Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Wait, I was told they are replacing disc 2 as that is what I have the signature surface noise on. Here is what I was told on 10/5. My disc 1 was fine.

"We're working with the pressing plant on a solution for the ATLiens pressing. I've added your name to our list, so you'll be notified once that reaches a resolution. We're likely going to repress side C/D, but we're still waiting to hear back on a timeline for that."
Haha did I get it backwards on that one? I probably did. One moment, I'll go back and listen to A and B. I can't keep track of all this shit....

My room looks like a fucking bad record pressing repository... just piles of the same album on every flat surface... spilling onto the floor...

Last edited:
Haha did I get it backwards on that one? I probably did. One moment, I'll go back and listen to A and B. I can't keep track of all this shit....

My room looks like a fucking bad pressing record repository... just piles of the same album on every flat surface... spilling onto the floor...

Really, now? Your surfaces are flat? ;)

Wait, I was told they are replacing disc 2 as that is what I have the signature surface noise on. Here is what I was told on 10/5. My disc 1 was fine.

"We're working with the pressing plant on a solution for the ATLiens pressing. I've added your name to our list, so you'll be notified once that reaches a resolution. We're likely going to repress side C/D, but we're still waiting to hear back on a timeline for that."
Yeah so A and B on both copies also have right channel noise. Not as bad as C and D but it's still there.

Yeah so A and B on both copies also have right channel noise. Not as bad as C and D but it's still there.

I remembered the issue being with side A for ATLiens too, but it's actually side D that I emailed them about. It's been so long and there's been so many issues that I can't keep them straight either - and that's with ATLiens being the only one of the bunch I actually got.

Well I do have Public Enemy too, but my copy is actually decent enough to not complain about.

I remembered the issue being with side A for ATLiens too, but it's actually side D that I emailed them about. It's been so long and there's been so many issues that I can't keep them straight either - and that's with ATLiens being the only one of the bunch I actually got.

Well I do have Public Enemy too, but my copy is actually decent enough to not complain about.
My PEs were are absolutely terrible. 3 copies.

My PEs were are absolutely terrible. 3 copies.

I wouldn't say mine is clean plus the mastering isn't that great. Some pops and clicks here and there a better system would probably pick up more, but nothing as in your face and annoying as that side of ATLiens. No patented non-fill noise bursts or end of side clicks either. That ends up being my last VMP ROTM. Got credit for the last month and used it to pre-order IDLES (pressed at RTI - wish me luck) and then that's it. Well, that and hopefully getting a good replacement for that side of ATLiens.

My room looks like a fucking bad record pressing repository... just piles of the same album on every flat surface... spilling onto the floor...
Yeah, WU, PE, MV are Disc 1. ATLIENS is disc 2. Easy to mix up this fuckery.

Yeah, WU, PE, MV are Disc 1. ATLIENS is disc 2. Easy to mix up this fuckery.
All my Wu's and PE's and ATliens are both discs, my Volta is only the one, second disc is good. IT'S A FUCKING CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

That's 10 bad copies for a total of 20 bad discs across the lot. The ONLY clean disc out of all of them is Mars Volta disc 2.

All my Wu's and PE's and ATliens are both discs, my Volta is only the one, second disc is good. IT'S A FUCKING CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

That's 10 bad copies for a total of 20 bad discs across the lot. The ONLY clean disc out of all of them is Mars Volta disc 2.
@Mather - Are you getting the Clipse Hell Hath No Fury or Usher Confessions ROTM next month?

Do you like any of those albums?

Jesus, I never even listened to disc 2 (or side B for that matter) on WU, PE, or MV.

Is your disc 1 AtLiens the same telltale surface noise? Or is it different? I definitely have a clean Disc 1 o ATliens.

Jesus, I never even listened to disc 2 (or side B for that matter) on WU, PE, or MV.

Is your disc 1 AtLiens the same telltale surface noise? Or is it different? I definitely have a clean Disc 1 o ATliens.
It's all the same, right channel noise off the top of each side that dissipates over time. Every single disc same noise except Volta which had one clean disc inexplicably. Volta is the loudest noise but it also completely disappears within about 30-40 seconds. Wu, PE and ATliens all lasts for minutes across multiple songs on all discs.

And I'm using a Ortofon 2M Black which is a Shibata diamond which is I think one of the finest tips you can get which of course means it will pick up anything that's badly pressed which is probably why I'm hearing noise across all these discs. It's probably on everyone's unfortunately.

It's all the same, right channel noise off the top of each side that dissipates over time. Every single disc same noise except Volta which had one clean disc inexplicably. Volta is the loudest noise but it also completely disappears within about 30-40 seconds. Wu, PE and ATliens all lasts for minutes across multiple songs on all discs.

And I'm using a Ortofon 2M Black which is a Shibata diamond which is I think one of the finest tips you can get which of course means it will pick up anything that's badly pressed which is probably why I'm hearing noise across all these discs. It's probably on everyone's unfortunately.
Interesting, I will have to give my disc 1 a second listen. I have but a peasants Ortofon 2M Blue though.. lol

Interesting, I will have to give my disc 1 a second listen. I have but a peasants Ortofon 2M Blue though.. lol
From what I've seen the folks on here with FineLine or Shibatas/other fine styli are also hearing what I'm hearing on the supposedly clean discs.

I did get a bit of additional info today though, apparently VMP are repressing "limited" amounts of the full ATliens album. So for those that don't have a good disc 1 there will APPARENTLY be a small second run that COULD solve that issue. But let's be honest here. Do we REALLY think GZ is going to solve this issue? After now 4 straight months of this issue being a thing on pretty much all of their ROTM discs?

Magic 8-Ball says "Not fucking likely mate."

I did get a bit of additional info today though, apparently VMP are repressing "limited" amounts of the full ATliens album. So for those that don't have a good disc 1 there will APPARENTLY be a small second run that COULD solve that issue. But let's be honest here. Do we REALLY think GZ is going to solve this issue? After now 4 straight months of this issue being a thing on pretty much all of their ROTM discs?

Magic 8-Ball says "Not fucking likely mate."
Interesting...that's more than I was able to get out of 'em (when they told me 2x that they were *probably* only replacing C/D of it). I had the noise on every side of ATL/Wu/PE that I've tried so far. (I have 3rd copies of Wu & PE that I haven't even checked yet b/c...well, we all probably know how that's gonna turn out!)

Interesting...that's more than I was able to get out of 'em (when they told me 2x that they were *probably* only replacing C/D of it). I had the noise on every side of ATL/Wu/PE that I've tried so far. (I have 3rd copies of Wu & PE that I haven't even checked yet b/c...well, we all probably know how that's gonna turn out!)
Yeah, take it with a grain of salt, this wasn't Pauly who told me this so I'm not certain how rock solid the info is. It was CS but not someone whose name I recognized.

Out of curiosity, since you are getting noise on every disc, much like I am, what cart do you use?

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt, this wasn't Pauly who told me this so I'm not certain how rock solid the info is. It was CS but not someone whose name I recognized.

Out of curiosity, since you are getting noise on every disc, much like I am, what cart do you use?
Uhh, Grado yellow? Sorry that's all I know.🤡

I'm just glad to hear re: the prospect of repressing both LPs of ATLiens, since both times I explained to them that a new C/D wouldn't really solve it for me. (I also asked for a 2nd replacement of ATLiens, but they balked at that.)

Has anyone gotten their Three-6 yet? There was no liner notes booklet with my copy.

I'm only just now starting to spin it. So far Side A sounds fine, no obvious surface noise at the beginning of the record.

Back