Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

That Saba record never clicked for me. I gave it multiple attempts based on the hype and personally never got it. It’s was too downbeat and and dour to keep my attention and nothing about it made me want to relistem to it (beyond trying to understand the hype) it was a release I actually ended up swapping even though I knew it was going to shoot up in value because it was something that I could never see myself listening to.
I actually signed up for it because it was on my list of albums to buy and I was afraid I would miss it or have to pay more, like I did with Noname. I haven't gone back to it a ton though, I should.

I feel it will be Big Boi. I've already got it on colour vinyl and CD but I'll take a VMP version. Just wish of all the Def Jam "modern classics" it was something else entirely. Big boi album is tier 2 in that bracket if "modern classic" is what storf labelled it
I don't know if there are any "modern classics" that year really. I think the only one I've even heard up for debate is Kanye and we know it isn't that. I agree with some that modern classic is a dumb term anyway, but still.

I think they should do more for hiphop.
Start a "Classic" Hiphop track with just hiphop before 1995

Then with regular hiphop track focus on hard to get stuff/mix it with fresh stuff kinda like what we get now.

Cause we can never have enough hiphop and what hiphop fan doesnt like hiphop before 95?

I think they should do more for hiphop.
Start a "Classic" Hiphop track with just hiphop before 1995

Then with regular hiphop focus on hard to get stuff/mix it with fresh stuff kinda like what we get now.

Cause we can never have enough hiphop and what hiphop fan doesnt like hiphop before 95?
Agreed. The way Storf made it sound over on Reddit, i does not seem likely they will ever expand beyond the three tracks. He made it sound like the 3 existing tracks were almost too much work. Made it seem as though you be more likely to see more “Anthologies” than new tracks.

Agreed. The way Storf made it sound over on Reddit, i does not seem likely they will ever expand beyond the three tracks. He made it sound like the 3 existing tracks were almost too much work. Made it seem as though you be more likely to see more “Anthologies” than new tracks.

Quick solution. Get rid of the other 2 tracks xD haha they are less popular and take good time away from a 2nd hiphop track ;)

hahaha

But fuck they got millions of dollars.. why cant they hire more people to run another one.. they still will get more profit even with hiring more people.. just seems like so much more potential but they like nah fk it lol

So much good music before 95 that I have forgotten about until @Clint Howard brings it up and classics I havent forgot about but the vinyl releases have negative reviews so I just dont fuck with it. Id be keen as for it! It would also give more reason to read that shitty hiphop email they keep sending me about classics and great albums lol

I don't know if there are any "modern classics" that year really. I think the only one I've even heard up for debate is Kanye and we know it isn't that. I agree with some that modern classic is a dumb term anyway, but still.
Yeah kanye is the only 2010 worthy of that moniker. I am really hoping its Apollo Kids but doubtful. If we live in an era were modern classic is a term or classic is getting thrown about so freely then as far as def jam goes vmp really should of got MNIMN imo

I believe Storf said one of them was right prior to me guessing U.F.O. The Reddit post with the guesses was edited after Storf posted that comment.

The reddit post was edited removing the three Classics guesses, despite none of them being ruled out. No idea why they did that.

Essentials is the only one I feel pretty solid on at the moment.

Am I too late to join in on the ranking of R&HH ROTMs? For the past year, I'd put em at

1. Saba - Care For Me
2. Outkast - Southernplayalistic
3. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
4. Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
5. Handsome Boy Modeling School - So How's Your Girl
6. Juvenile - 400 Degreez
7. Rico Nasty - Nasty
8. Denzel Curry - TA13OO
9. Method Man - Tical
10. Ivy Sole - Overgrown
11. TI - King
12. Knxwledge - Hud Dreems

Second year of R&HH wasn't nearly as good as first year, unfortunately. A couple highlights, but IMO only 3 of these are legitimately great releases, compared to the first year where I'd say at LEAST over half of them were great

People can say he is derivative if they want, but in my opinion he put out an album better than anything Chance or Mick Jenkins have done in the last 5 years. I'm bummed that Mick never put out a properly trimmed down album that hit the highs of the water(s)

Chance never really did it for me at all though and Saba clicked for some reason.
mmmm I hear you! I also agree that it’s a bit of a shame Mick Jenkins never put anything great out after The Water(s). I was really excited for his debut album, especially after he did that Drowning single with BadBadNotGood, but his debut studio album was bloated and unfocused.

Yeah, with Chance, it’s like how a lot of people can’t get into Danny Brown because of the voice/eccentric characteristic. I really enjoyed Colouring Book and Acid Rap, but I don’t enjoy anything about his latest album - biggest flop of the year in my opinion.

I’m looking forward to Saba’s next album. I would say Saba clicks for me, I’m just being quite critical towards Care For Me. I can see Saba creating a masterpiece with his next album, because of his narrative skills. His personal storytelling really does captivate you!

Yeah like WSG, Benny, Conway.
Westside Gunn, I like him because of Supreme Blientele. I think his eccentric and very caricature delivery fitted well with the 70’s soul-inspired production. It actually all sounds sick and haunted, but so flavourful. But everything else Westside Gunn has released, I’ve found it unmemorable. With Conway, I wasn’t digging his 2018 album - Everybody is F.O.O.D. The production was bland, and the overall project was forgettable.

With Westside’s Gunn album that recently came out, I just didn’t care much for it. I’m not going to really be anticipating Westside Gunn’s next album because I can’t imagine him really doing something special.

I don’t know, I don’t care much for Griselda. Supreme Blientele was special though!

These lists y'all are making are hurting my heart :(

So, so many great albums that hit such different parts of the hip-hop musical spectrum in terms of delivery, production, feel... it's one thing to have a preference to a style within a genre, it's another to try and over-intellectualize your preference to others. Just let it be and be grateful that these albums are on our racks.

...although, Juvenile did nothing for me. You're allowed, but I'm super-excited for Hud Dreams in a way that 400 Degrees left me cold.

Westside Gunn, I like him because of Supreme Blientele. I think his eccentric and very caricature delivery fitted well with the 70’s soul-inspired production. It actually all sounds sick and haunted, but so flavourful. But everything else Westside Gunn has released, I’ve found it unmemorable. With Conway, I wasn’t digging his 2018 album - Everybody is F.O.O.D. The production was bland, and the overall project was forgettable.

With Westside’s Gunn album that recently came out, I just didn’t care much for it. I’m not going to really be anticipating Westside Gunn’s next album because I can’t imagine him really doing something special.

I don’t know, I don’t care much for Griselda. Supreme Blientele was special though!

Have you ever listened to Flygod or any of the Hitler Wears Hermes series? Some HWH releases are the best of Griselda imho.

Back