Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I read somewhere that the source material is pretty rough and likely would never sound all that great on high end analog/vinyl. I hope I’m wrong because 36 Chambers is a strong contender in my book for greatest hip-hop album of all time.

This is why I dont own it.

I was eyeing off that 7inch re-release hoping maybe it be better but going by the comments its not.
So im under the impression every single release of that album is completely shit.

I read somewhere that the source material is pretty rough and likely would never sound all that great on high end analog/vinyl. I hope I’m wrong because 36 Chambers is a strong contender in my book for greatest hip-hop album of all time.
Yea it was recorded on cheaper equipment and was never meant to have a high end audio mastering. Part of the glory of 36 chambers is the gritty sound caused by the way it was recorded. There will never be a "good" vinyl copy of 36 Chambers.

Yeah I’d say based on what I know it is rough, but the album is pretty gritty and lo-fi even with a cleaner source. That said, the levels and noisefloor on the current NRP cut LP are horrible, not really 100% their fault at the length of the album. I think a proper 2xLP would at least compete with the CD, and other hip-hop albums.

I have a black copy and a yellow copy of 36 chambers and both sound fine to me because they sound like I expect

I have the 180g vinyl and at first I thought it was fine, but it really does sound bad compared to the digital version I have and the original cassette. Makes me sad. I can’t listen to it anymore.

I have the 180g vinyl and at first I thought it was fine, but it really does sound bad compared to the digital version I have and the original cassette. Makes me sad. I can’t listen to it anymore.

Lol, same. I think when people hear complaints about “mastering” they start to think of high end audiophile stuff. No, in this case the vinyl reissues are really just worse than the CD, and I’m not shocked the cassette is better too. No it’s never going to sound “great” compared to better recorded HH albums but it could certainly sound better with more room to breath.

Back