Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I'm go
It current and then it would almost exclusively new rappers, though I'd love die a legend on vinyl it seems unlikely

Seems most likely
I'm going to lean into Storf saying wild releases and am going with People's Instinctives Travel, Reasonable Doubt and Stillmatic. Guessing I'm going to strike out on all 3 too, but maybe we get lucky and Storf isn't full of it for once.

I'm go

I'm going to lean into Storf saying wild releases and am going with People's Instinctives Travel, Reasonable Doubt and Stillmatic. Guessing I'm going to strike out on all 3 too, but maybe we get lucky and Storf isn't full of it for once.
All but stillmatic seem pretty great choices

Lucky they're never doing Nas..

Apparently because of allegations but more likely it's because Nasir killed the last credibility of his career

Hard to look past the Tommy Boy connection they seem to have so I'd say Digital Underground, Paris or interestingly Brand Nubian for 1990 (given Tommy Boy appear to have picked up the Brand Nubian licensing)... all of which would be incredibly strong releases but given Brand Nubian has recently been done the Digital Underground with the extra tracks that were left off the OG vinyl pressing would be very well received (by me at least!)

All but stillmatic seem pretty great choices

Lucky they're never doing Nas..

Apparently because of allegations but more likely it's because Nasir killed the last credibility of his career
What's wrong with Stillmatic? (Besides the fact that it was repressed somewhat recently)

And Nas' credibility is killed? What?

What's wrong with Stillmatic? (Besides the fact that it was repressed somewhat recently)

Storf said VMP will do never do a NaS’ exclusive because of the sexual allegations against him unfortunately!

I would love it if VMP did It Was Written as a R&HH ROTM, and Illmatic as an Essentials ROTM, but that will never happen unfortunately!

Storf said VMP will do never do a NaS’ exclusive because of the sexual allegations against him unfortunately!

I would love it if VMP did It Was Written as a R&HH ROTM, and Illmatic as an Essentials ROTM, but that will never happen unfortunately!
i never heard of sexual allegations against him, tho i've heard of allegations of him being physically abusive towards Kelis.which of course is unacceptable behavior.

Let's be honest, if the behavior that NaS has been accused of is the barometer for what is and isn't pressed then there are def artists that have been pressed that would not pass the sniff test.

I feel like it's one of those things Storf said once and now has to stick to it. Why'd he say it was their stance? Who knows but let's not think VMP has some hashed out moral philosophy that leads their decision-making.

And this may be anecdotal and not at all true, but I remember someone saying that they wouldn't press Tool 'cause some people that used to beat Storf up were into Tool or wore Tool shirts? If not true, it spreads b/c that sounds like some believable stupidity they'd be into. If true, it shows the wanton decision-making afoot.

nothing really.. just the already repressed and the fact that it's probably the 3rd best nas album or so (at least do life is good or something)

nasir is a really bad album...

Let's be honest, if the behavior that NaS has been accused of is the barometer for what is and isn't pressed then there are def artists that have been pressed that would not pass the sniff test.

I feel like it's one of those things Storf said once and now has to stick to it. Why'd he say it was their stance? Who knows but let's not think VMP has some hashed out moral philosophy that leads their decision-making.

And this may be anecdotal and not at all true, but I remember someone saying that they wouldn't press Tool 'cause some people that used to beat Storf up were into Tool or wore Tool shirts? If not true, it spreads b/c that sounds like some believable stupidity they'd be into. If true, it shows the wanton decision-making afoot.
storf is in control of VMP so we aren't getting certain albums

tbh maybe he just wont do nas because he was more into jay Z or something... or I guess we will never get anything related to the beatles because did you know john lennon beat his wife

Just to be clear, he 100% said no Nas because of the Kelis allegations. I only know because I was the one who he replied to said it to.

nothing really.. just the already repressed and the fact that it's probably the 3rd best nas album or so (at least do life is good or something)

nasir is a really bad album...

storf is in control of VMP so we aren't getting certain albums

tbh maybe he just wont do nas because he was more into jay Z or something... or I guess we will never get anything related to the beatles because did you know john lennon beat his wife
I get that Nasir is bad. But that has done zero to his credibility as an artist. He's still one of the best rappers ever and literally just released an album last year with fairly good critical acclaim and got his first Grammy.

And if Stillmatic is 3, then that would certainly have Life is Good lower than that as it's almost impossible to not say Illmatic and It Was Written are the top 2. I do actually really like the Life Is Good album. But if we were to get Nas I think The Lost Tapes would be really great.

Last edited:
And if Stillmatic is 3, then that would certainly have Life is Good lower than that as it's almost impossible to not say Illmatic and It Was Written are the top 2.
I thought the reception of it was written had gone down over time... Jay Z in takeover said it wasn't hot, and in many ways it was a more commercial and more dated album

I don't know the most about Nas to be honest because I'm actually one of those weird people who thinks illmatic is not perfect (I'm more into other 90s classics like the infamous and low end theory and the score). So maybe I just forgot about it

I just remember the last Nas album I listened to went into some weird anti-vaxxer shit.

From the birth of a child, the world is foul
Excursions of a certain child
Should learn not to take nothin' personal
A parent hates to watch his baby's face
Takin' his first immunization shots, but this is great
The child's introduction to suffering and pain
Understands without words
Nothin' is explained or rushed to the brain
Lookin' up at his parents' face
Like, "I thought you would protect me from this scary place?"
"Why'd you let them inject me?"
"Who's gonna know how these side effects is gonna affect me?"

I just remember the last Nas album I listened to went into some weird anti-vaxxer shit.

From the birth of a child, the world is foul
Excursions of a certain child
Should learn not to take nothin' personal
A parent hates to watch his baby's face
Takin' his first immunization shots, but this is great
The child's introduction to suffering and pain
Understands without words
Nothin' is explained or rushed to the brain
Lookin' up at his parents' face
Like, "I thought you would protect me from this scary place?"
"Why'd you let them inject me?"
"Who's gonna know how these side effects is gonna affect me?"
Anti-vax is unfortunately pretty common in hip hop bars so if we are holding Nas to that fire we have to keep the same energy whenever we mention Royce, or Freddie, or....

Right or wrong, Ive heard these MCs defend their distrust and it really comes down to the stories that run deep in their communities. Tuskegee, experimentation on black women, sterilizations in the guise of medical help. Centuries of medical atrocities aren’t easily forgotten

I thought the reception of it was written had gone down over time... Jay Z in takeover said it wasn't hot, and in many ways it was a more commercial and more dated album

I don't know the most about Nas to be honest because I'm actually one of those weird people who thinks illmatic is not perfect (I'm more into other 90s classics like the infamous and low end theory and the score). So maybe I just forgot about it
It Was Written seems to actually have grown in stature since it’s release. As a sophomore follow up to Illmatic, people weren’t expecting the switch up to that street mafioso style. But shit, I feel like every NY MC in the 90s took a turn putting out some of that mafia street rap.

Takeover? That’s a Nas diss song. What does Jay’s critique of Nas at the height of their beef mean exactly?

Definitely some commercial singles on that one, but man there are so many classic Nas bars on that one.

Anti-vax is unfortunately pretty common in hip hop bars so if we are holding Nas to that fire we have to keep the same energy whenever we mention Royce, or Freddie, or....
I mean part of it comes from a distrust of the government and the Tuskegee study.. not to mention they put M.I.A as their big 100th essentials and she openly isn't for vaccines

1, 2, 5 (or debatably 4)

this is probably members of the rap group due to the previous hint and the last month (last clue was probably not age due to how they made 4 or 5 albums before 31 is weird.. and if its to do with the years since... who the hell made 4 or 5 albums in 1990 when hip hop was only around for like 10 years).. so a solo artist.. a duo.. and a quintet/quartet

it COULD mean album number though... what 1990 hip hop album had 4 or technically 5 albums by then.. or do we have clue 1 all wrong

thank me for being awake in weird hours

1, 2, 5 (or debatably 4)

this is probably members of the rap group due to the previous hint and the last month (last clue was probably not age due to how they made 4 or 5 albums before 31 is weird.. and if its to do with the years since... who the hell made 4 or 5 albums in 1990 when hip hop was only around for like 10 years).. so a solo artist.. a duo.. and a quintet/quartet

it COULD mean album number though... what 1990 hip hop album had 4 or technically 5 albums by then.. or do we have clue 1 all wrong

thank me for being awake in weird hours

I think BDP - Edutainment would fit 1990 and 4th(or 5th) album.

Back