Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Did they really keep 400 Blackalicious in reserve for replacements or did they repress? A repress with recent issues would scare me- especially with the Discog reviews being so good for the pressing.

Did they really keep 400 Blackalicious in reserve for replacements or did they repress? A repress with recent issues would scare me- especially with the Discog reviews being so good for the pressing.
I'm thinking this is a repress. I've gotten a couple of the represses they've done and none seem to have the issues the newer albums have.

I think I like finally rich because in a weird way it is therapy...

Just giving up all the stress and going into the basic feeling of "I don't care, I'm going to have fun and mosh"

Also it's hard to find legit rage fun artists after Travis' festival killed people

also i tried the E-40 album.. its alright.. but i dunno if i really want it... I'm 1/3 here

i decided to actually do the research on what years, regions, and specifically states have the most attention (its not complete yet for essentials or classics, i will work on those in the future because those are a bigger batch to swallow with all the different genres and i don't have genres or subgenres in my database yet)..

but i can make it available to view to see where the bias is right HERE

in the graphs i found out the most biased year (trying to make the order of the bars chronological) to be 2010 with 6 different releases.. and the others aren't even close with 2nd place being a 3 way tie between 2002, 2018, and 1996

but region was the MOST surprising aspect.. turns out there actually is a lot of California and west coast representation, we just don't really notice because its not really the G-Funk we are hoping for, more the experimental side
Region Bias_.png
obviously, we have a very heavy east coast effect (90% of those are from New York which makes sense,)

so why do we assume there is a huge bias towards 2000s southern rap albums
Lets get more specific.png
maybe because of the percentage of acts specifically from Georgia we keep getting. or because we are getting them all in rapid succession

i decided to actually do the research on what years, regions, and specifically states have the most attention (its not complete yet for essentials or classics, i will work on those in the future because those are a bigger batch to swallow with all the different genres and i don't have genres or subgenres in my database yet)..

but i can make it available to view to see where the bias is right HERE

in the graphs i found out the most biased year (trying to make the order of the bars chronological) to be 2010 with 6 different releases.. and the others aren't even close with 2nd place being a 3 way tie between 2002, 2018, and 1996

but region was the MOST surprising aspect.. turns out there actually is a lot of California and west coast representation, we just don't really notice because its not really the G-Funk we are hoping for, more the experimental side
View attachment 121706
obviously, we have a very heavy east coast effect (90% of those are from New York which makes sense,)

so why do we assume there is a huge bias towards 2000s southern rap albums
View attachment 121705
maybe because of the percentage of acts specifically from Georgia we keep getting. or because we are getting them all in rapid succession
I could have saved you some time as I basically had all the data already-

Decided to run the numbers to check your theory and also because I feel like this comes up somewhat often and I was also just curious myself.

NOTES: Decade is from xxx0-xxx9 (i.e. 1990-1999). The one blank in origin is Handsome Boy Modeling School as it seems one is from East and one is West. I also didn't include RHH that was in Essentials as I have to run to soccer for the kids. :ROFLMAO: Going to add later.)

View attachment 107255

Obviously we can do an analysis of recency as well as 2021 has been very heavy south. But in total, Midwest should have a bit of a beef especially since every single one is from Illinois / Chicago besides E&A. Also the decades as a whole feels pretty even. Personally, I would like this to skew further to the 90's though.

As for the 7 year period you mentioned it is at around 20% of releases through PE. It's pretty in line with the decade totals and thus not sure there really is any heavy lean there.

i distracted myself at least
I think the real takeaways are basically the same as these last quarters are basically more of the same:

- West Coast needs more run. E-40 in this quarter but that's a very specialized and local sound that isn't very West Coast feeling.

- Midwest has gotten ok love, but it's basically only been Chicago artists. I love me Chicago hip hop but we do have other areas as well lol

The complaint has more to do with the quality of the acts than the number of releases. While major acts from the South and the East Coast have been represented, we haven't gotten much from the West Coast. No Ice T, no Ice Cube, no 2pac, no Kendrick, etc.

- West Coast needs more run. E-40 in this quarter but that's a very specialized and local sound that isn't very West Coast feeling.
basically we want some G-funk already that isn't just snoop

i was going to do this same test for essential for both genre/year bias... mostly because i was interested in that difference too

The complaint has more to do with the quality of the acts than the number of releases. While major acts from the South and the East Coast have been represented, we haven't gotten much from the West Coast. No Ice T, no Ice Cube, no 2pac, no Kendrick, etc.
they were too busy with the taco bell ad dude

Back