Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Much of my vinyl collecting life has been spent detesting the abridged versions of Southerplaya after buying the RSD version and feeling duped shortly thereafter. So I gotta say, VMP deserves props on this. Sounds and looks great.

I agree completely. I just did a comparison between the VMP and Newbury versions and its not even close. VMP has the better packaging, heavier vinyl, deeper/fuller bass, and clearer vocals. Not to mention the full tracklist! I couldn't be more pleased with it.

I agree completely. I just did a comparison between the VMP and Newbury versions and its not even close. VMP has the better packaging, heavier vinyl, deeper/fuller bass, and clearer vocals. Not to mention the full tracklist! I couldn't be more pleased with it.
Yep I mean when GZ manages to get it right it generally sounds pretty good. I've got the Newbury Atliens and it isn't even close in terms of sound.

For whatever reason I never had Tical in my cd collection until the 2010s and at that time it felt a little underwhelming to me. Liquid Swords, Ironman, and Return to the 36 Chambers had already been my favorites for years and I just wasn’t getting the same excitement hearing Tical. Also it always sounded sorta quiet to me. Anyway it finally grew on me within the last few years and I think it’s a pretty solid album. Still an odd pick for VMP. OB4CL is the album I would want from them. I could be biased since I don’t have that one. I will be pretty bummed if this doesn’t sound much better than the already available version.

Also if it’s not Tical then nevermind.

It's weird to see all the lukewarm reactions to Tical. To me, it's a top tier Wu album. Worthy of a R&HH ROTM reissue? Hell no.. but still one of the best Wu albums ever.
Yeah honestly I keep going back and forth on getting it. I have a small collection (300) so I try to curate things as best I can and I'm not sure this is a album I need as part of that 300. The singles on it are all bangers but most everything else is... less interesting to me...

It's weird to see all the lukewarm reactions to Tical. To me, it's a top tier Wu album. Worthy of a R&HH ROTM reissue? Hell no.. but still one of the best Wu albums ever.
Method Man is hella dope as part of the Wu and as part of a Duo with Redman his solo albums are solid but never did much for replay value for me compared to his Wu peers.

For anyone else who has issues with OutKast, of course they don’t have any replacements in stock, have to wait till “August”.

Totally agree on the Discogs issue. Hell, it would be easier for me to just get another copy of there since mine seems to have post pressing surface damage and for all I know the second pressing could be even worse.

Unless there’s something amazing done to Tical mastering it looks like I may be finally canceling next month, and only sucked back in by something actually exciting.

I like that it's a ROTM, but I just don't need a super special reissue of an album that I feel is pretty commonly on discogs for ~20$

Speaking of Wu, when is somebody going to put out 36 Chambers on a proper double vinyl release? I figure everyone has a copy of that but the common NRP cut reissue is pretty terrible!

Yeah, I'm remarkably unimpressed with my copy. It's the newest reissue, I assume. Sound is flat and weak. And the jacket image quality is horrendous.

Speaking of Wu, when is somebody going to put out 36 Chambers on a proper double vinyl release? I figure everyone has a copy of that but the common NRP cut reissue is pretty terrible!
I read somewhere that the source material is pretty rough and likely would never sound all that great on high end analog/vinyl. I hope I’m wrong because 36 Chambers is a strong contender in my book for greatest hip-hop album of all time.

I read somewhere that the source material is pretty rough and likely would never sound all that great on high end analog/vinyl. I hope I’m wrong because 36 Chambers is a strong contender in my book for greatest hip-hop album of all time.
I have this one and it sounds pretty good though I’ve never heard an original or any other vinyl copy... https://www.discogs.com/Wu-Tang-Clan-Enter-The-Wu-Tang-36-Chambers/release/10751545

I wonder how the OG 12” singles sound?

Back