Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Obligatory old millenial experience meme (I'm a baby of the 80s but my dad adopted CDs right away, so I never had a record player in my house growing up):

57spax.jpg
immediately after millenials it was all about streaming and suddenly you have unlimited space for putting songs on an album....

but also since billboard didn't even count streams yet and people were getting a bit of length burnout (if just because the amount of songs was just so much), rap times got shorter overall.. to a more pleasant 40-60 minutes...

then billboard decided to chart streaming, and pop artists realized they were so big that when their album dropped it was the main focus of the week (thanks views)... and so now a lot of albums have like 20 songs (example.. culture was a pretty solid album, and definitely the best migos project and it was only 13 songs.. nice and comfortable listen... then culture II happened and you had 24 tracks and almost 2 hours that just expects that you are going to skip a bunch of the songs)... actually maybe the problem is the fact that we now have the ability to skip songs that albums got so much longer and bunched together... because they knew that you could just skip any track you didn't like

I think with tiktok this might actually be changing a bit... not because of less songs because that's not going away.. but song lengths are shorter to get more of an immediate and quotable song

immediately after millenials it was all about streaming and suddenly you have unlimited space for putting songs on an album....

but also since billboard didn't even count streams yet and people were getting a bit of length burnout (if just because the amount of songs was just so much), rap times got shorter overall.. to a more pleasant 40-60 minutes...

then billboard decided to chart streaming, and pop artists realized they were so big that when their album dropped it was the main focus of the week (thanks views)... and so now a lot of albums have like 20 songs (example.. culture was a pretty solid album, and definitely the best migos project and it was only 13 songs.. nice and comfortable listen... then culture II happened and you had 24 tracks and almost 2 hours that just expects that you are going to skip a bunch of the songs)... actually maybe the problem is the fact that we now have the ability to skip songs that albums got so much longer and bunched together... because they knew that you could just skip any track you didn't like

I think with tiktok this might actually be changing a bit... not because of less songs because that's not going away.. but song lengths are shorter to get more of an immediate and quotable song

I've noticed a bifurcation- a lot of albums in the more independent sectors have moved to vinyl-length, while artists who are aiming for the charts and gaming the new streaming count system and such offer up 20-song behemoths. BUT, it's all anecdotal, I wonder what would happen if someone crunched the numbers... *heads off to see if any research has been done*

My PUTS arrived today... and it's warped with clicks and pops on the first track.

SIGH... I'm so tired.

Edit: Yep, on visual inspection there is a small scratch across the beginning of the first track. Hope they've got replacements for this, given it was limited stock in swaps...

Last edited:

Figured this was fitting for this thread. VMP variant of Sound Ancestors pre order. I luckily had a $40 credit so it was on the house.

the liner notes have NO reason to exist and are not a selling point

mostly because they put on them on their magazine for FREE

you are wasting all your paper
It’s very much worth it though; a great sounding 2xLP coloured So Much Fun pressing! My copy shipped today and I am super excited to spin it!

Discs had no issues, very slight warp but barely a millimeter, vinyl sounds good but not really any different than the digital version.. dad said the cover was adorable

Discs had no issues, very slight warp but barely a millimeter, vinyl sounds good but not really any different than the digital version.. dad said the cover was adorable
That’s so cute your Dad said that about the album cover! ☺️

Good to hear the record itself sounds good! I guess the quality of the recording is pretty high itself, so it makes sense for the vinyl pressing to sound not incredibly better than the streaming audio quality!

That’s so cute your Dad said that about the album cover! ☺️

Good to hear the record itself sounds good! I guess the quality of the recording is pretty high itself, so it makes sense for the vinyl pressing to sound not incredibly better than the streaming audio quality!
also keep in mind i do not have a very resolving setup.. a schiit mani with magni amp and u-turn orbit with 2M Blue is pretty nice but my grados are pretty forgiving

I got my PUTS replacement and fortunately everything is now good to go. One thing I'm a little puzzled by is the vinyl color; it's described as "Coke Bottle Clear and Cream Galaxy." Is it just randomly assigned between the two? For my first copy, record 1 (which was scratched) was Coke Bottle Clear (more translucent really) and record 2 was Cream Galaxy. For my replacement copy, both are Cream Galaxy. Honestly I'd rather have both be that as the clear is kind of boring. Just weird that it seems to vary from record to record.

Last edited:
What would you consider a "wild surprise?"

View attachment 100783
"Wild surprise" would be if they managed to get Supreme Clientele which would not only be very unlikely, but also in violation of their double-dipping rules.

EDIT: Wild surprise would also be a lot of early def jux records but that's just me.

I'd settle for something like Sex Packets as a nice surprise.

Last edited:
If they were to get Supreme Clientele (and they won’t) it’d definitely be for Essentials anyways.

Maybe Viktor Vaughn or another DOOM-related project they haven’t already pressed? Seems the market would be hot for something like that right now.

If they were to get Supreme Clientele (and they won’t) it’d definitely be for Essentials anyways.

Maybe Viktor Vaughn or another DOOM-related project they haven’t already pressed? Seems the market would be hot for something like that right now.
I believe Viktor Vaughn would be one of the last DOOM projects to get a pressing. Seems everything under the sun was released since his death except that.

Back