Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

This is an elite R&HH ROTM pick overall ever since it started for me. Incredible album I can't wait to get it 🙌
I agree! This is a 10/10 pick! Can’t believe we are getting this after Ghostface Killah’s Fishscale being the last R&HH ROTM! 👏👏👏

VMP have really been delivering in the R&HH sub at the moment! If we are getting elite R&HH ROTM picks like this, then I’m happy to pay USD$33 + tax for those picks! 👍

I agree! This is a 10/10 pick! Can’t believe we are getting this after Ghostface Killah’s Fishscale being the last R&HH ROTM! 👏👏👏

VMP have really been delivering in the R&HH sub at the moment! If we are getting elite R&HH ROTM picks like this, then I’m happy to pay USD$33 + tax for those picks! 👍
Yeah picks like fishscale and muddy waters are why I subbed in the first place. No issue paying a premium if picks like this kept coming but you know its inevitable that "Snow - 12 Inches Of Snow" will come and be more political than you care to remember at some stage 😭😭😭

Yeah picks like fishscale and muddy waters are why I subbed in the first place. No issue paying a premium if picks like this kept coming but you know its inevitable that "Snow - 12 Inches Of Snow" will come and be more political than you care to remember at some stage 😭😭😭
I know!!! I definitely know there will be a few R&HH ROTM skips that I’m going to skip next year because they’ll be very average! I really hope we don’t get Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise as a future R&HH ROTM! 😂😭

I know!!! I definitely know there will be a few R&HH ROTM skips that I’m going to skip next year because they’ll be very average! I really hope we don’t get Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise as a future R&HH ROTM! 😂😭
We won't. Lol conversely I'm hoping to cop that Saturday with Currensy Pilot Talk lol. I've got It Takes A Thief & My Soul. I need Gangstas Paradise. I love Coolio 🤣

We won't. Lol conversely I'm hoping to cop that Saturday with Currensy Pilot Talk lol. I've got It Takes A Thief & My Soul. I need Gangstas Paradise. I love Coolio 🤣
Nothing wrong with loving Coolio! I mean, Playboi Carti’s Die Lit will probably end up being the R&HH ROTM you skip but I’ll be going all crazy and will be celebrating if Die Lit is picked! 🤣🤣🤣

Good luck with grabbing Curren$y‘s Pilot Talk! Hope you can grab yourself a copy of that album! 🤞

Nothing wrong with loving Coolio! I mean, Playboi Carti’s Die Lit will probably end up being the R&HH ROTM you skip but I’ll be going all crazy and will be celebrating if Die Lit is picked! 🤣🤣🤣

Good luck with grabbing Curren$y‘s Pilot Talk! Hope you can grab yourself a copy of that album! 🤞
I wouldnt actually skip Die Lit. It hasn't clicked with me for whatever reason but it still might. Its happened before. I wouldn't be mad at that pick because it is something not available, something considered by majority worthy of a pick and id be happy to own a copy through the sub tbh. Certain picks just rub me up the wrong way completely lol

Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone might help me. I'm fairly new to Rap and Hip Hop and have very little knowledge of classic albums, crate diggers etc. Through VMP, I discovered Noname and Saba and slowly started to get into it. Then last year's Grey Area by Little Simz turned out to be my AOTY. Now with Freddie Gibbs Alfredo, I found another album I'm obsessed by. I absolutely want to dig deeper into the genre and was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendation based on these albums. Sonically I'm basically looking for grim stuff with organic production and real instrumentation, if that makes sense?

Some of these are harder and darker and some are obvious and some are less so but all of them are older 90's to earliest '01
Mobb Deep: The Infamous
The Juggaknots: s/t
The Nonce: World Ultimate
Freestyle Fellowship: InnerCity Griots
Company Flow: Funcrusher+
Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein
Aesop Rock: Labor Days
Godfather Don: Diabolique
Del: Deltron 3030

Last few years or so:
Ka: Descendants of Cain, Dr. Yen Lo
Conway: Reject 2, G.O.A.T.
Benny the Butcher: Tana Talk 3, The Plugs I Met
Open Mike Eagle: Dark Comedy, Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
Armand Hammer: Shrines
Billy Woods: Terror Management
R.A.P. Ferreira: Purple Moonlight pages
Anti-Lilly & Phoniks: It's Nice Outside
Che Noir & Apollo Brown: As God Intended
Crimeapple: Medallo
V Don, Eto, & Willie the Kid: Heather Grey

Check out Jean Grae's catalogue and Little Brother

Some of these are harder and darker and some are obvious and some are less so but all of them are older 90's to earliest '01
Mobb Deep: The Infamous
The Juggaknots: s/t
The Nonce: World Ultimate
Freestyle Fellowship: InnerCity Griots
Company Flow: Funcrusher+
Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein
Aesop Rock: Labor Days
Godfather Don: Diabolique
Del: Deltron 3030

Last few years or so:
Ka: Descendants of Cain, Dr. Yen Lo
Conway: Reject 2, G.O.A.T.
Benny the Butcher: Tana Talk 3, The Plugs I Met
Open Mike Eagle: Dark Comedy, Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
Armand Hammer: Shrines
Billy Woods: Terror Management
R.A.P. Ferreira: Purple Moonlight pages
Anti-Lilly & Phoniks: It's Nice Outside
Che Noir & Apollo Brown: As God Intended
Crimeapple: Medallo
V Don, Eto, & Willie the Kid: Heather Grey

Check out Jean Grae's catalogue and Little Brother
Really good list.

I'm surprised you went with Terror Management as a recommendation for woods, I like it! I am thinking lately that Known Unknowns is a good accessible place to start, but I'm not sure I'm the best judge of what's accessible for him now. Same for Ka, maybe Honor Killed The Samurai? But hard to say.

Speaking of woods and Can Ox, I was reading someone saying Vordul's Megagraphitti was very slept on and underrated today, can anyone speak to that? I need to check it out.

Really good list.

I'm surprised you went with Terror Management as a recommendation for woods, I like it! I am thinking lately that Known Unknowns is a good accessible place to start, but I'm not sure I'm the best judge of what's accessible for him now. Same for Ka, maybe Honor Killed The Samurai? But hard to say.

Speaking of woods and Can Ox, I was reading someone saying Vordul's Megagraphitti was very slept on and underrated today, can anyone speak to that? I need to check it out.

History Will Absolve me might be my favorite woods album. I don't know if any of it is very accessible. I didn't put any Busdriver on the list because that's more difficult. A lot of things I listen to are pretty heavy on the challenging lyrics and topics side.

I've never actually listened to that Vordul Mega album. I should rectify that. I listened to Vast Aire's Look Mom No Hands a bit back when but never really checked out Vordul's solo stuff.

History Will Absolve me might be my favorite woods album. I don't know if any of it is very accessible. I didn't put any Busdriver on the list because that's more difficult. A lot of things I listen to are pretty heavy on the challenging lyrics and topics side.

I've never actually listened to that Vordul Mega album. I should rectify that. I listened to Vast Aire's Look Mom No Hands a bit back when but never really checked out Vordul's solo stuff.
Yeah, I think it's hard for me to say much of woods is accessible as a whole. For some reason songs like Police Came To My Show Tonight gets stuck in my head more so maybe that means more accessible? Seems like there are more repeated catchy hooks on that one. Haha, I dunno, JUST SAY HES THE BEST, LET'S NOT ARGUE.

Hope he comes through with that History Will Absolve Me reissue.

Agree on busdriver even though he is incredible.

Yeah, I think it's hard for me to say much of woods is accessible as a whole. For some reason songs like Police Came To My Show Tonight gets stuck in my head more so maybe that means more accessible? Seems like there are more repeated catchy hooks on that one. Haha, I dunno, JUST SAY HES THE BEST, LET'S NOT ARGUE.

Hope he comes through with that History Will Absolve Me reissue.

Agree on busdriver even though he is incredible.

I have an extra copy of Today I Wrote Nothing and Terror Management. DM if you need either.

Extremely happy we are getting Redman’s Muddy Waters! 😍🕺

This is a top 3 Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM pick of 2020, along with Prince Paul and Ghostface Killah! 🔥
Muddy Waters, IMO is hands down, far and away the best RHH pick of the year. Those other 2 are top 3 and really good albums, but they are a distant second and third. Muddy Waters is Redman's pinnacle as an artist. It's his Supreme Clientele or Purple Tape.

I already own Big Boi but wow they are on an incredible roll right now 🙌 this is the sub we asked for 🙏🔥
Exactly! This is exactly the sub we asked for! These are all incredible picks and I can’t wait to spin them!

Do you have a copy of Redman’s Muddy Waters?

Also, are you massive fan of the People Under The Stairs ROTM pick! I freaking love that album! I’m so happy it wasn’t Jurassic 5! I had a feeling VMP would do People Under The Stairs as it feels more like a ROTM and Jurassic 5’s album is pretty average!

O.S.T. is def better than the other prevailing in-running, J5. I will say, O.S.T. is the weakest of the 3 (O.S.T., Redman, Big Boi).

It's long in the tooth (76 min). I don't mind a long album but it doesn't offer enough variation in its sonic palette. It's is basically straight rapping (good flow, but usually not interesting subject matter) over old school sampling (the production is the star IMO and elevates middle-of-the road lyricism). Any approximations to choruses, hooks are not terribly memorable.

It kind of reminds me of what bothered me with 7L & Estoteric albums - Esoteric is an immensely talented MC (more so than Thes One or Double K, IMO) and the production is firmly rooted in hip-hop heritage and pedigree; but it just all ends up sounding the same.

Again, better pick than J5. But not a super-exciting pick. YMMV. I'm not a big Redman fan, as I've stated before (and won't be picking it up), but I think it's a much more exciting pick.

Exactly! This is exactly the sub we asked for! These are all incredible picks and I can’t wait to spin them!

Do you have a copy of Redman’s Muddy Waters?

Also, are you massive fan of the People Under The Stairs ROTM pick! I freaking love that album! I’m so happy it wasn’t Jurassic 5! I had a feeling VMP would do People Under The Stairs as it feels more like a ROTM and Jurassic 5’s album is pretty average!
I dont have Muddy on vinyl just CD so thrilled to finally get it 🙌

I like OST its the weakest of the 3 picks but its still a really good choice & something I don't own so I am very happy to have that too

J5 would have been a really meh pick

Back