Poet. Which means the BN reissue may not be head and shoulders above the VMP version, so I'll just drop the "fucking" to say it's a waste of a pick for what will amount to little more than a color variant.
yeah, but a classics is like half the price?

yeah, but a classics is like half the price?
I guess since I’m currently subbed at the old price it isn’t quite a dramatic a difference although I’m sure the BN Classics version will be more susceptible to some big discounted sales here and there if you’re patient and on the lookout.

Not as angry about it as I initially was, just now… disappointed. Mostly because Madlib has such a large catelogue to pick from, it would’ve been cool to have done an old Beat Conductor album or something else that wasn’t getting a wider release the exact same month.

Back