Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone might help me. I'm fairly new to Rap and Hip Hop and have very little knowledge of classic albums, crate diggers etc. Through VMP, I discovered Noname and Saba and slowly started to get into it. Then last year's Grey Area by Little Simz turned out to be my AOTY. Now with Freddie Gibbs Alfredo, I found another album I'm obsessed by. I absolutely want to dig deeper into the genre and was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendation based on these albums. Sonically I'm basically looking for grim stuff with organic production and real instrumentation, if that makes sense?
Please try Dave - Psychodrama

And then we can go from there. Welcome to the wonderful ride that is Hip Hop ❤🤝🏼

Fun Fact : Dave & Little Simz starrrd with Kano & Asher D in Netflix Top Boy last year. Dave won the Mercury prize for this album. Along with Freddie Gibbs Bandana this is my joint top album of 2019

Last edited:
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone might help me. I'm fairly new to Rap and Hip Hop and have very little knowledge of classic albums, crate diggers etc. Through VMP, I discovered Noname and Saba and slowly started to get into it. Then last year's Grey Area by Little Simz turned out to be my AOTY. Now with Freddie Gibbs Alfredo, I found another album I'm obsessed by. I absolutely want to dig deeper into the genre and was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendation based on these albums. Sonically I'm basically looking for grim stuff with organic production and real instrumentation, if that makes sense?
I recommend:

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

That album is organic instrumentally, very focused like Little Simz’ Grey Area, conscious, but is also nocturnal, dark and is quite grimy! It’s one of my favourite hip-hop albums of the 90’s! Can’t recommend that album enough!

If you like noname and little Sims you might want to give speech debelle a try also lloyle carner might be something you enjoy

Try OutKast - Aquemini. Definitely not as grim as Freddie, but has some of OutKast’s darker/moodier works. Also, this album blew mind when it came out with its more dynamic & lush production as opposed to all the loops & chopped up samples I had been listening to before then.

If you enjoy Gibbs you should check out releases on the Griselda label (Benny The Butcher, Conway The Machine, and Westside Gunn) Their brand of rap is pretty gritty and they have worked with The Alchemist frequently as a producer. (The Alchemist produced Alfredo). You May also enjoy his Fetti project which is another collaboration between Gibbs, Curren$y, and The Alchemist. Also The Alchemist recently released Yacht Rock 2, that would be worth checking out also.

Roots Manuva - run come save me (gritty stuff for the cool guys)
Nina Simone vs. Lauryn Hill by Amerigo Gazaway (mashup with loads of melody and fugees)
Iam - ecole de micro d’argent (stunning french rap)
Speech Debelle (allready mentioned)
Joey Bada$$ - b4da$$
ocean wisdom - wizzville

to name a few.
oh... and almost every rap album produced in the ‘90s ;)

Try OutKast - Aquemini. Definitely not as grim as Freddie, but has some of OutKast’s darker/moodier works. Also, this album blew mind when it came out with its more dynamic & lush production as opposed to all the loops & chopped up samples I had been listening to before then.
My favourite Outkast album and one of the best hiphop albums of all time 🔥🔥🔥 I considered recommending but I didnt really tie it in with the releases mentioned

Roots Manuva - run come save me (gritty stuff for the cool guys)
Nina Simone vs. Lauryn Hill by Amerigo Gazaway (mashup with loads of melody and fugees)
Iam - ecole de micro d’argent (stunning french rap)
Speech Debelle (allready mentioned)
Joey Bada$$ - b4da$$
ocean wisdom - wizzville

to name a few.
oh... and almost every rap album produced in the ‘90s ;)
Roots Amerigo Badass all favs of mine 🔥

My favourite Outkast album and one of the best hiphop albums of all time 🔥🔥🔥 I considered recommending but I didnt really tie it in with the releases mentioned
I still remember my first time hearing spottieottiedopaliscious in Miami. That was it...

Wasn't 100% sure about "organic production" but I thought Aquemini fit that and the "real instrumentation" part of the request.

Back