Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I think my thing with hot takes is I usually think in terms of my favorite instead of objective "best" - it feels weird for me to say something is the best because that implies some degree of objectivity which I lack entirely lol as for "No More Parties in LA" on top of having great performances from both Kanye and Kendrick, has my favorite beat in any Kanye song. But my Kanye opinions would be sacrilegious to most. I'd probably listen to Yeezus before I'd listen to TCD or Late Registration. But that's probably more of a generational thing too.

"Dracula" is a jam but it's also a deep cut, I can't imagine it would make my top 20 Gorillaz songs (a list I am not even remotely prepared to consider making) even though I do love it. But again - if you were to ask my favorite I'd probably say "Stop the Dams" which is a song I doubt many others care about and even among the fans it's not one I think too many others love to the same degree that I do.
Mmmm the Madlib production on No More Parties in L.A. is exceptional and like you said, both Kanye and Kendrick’s performances on the track are marvellous! It’s my second favourite song on The Life of Pablo! It’s such a great song to play on the dance floor too, but it has that summer nights laidback vibe too! It’s a real gem! 🕺💃🌴

I love Stop The Dams but it is not one of my favourites although it’s definitely one of their best deep cuts! But yeah, I think you have a special connection to that song, like you must be a top #5 Stop The Dams fan in the whole world because you are a humongous Gorillaz fan and I remember you being so psyched when you played Stop The Dams on the turntable! 😍

My favourite song by Gorillaz would have to be “Feel Good Inc,”! Like I know it’s their most well-known track, but gosh, that baseline and just the moodiness yet how punchy and dreamy the song is, is amazing! And I feel like it’s a very authentic haunting, lonesome, animated song that’s gripping, fun and features a classic, fun, cartoonish verse from De La Soul! Like ‘Feel Good Inc,’ is too good! Really is! I love that track so much! ❤😭

Mmmm the Madlib production on No More Parties in L.A. is exceptional and like you said, both Kanye and Kendrick’s performances on the track are marvellous! It’s my second favourite song on The Life of Pablo! It’s such a great song to play on the dance floor too, but it has that summer nights laidback vibe too! It’s a real gem! 🕺💃🌴

I love Stop The Dams but it is not one of my favourites although it’s definitely one of their best deep cuts! But yeah, I think you have a special connection to that song, like you must be a top #5 Stop The Dams fan in the whole world because you are a humongous Gorillaz fan and I remember you being so psyched when you played Stop The Dams on the turntable! 😍

My favourite song by Gorillaz would have to be “Feel Good Inc,”! Like I know it’s their most well-known track, but gosh, that baseline and just the moodiness yet how punchy and dreamy the song is, is amazing! And I feel like it’s a very authentic haunting, lonesome, animated song that’s gripping, fun and features a classic, fun, cartoonish verse from De La Soul! Like ‘Feel Good Inc,’ is too good! Really is! I love that track so much! ❤😭
It was lovely to hear "Stop the Dams" on vinyl 🥺

I love "Feel Good Inc." but it's also one of them that i think i just have overplayed, i only put it on once in a while by itself because I've heard it so much but it is an amazing song and one of their best singles for sure. The same kinda goes for "Clint Eastwood" to a lesser extent, both those tracks are so huge and I love hearing them in the context of the albums but I'm also kinda like "do I really wanna hear this for the 90 billionth time?" For what it's worth, the answer is usually yes but still 😅

I love Quality Control. I haven't spent time with Power In Numbers. I think QC is a a great album maybe a notch or two below some of the best of Tribe or De La but it is still a great record and I enjoy the production quite a bit too but maybe I am just a big cornball.
I actually don't see why this comment is getting flack. It seems like you, more or less, agree w/ my assessment of J5.

QC is certainly a notch or two below Tribe/De La. It just so happens these are notches on the world's longest belt.

I started typing some then realized I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to R&HH takes - there's a very real possibility of lil baby me getting schooled by the pros in here 😳

That said, "No More Parties in LA" is Kanye's best song 😗

Great song. Kanye's best track in a LONG time. But best ever might be a bit strong for my taste.

Also not sure how hot/cold of a take this is, but I genuinely feel like Denzel Curry's TA13OO is one of the best albums of the decade - or at least it's one of my favorites. I can replay that thing front to back over and over and not get bored with it. The progression of the album from relatively soft and mellow to agressive and loud is so well executed and the album just has a great flow to it.

Love TA13OO a lot, but again saying best of the 2010s is a bit rich for my blood. Easily put the following ahead and that's just quickly thinking: MBDTF, WTT, GKMC, TPAB, DAMN, Pinata, 2014FHD, etc.

However, don't let your opinions be squashed just because you perceive others to be 'more knowledgeable'. Every opinion is valid!

Spaceship is a top tier Kanye track for me too
I just have a such a sweet spot for old Kanye stuff that wasn't all wrapped up in insanity and was fun, real and relatable. I love most of his music overall but those original soulful beats just never get old to me and Kanye wasn't a raging psychopath yet.

I just have a such a sweet spot for old Kanye stuff that wasn't all wrapped up in insanity and was fun, real and relatable. I love most of his music overall but those original soulful beats just never get old to me and Kanye wasn't a raging psychopath yet.
Yeah Soulful Kanye is undefeated imo. His production and features for other artists at the time too ❤

5 star Kanye songs according to my ratings in my iTunes library:

We Don't Care, All Falls Down, Family Business, Heard 'Em Say, Gold Digger, both versions of Diamonds From Sierra Leone, Hey Mama, Late, Champion, Good Life, Devil In A New Dress, Real Friends, No More Parties In LA, No Mistakes

Hmmm... Spaceship and Through The Wire should probably be in there, too. Also, New God Flow.

Back