Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

It's a good time to be a hip hop fan on VMP.

Redman, Outkast, People Under The Stairs, and Big Boi in a 3 month span is actually incredible. Even if PUTS is the weak link here, this is far and beyond better than some of the other releases we've had this year.

Seems as though we're getting Erykah Badu on top of it?

Holy smokes boys.

Redman, Outkast, People Under The Stairs, and Big Boi in a 3 month span is actually incredible. Even if PUTS is the weak link here, this is far and beyond better than some of the other releases we've had this year.

Holy smokes boys.
Well said 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Holy smokes boys.
This is 100%. Even though I say I don't care for Redman or that much for PUTS, there's no denying them as good picks (i.e. I can not like something w/out it meaning I dislike something; and I can not like something without taking the wind out of its sails). I think all these picks really speak to hip-hop heads over a large swath.

Underground - PUTS
90s - Redman
Huge albums - Outkast
Big Boi - Big Boi (I don't know, but it's a sick album)

I've just realised that the Big Boi I have has the alternative artwork and is on white vinyl so this VMP version is really welcome to my Kast collection 🙏

I've just realised that the Big Boi I have has the alternative artwork and is on white vinyl so this VMP version is really welcome to my Kast collection 🙏
If I recall, there was only one vinyl run so far and it was w/ alt cover & white. This would be first time w/ CD artwork.

This is 100%. Even though I say I don't care for Redman or that much for PUTS, there's no denying them as good picks (i.e. I can not like something w/out it meaning I dislike something; and I can not like something without taking the wind out of its sails). I think all these picks really speak to hip-hop heads over a large swath.

Underground - PUTS
90s - Redman
Huge albums - Outkast
Big Boi - Big Boi (I don't know, but it's a sick album)
Big Boi is like that left-field, experimental, semi-intellectual, eccentric kind of album that is extremely diverse! It’s a rollercoaster of an album that’s ambitious, and what I like about this album is that Big Boi isn’t scared to go indie and show off his more feminine side! It’s a really cool album in terms of its instrumental pallets - I love it!

OutKast’s “Stankonia” is an iconic hip-hop album that was influential, bold and they showed that you don’t have to sell out to make a magnificent #1 hit! Stankonia is a fearless, explosive, experimental album that is ahead of its time! The fact that it just got ranked in the top #100 of the RollingStones top #500 album further cements its place as a classic, even though RolingStones is a bit rubbish!

People Under The Stairs is definitely underground but was a breakthrough album that features such great production and is an album that has aged nicely, unlike Jurassic 5’s Power In Numbers, an album that’s aged poorly in my opinion.

Redman’s Muddy Waters is just such a quality album, and is definitely Redman’s best album! The beats are exciting, the flow of the album never gets tiring, and Redman is very entertaining on the mic on Muddy Waters! There’s a really nice mix of club, mellow, chilled, boom-bap, quirky and underground songs on Muddy Waters. It’s a cohesive project and it sounds fresh!

Big Boi is like that left-field, experimental, semi-intellectual, eccentric kind of album that is extremely diverse! It’s a rollercoaster of an album that’s ambitious, and what I like about this album is that Big Boi isn’t scared to go indie and show off his more feminine side! It’s a really cool album in terms of its instrumental pallets - I love it!

OutKast’s “Stankonia” is an iconic hip-hop album that was influential, bold and they showed that you don’t have to sell out to make a magnificent #1 hit! Stankonia is a fearless, explosive, experimental album that is ahead of its time! The fact that it just got ranked in the top #100 of the RollingStones top #500 album further cements its place as a classic, even though RolingStones is a bit rubbish!

People Under The Stairs is definitely underground but was a breakthrough album that features such great production and is an album that has aged nicely, unlike Jurassic 5’s Power In Numbers, an album that’s aged poorly in my opinion.

Redman’s Muddy Waters is just such a quality album, and is definitely Redman’s best album! The beats are exciting, the flow of the album never gets tiring, and Redman is very entertaining on the mic on Muddy Waters! There’s a really nice mix of club, mellow, chilled, boom-bap, quirky and underground songs on Muddy Waters. It’s a cohesive project and it sounds fresh!

This will be an odd comparison, but it's something I have thought since I first heard Sir Lucious...

Big Boi is to Outkast as John Paul Jones is to Led Zeppelin (okay, okay...don't abandon me here!)

John Paul Jones was always overshadowed by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (and to an extent Bonham). You have the storied session guitarist turned Yardbird turned riff god who became the musical backbone of these massive songs indelible to the hard rock canon. And you have the blonde-haired, swaggering front man with massive pipes. JPJ was no slouch - besides bass adding melotron, mandolin, etc. But he's seldom going to be the first member mentioned in Zep.

He put out a couple of albums (Zooma, 1999 & The Thunderthief, 2001) on Robert Fripp's label, Discipline Global Music. They were a mostly instrumental endeavour. They didn't carry the strength of any Zep heyday albums, but they were good and they could be intense. When I heard them, it made me rethink my thoughts on the musicality accolades given to Zep (note: I hardly listen to Zep anymore and can take or leave a lot of that dick-swinging machismo rock, but credit where credit is due).

Between those two albums JPJ plays: 4, 6, 10, and 12-string bass guitars, bass steel guitar, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, electric mandolin, piano, organ, synthesizers, Kyma, koto, autoharp, ukulele, harmonica, mandola, bass lap steel.

I got to see him open for King Crimson on tour ~2001 and he played Zep's When The Levee Breaks on bass lap steel and it cut through my guts!

So, where's the comparison? Listening to his albums and seeing him live let me appreciate his magnitude that was always under the surface of Zep.

Sir Lucious was the same thoughts. Big Boi is great with Outkast. I certainly don't think he was ever as marginalized as JPJ in Zep; however, Andre 3000 was more of the celebrity and his lyrics, IME, were always more lauded and concentrated on (and for good cause - he's one of the best MCs to ever do it).

However, Big Boi getting his own album was like Jean Grey getting the Phoenix Force. You always knew he was great, but the album showed just how great. Yes, there are some awesome features but BB shoulders that album with great skill.

To recap: Zep, Big Boi, and Phoenix Force for you Marvel nerds.

I lost a lot because I didnt put anything up for almost a year lol it means nothing how many u have really
But you have a lot of followers because your good-looking Instagram reveals your strong and unique passion for hip-hop! 🎖💯

And yes, I love you so much but I love you even more because I also agree with your ranking with all four Run The Jewels albums! 🥰

RTJ2 > RTJ4 > RTJ > RTJ3 🎯✅

Love Again (Akinyele Back) is just 🔥🔥🔥
Gangsta Boo’s verse hits the jackpot! 🎰🎯💎

But you have a lot of followers because your good-looking Instagram reveals your strong and unique passion for hip-hop! 🎖💯

And yes, I love you so much but I love you even more because I also agree with your ranking with all four Run The Jewels albums! 🥰

RTJ2 > RTJ4 > RTJ > RTJ3 🎯✅

Love Again (Akinyele Back) is just 🔥🔥🔥
Gangsta Boo’s verse hits the jackpot! 🎰🎯💎
Feeling the love buddy. Much appreciated 🙏💙

This will be an odd comparison, but it's something I have thought since I first heard Sir Lucious...

Big Boi is to Outkast as John Paul Jones is to Led Zeppelin (okay, okay...don't abandon me here!)

John Paul Jones was always overshadowed by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (and to an extent Bonham). You have the storied session guitarist turned Yardbird turned riff god who became the musical backbone of these massive songs indelible to the hard rock canon. And you have the blonde-haired, swaggering front man with massive pipes. JPJ was no slouch - besides bass adding melotron, mandolin, etc. But he's seldom going to be the first member mentioned in Zep.

He put out a couple of albums (Zooma, 1999 & The Thunderthief, 2001) on Robert Fripp's label, Discipline Global Music. They were a mostly instrumental endeavour. They didn't carry the strength of any Zep heyday albums, but they were good and they could be intense. When I heard them, it made me rethink my thoughts on the musicality accolades given to Zep (note: I hardly listen to Zep anymore and can take or leave a lot of that dick-swinging machismo rock, but credit where credit is due).

Between those two albums JPJ plays: 4, 6, 10, and 12-string bass guitars, bass steel guitar, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, electric mandolin, piano, organ, synthesizers, Kyma, koto, autoharp, ukulele, harmonica, mandola, bass lap steel.

I got to see him open for King Crimson on tour ~2001 and he played Zep's When The Levee Breaks on bass lap steel and it cut through my guts!

So, where's the comparison? Listening to his albums and seeing him live let me appreciate his magnitude that was always under the surface of Zep.

Sir Lucious was the same thoughts. Big Boi is great with Outkast. I certainly don't think he was ever as marginalized as JPJ in Zep; however, Andre 3000 was more of the celebrity and his lyrics, IME, were always more lauded and concentrated on (and for good cause - he's one of the best MCs to ever do it).

However, Big Boi getting his own album was like Jean Grey getting the Phoenix Force. You always knew he was great, but the album showed just how great. Yes, there are some awesome features but BB shoulders that album with great skill.

To recap: Zep, Big Boi, and Phoenix Force for you Marvel nerds.
I love this comparison! I am not familiar with Led Zeppelin but it’s very true what you said about OutKast; André 3000 is always seen as the better of the two; the more innovative, eccentric, ambitious and lyrically superior half! Everyone knows Big Boi is great, but everyone also thinks Big Boi is nowhere near André 3000’s level of genius-ness!

I listened to Led Zeppelin’s ‘IV’ the other day and enjoyed it! I’m slowly checking their music out, so this background information/perception of the group, is really nice to learn! Thank you Lord! 😘

You’re saw King Crimson and.....you were so young when you saw him!!! You must’ve been really, really into music from a young age! Sounds like you’re music taste developed very early/matured early!

I love this comparison! I am not familiar with Led Zeppelin but it’s very true what you said about OutKast; André 3000 is always seen as the better of the two; the more innovative, eccentric, ambitious and lyrically superior half! Everyone knows Big Boi is great, but everyone also thinks Big Boi is nowhere near André 3000’s level of genius-ness!

I listened to Led Zeppelin’s ‘IV’ the other day and enjoyed it! I’m slowly checking their music out, so this background information/perception of the group, is really nice to learn! Thank you Lord! 😘

You’re saw King Crimson and.....you were so young when you saw him!!! You must’ve been really, really into music from a young age! Sounds like you’re music taste developed very early/matured early!
Kind of....I went through phases like everyone and I don't think my tastes as a teenager were very mature - I did a lot of judging superficially w/out really listening or coming to conclusions about what a musical genre was about w/out really knowing. I played instruments all throughout HS and most of my friends liked classic rock and jazz so I got big into all those types of bands. Zep is kind of boring to me now, but Physical Graffiti is my fave album.

I actually hated pop, rap, electronic music when I was in HS. I wore my musical tastes like badges of honor and didn't respect the artistry. I didn't see Prince beyond a guy wearing assless pants. I didn't respect the poetry of hip hop or the skill it takes to produce a track (I didn't understand the true skill it takes to sample and create beats - I thought it was all button pushing).

It wasn't till I got older. In fact, I started liking hip-hop when I was 18 and first in the military. One of the guys in the barracks was into DJing and we became friendly b/c I had my record collection w/ me. He was into Hieroglyphics, Def Jux, Living Legends, Solesides and a lot of drum n' bass. We went to a Tower Records together and he got me to grab El-p's Fantastic Damage (which had just come out) and Can Ox's Cold Vein (came out year prior). I was like holy shit! So, I began to take in a fire hose of underground hip hop and then started visiting the mainstream acts I ignored in HS (Wu, Nas, Jay, etc). I was dunzo. It was all so great! It was no longer an either/or in musical tastes.

Same w/ Prince - it took someone to show me - I had a senior NCO who I used to car pool with to a training location. This guy was a huge Prince fan; seen him dozens of times, staked out the aftershows, member of the NPG fan club. He had One Nite Alone that had just come out on CD and was given to members of the NPG club. He put it on in the car. Sold! Of course, I had heard the big hits but enjoying what this person played made me revisit it all w/ a new lens.

After these two things I began to ask what other music did I ignore b/c of preconceived notions, images, ideas of Self, etc. I found so much music I had ignored for stupid reasons.

Moral of the story: my job is boring AF and I have too much time to type

Kind of....I went through phases like everyone and I don't think my tastes as a teenager were very mature - I did a lot of judging superficially w/out really listening or coming to conclusions about what a musical genre was about w/out really knowing. I played instruments all throughout HS and most of my friends liked classic rock and jazz so I got big into all those types of bands. Zep is kind of boring to me now, but Physical Graffiti is my fave album.

I actually hated pop, rap, electronic music when I was in HS. I wore my musical tastes like badges of honor and didn't respect the artistry. I didn't see Prince beyond a guy wearing assless pants. I didn't respect the poetry of hip hop or the skill it takes to produce a track (I didn't understand the true skill it takes to sample and create beats - I thought it was all button pushing).

It wasn't till I got older. In fact, I started liking hip-hop when I was 18 and first in the military. One of the guys in the barracks was into DJing and we became friendly b/c I had my record collection w/ me. He was into Hieroglyphics, Def Jux, Living Legends, Solesides and a lot of drum n' bass. We went to a Tower Records together and he got me to grab El-p's Fantastic Damage (which had just come out) and Can Ox's Cold Vein (came out year prior). I was like holy shit! So, I began to take in a fire hose of underground hip hop and then started visiting the mainstream acts I ignored in HS (Wu, Nas, Jay, etc). I was dunzo. It was all so great! It was no longer an either/or in musical tastes.

Same w/ Prince - it took someone to show me - I had a senior NCO who I used to car pool with to a training location. This guy was a huge Prince fan; seen him dozens of times, staked out the aftershows, member of the NPG fan club. He had One Nite Alone that had just come out on CD and was given to members of the NPG club. He put it on in the car. Sold! Of course, I had heard the big hits but enjoying what this person played made me revisit it all w/ a new lens.

After these two things I began to ask what other music did I ignore b/c of preconceived notions, images, ideas of Self, etc. I found so much music I had ignored for stupid reasons.

Moral of the story: my job is boring AF and I have too much time to type
Wow! This is such a great story! I have to make sure I visit you when I come to the U.S. in the future!!!

Interesting that you say Led Zeppelin is quite boring to you now but one of their albums - Physical Graffiti - remains one of your favourite albums ever!!! BLASPHEMY! I can’t imagine me saying I find an artist boring if one of their albums was my absolute favourite! I value a 10/10 album so much in that sense, like I’ll have so much respect for an artist that’s put out a 10/10 album, just like with Britney Spears’ putting out her dangerously addictive, wild, naughty, horny, club-ready, intoxicating, dark masterpiece “Blackout”! I have so much respect for Britney Spears because she released one of the best pop albums of the 21st Century! 🙉

I very much relate to what you’re saying though! I used to be like you in that I only liked hip-hop and R&B! If you didn’t like those genres, I didn’t care much about you but if you did like the kinda music I liked, I wanted to be best friends with you! Silly me! 🤪🤦‍♂️😂

That Prince fan sounds full on! Would’ve been a treat hanging around that NCO when you guys listened to Prince! He sounds like the real deal in terms of a hardcore Prince fan!!! 😍

Back