Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

"Now that I have ATLiens on order I REALLY need to track down a copy of Aquemini. This will be a monumental task probably including overpaying from discogs".
Checks Amazon
"Oh..."
Telltale thunk of a poorly packaged Amazon vinyl order being launched at my door happened five minutes ago.
i know a online shop in the ATL, GA area that has copies available let me know if you want the link.

Vmp learned that they could just press every outkast album and make back their debts

they are probably going to do aquemini, speakerbox/love below, and Idlewild some time. And it will feel like there won't be any reason to join these subs unless you are really into late 90s early 2000s Southern hip hop

I'm so happy public enemy is next month as I had no idea how much I wanted a full release until now (didn't know it was incomplete on vinyl) and we need more variation since it feels we almost never leave this period between 1997-2003 and mostly either the South or east side

Last edited:
Vmp learned that they could just press every outkast album and make back their debts

they are probably going to do aquemini, speakerbox/love below, and Idlewild some time. And it will feel like there won't be any reason to join these subs unless you are really into late 90s early 2000s Southern hip hop

I'm so happy public enemy is next month as I had no idea how much I wanted a full release until now (didn't know it was incomplete on vinyl) and we need more variation since it feels we almost never leave this period between 1997-2003 and mostly either the South or east side
Decided to run the numbers to check your theory and also because I feel like this comes up somewhat often and I was also just curious myself.

NOTES: Decade is from xxx0-xxx9 (i.e. 1990-1999). The one blank in origin is Handsome Boy Modeling School as it seems one is from East and one is West. I also didn't include RHH that was in Essentials as I have to run to soccer for the kids. :ROFLMAO: Going to add later.)

1627738201004.png

Obviously we can do an analysis of recency as well as 2021 has been very heavy south. But in total, Midwest should have a bit of a beef especially since every single one is from Illinois / Chicago besides E&A. Also the decades as a whole feels pretty even. Personally, I would like this to skew further to the 90's though.

As for the 7 year period you mentioned it is at around 20% of releases through PE. It's pretty in line with the decade totals and thus not sure there really is any heavy lean there.

Decided to run the numbers to check your theory and also because I feel like this comes up somewhat often and I was also just curious myself.

NOTES: Decade is from xxx0-xxx9 (i.e. 1990-1999). The one blank in origin is Handsome Boy Modeling School as it seems one is from East and one is West. I also didn't include RHH that was in Essentials as I have to run to soccer for the kids. :ROFLMAO: Going to add later.)

View attachment 107255

Obviously we can do an analysis of recency as well as 2021 has been very heavy south. But in total, Midwest should have a bit of a beef especially since every single one is from Illinois / Chicago besides E&A. Also the decades as a whole feels pretty even. Personally, I would like this to skew further to the 90's though.

As for the 7 year period you mentioned it is at around 20% of releases through PE. It's pretty in line with the decade totals and thus not sure there really is any heavy lean there.
The essentials part probably isn't required, it was more about how it felt like vmp R&HH was just becoming almost exclusively either South or east coast artists from the 90s and 2000s, though I was slightly wrong since there are more newer releases than I expected.. the fact there are only 7 from the West coast (it's not like the west coast is short on classics).. also should we count MF DOOM as international as he technically it's from the UK but lived in New York most of his career

But only 2 international albums (both from the UK) what not put in a little reggaeton, since I dunno if they've done any Hispanic rappers, maybe some afrobeats with some elements of hip hop, maybe some more grime (id love no hats no hoods on vinyl), the first k-pop start was basically more of a political and raunchy Korean rapper (no legit look up psy's career) hell I'll even accept drain gang for a Swedish rap pick

Also embarrassing that only 2 albums before 1990. There are plenty of great rap albums from that era (Rakim, Grandmaster flash, Schoolly D, KRS One, Biz Markie, Kool Moe Dee, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane)

what not put in a little reggaeton
From a strictly selfish standpoint I am fine with this decision as I am not a fan of the genre. To your larger point I guess it depends on what you are looking to get out of the sub. For me I am mostly looking for quality reissues of older titles (and in that regard I wouldn’t mind more albums from the 1980s. Though to be fair. The 1980s were the early days of rap and while there are more than a few essential titles Rap titles from that era, Rap didn’t really hit its stride as a genre until the late 80s/early 90s. It would be like saying that the Country sub need more late 1950s releases.) and I think they have been decently successful with endeavor. I don’t listen to much international rap and while I am sure there is some that I would potentially enjoy I doubt I would be willing to pay a $40 subscription to find out.

The essentials part probably isn't required, it was more about how it felt like vmp R&HH was just becoming almost exclusively either South or east coast artists from the 90s and 2000s, though I was slightly wrong since there are more newer releases than I expected.. the fact there are only 7 from the West coast (it's not like the west coast is short on classics).. also should we count MF DOOM as international as he technically it's from the UK but lived in New York most of his career

But only 2 international albums (both from the UK) what not put in a little reggaeton, since I dunno if they've done any Hispanic rappers, maybe some afrobeats with some elements of hip hop, maybe some more grime (id love no hats no hoods on vinyl), the first k-pop start was basically more of a political and raunchy Korean rapper (no legit look up psy's career) hell I'll even accept drain gang for a Swedish rap pick

Also embarrassing that only 2 albums before 1990. There are plenty of great rap albums from that era (Rakim, Grandmaster flash, Schoolly D, KRS One, Biz Markie, Kool Moe Dee, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane)
Yeah the west was another glaring miss since as you said they have tons that can be chosen. My guess is the 80s are tougher sell for a few reasons but maybe have a few more. I know Eric B & Rakim recently repressed everything so doesn't make much sense.

And while DOOM technically is from UK and ended up back out there, he's pretty established as NY imo

Yeah the west was another glaring miss since as you said they have tons that can be chosen. My guess is the 80s are tougher sell for a few reasons but maybe have a few more. I know Eric B & Rakim recently repressed everything so doesn't make much sense.

And while DOOM technically is from UK and ended up back out there, he's pretty established as NY imo
So much so that they named a street after him this week.

From a strictly selfish standpoint I am fine with this decision as I am not a fan of the genre. To your larger point I guess it depends on what you are looking to get out of the sub. For me I am mostly looking for quality reissues of older titles (and in that regard I wouldn’t mind more albums from the 1980s. Though to be fair. The 1980s were the early days of rap and while there are more than a few essential titles Rap titles from that era, Rap didn’t really hit its stride as a genre until the late 80s/early 90s. It would be like saying that the Country sub need more late 1950s releases.) and I think they have been decently successful with endeavor. I don’t listen to much international rap and while I am sure there is some that I would potentially enjoy I doubt I would be willing to pay a $40 subscription to find out.
Eh that's understandable

I do wish they did do more than what they other doing

No need for like a ton of international music, but it just feels like a late 90s early 2000s nostalgia wave.. Like it had great stuff but not every album from that time was great

Eh that's understandable

I do wish they did do more than what they other doing

No need for like a ton of international music, but it just feels like a late 90s early 2000s nostalgia wave.. Like it had great stuff but not every album from that time was great
Yeah, I hear that. The past 10 years or so I have had a real tough time finding newer hip-hop acts that I genuinely enjoy. Most of the newer hip-hop releases I end up purchasing tend to be from artists that came to relevance in the 90s. I like to keep an open mind but there isn’t much hip-hop on hot 100 charts that does much for me and a lot of the underground rap is either too avant-garde for my taste or a throwback to the boom-bap style of the 90s. I know there is probably stuff out there I would enjoy but In the same token I am more than happy to just keep listening to EPMD, or Brand Nubian or Pete Rock. I know these issues are mine but that is kinda where I am at currently with the genre.

Last edited:
Thanks for that analysis. West coast def being shorted it looks like. Obviously Pac would be a huge get and sell a ton, but I’m not sure what the possibility of getting those rights and whatnot, Vince staples could check that west coast box too, would love a copy of Big Fish Theory.

im always down for some 90s rap. But I think some newer stuff would be great too. I just don’t know what rap albums from the last say 5 years hold up real well, besides say Kendrick Lamar. Would be down if there was a good release that showed me.

Thanks for that analysis. West coast def being shorted it looks like. Obviously Pac would be a huge get and sell a ton, but I’m not sure what the possibility of getting those rights and whatnot, Vince staples could check that west coast box too, would love a copy of Big Fish Theory.

im always down for some 90s rap. But I think some newer stuff would be great too. I just don’t know what rap albums from the last say 5 years hold up real well, besides say Kendrick Lamar. Would be down if there was a good release that showed me.

Some semi recent (ish) releases that need pressings

Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade / Cilvia Demo
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights (full mixtape)
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
Pusha T - My Name Is My Name

I know some here are dying for The Game - Jesus Piece which is West Coast.

Completely unrelated- I would love if they would press Wax & EOM - Liquid Courage as it doesn't seem like that has been pressed and is great. Also, Afu-Ra - Body of the Life Force would be dope as I think that was only pressed once and not necessarily readily available (I think?)

Reddit is fucking infuriating in the sense that multiple people are showing off OutKast with not a single person commenting on how it sounds. Like I give a fuck about a pic of the disc or packaging. Motherfucker how does it sound!?
Most of those people either don't open the records, or play them on a potato so I don't know that it would matter either way. Reddit, Twitter and Facebook should all be shot out of a cannon directly into the side of a mountain.

Back