Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

This my ranking for the Rap & Hip-Hop ROTMā€™s.

ROTM picks 1 - 8 are all outstanding picks. The rest range from pretty good to just good/OK.

1. Handsome Boy Modelling School - So...Howā€™s Your Girl?
2. Juvenile - 400 Degreez
3. Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
4. OutKast - Southernplayalisticadilacmuzik
5. Lilā€™ Wayne - Tha Carter III
6. Method Man - Tical
7. Denzel Curry - TA13OO
8. Ivy Sole - Overgrown
9. Rico Nasty - Nasty
10. Knxwledge - Hud Dreems
11. T.I. - KING
12. Saba - Care For Me
Is 'care for me' last bc you didn't buy it or the actual music was that bad?

Would be great to get some more recent titles that havenā€™t had a vinyl pressing yet, such as Megan Thee Stallionā€™s Fever, Playboi Cartiā€™s Die Lit, Nonameā€™s Room 25, J.I.D.ā€™s DiCaprio 2, CupcakKeā€™s Ephorize!
DiCaprio 2 is probably one of the few ROTMs they could do to hook me back in, no questions asked.

Is 'care for me' last bc you didn't buy it or the actual music was that bad?
I have Care For Me. Itā€™s a really good sounding pressing. VMP did a really good job with it.

Itā€™s just my least favourite because of the music on it. I still enjoy the album though. Itā€™s very close with T.I.ā€™s KING, but T.I. just has those classic tracks like Why You Wanna and What You Know that are irresistible. More highlights on KING and Sabaā€™s Care For Me doesnā€™t have much uniqueness sonically in my opinion. Like Calligraphy and Smile sound a bit safe and a bit like low-key Chance The Rapper and Noname but less interesting. I still like Care For Me, but itā€™s my least favourite pick so far. Iā€™d rate the album 6.9/10. Itā€™s a solid album, but a forgettable album in 2018

I have Care For Me. Itā€™s a really good sounding pressing. VMP did a really good job with it.

Itā€™s just my least favourite because of the music on it. I still enjoy the album though. Itā€™s very close with T.I.ā€™s KING, but T.I. just has those classic tracks like Why You Wanna and What You Know that are irresistible. More highlights on KING and Sabaā€™s Care For Me doesnā€™t have much uniqueness sonically in my opinion. Like Calligraphy and Smile sound a bit safe and a bit like low-key Chance The Rapper and Noname but less interesting. I still like Care For Me, but itā€™s my least favourite pick so far. Iā€™d rate the album 6.9/10. Itā€™s a solid album, but a forgettable album in 2018

That Saba album is the hottest shit out of any new kid this decade. That and Colouring book. Check the U. šŸ˜‰

The list I will say in a few years.

1.2pac - Me Against The World
2.Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
3.Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
4.Die Antwoord - $0$
5.J.I.D - DiCaprio 2
6.Luniz - Operation Stackola
7.CunninLynguists - Oneirology
8.Brockhampton - Saturation Boxset
9.Kanye West - MBDTF
10.Tech N9ne - Absolute Power

:ROFLMAO: šŸ‘Œ

Now that the second year of the RHH sub is done I thought Iā€™d rank them. Would be interested in how others would rank them. I know a lot of people might think Iā€™ve got Tical high and I get that it was already readily available but I reckon thatā€™s a top ten all time hip hop record for me, and my third favourite Wu project after 36 Chambers and Supreme Clientele.

1. Method Man - Tical
  2. Ivy Sole - Overgrown
  3. Handsome Boy Modelling School - So . . . Howā€™s Your Girl?
  4. Denzel Curry - Taboo
  5. Saba - Care For Me
  6. Rico Nasty - Nasty
  7. OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
  8. Juvenile - 400 Degreez
  9. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
  10. TI - King
  11. Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
  12. Knxledge - Hud Dreems
1. 400 Degreez
2. Tical
3. Tha Carter III
4. King
5. Handsome
6. Taboo
7. SouthernPlayalisticCaddillacMuzik
8. Care for me
9. Overgrown
10. Uptown Saturday Night
11. Nasty (dont own it)
12. Hud Dreems (wont own it)

Outkast would be No.1 if I didnt own a copy and it wasnt readily available already.
We are only going by last 12 months so that's why Snoop Doom etc ain't ranked.

Last edited:
1. 400 Degreez
2. Tical
3. Tha Carter III
4. King
5. Handsome
6. Taboo
8. Care for me
9. Overgrown
11. Nasty
12. Hud Dreems

Outkast would be No.1 if I didnt own a copy and it wasnt readily available already.

I know you put KING that high just to make me laugh.. good one bro :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I know you put KING that high just to make me laugh.. good one bro :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
This list isnt based on the music though. If I compare & rank these albums for the music it's a completely different list. The top 4 albums are albums I actually wanted on vinyl for a long time and still wouldnt have picked up yet if only for VMP. Also taking into account the sound, packaging etc, 400 degreez was so damn nicely made I bought 2 copies

1. 400 Degreez
2. Tical
3. Tha Carter III
4. King
5. Handsome
6. Taboo
8. Care for me
9. Overgrown
11. Nasty
12. Hud Dreems

I thought the VMP OutKast was the only version with the complete track list? I could be remembering wrong, but I thought there was supposed to be something unique about it

Lil wayne putting his mixtapes on spotify and that.. VMP should grab em all and press them if they somehow got permission for them to be legit.

Lil waynes mixtapes are GOAT.. if only rap phenomenon 1 and 2 could somehow go legit lol

I think chris rock said recently pheno 2 is in his top 3 projects of all time.. get it pressed and get chris rock to do VMP commercials for it lol

R-3706243-1341129581-6960.jpeg.jpg

^ šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„

That Saba album is the hottest shit out of any new kid this decade. That and Colouring book. Check the U. šŸ˜‰
I will explain to you why I think Sabaā€™s Care For Me does not live up to the hype and why I donā€™t think itā€™s a great record. This is a quick review. (I listened to the album again!)

I like that Saba revisits a lot of 2000ā€™s/early 2010ā€™s R&B production, and I like the jazzy horns you find in half the tracks as well, itā€™s tastefully executed! Iā€™d describe the production overall on this album as being ā€˜cozyā€™, especially on the first and last track.

But there are problems with half the tracks here. I like the concept for the track ā€˜Broken Girlsā€™, but I think Sabaā€™s deep monotone voice repeating ā€˜girlsā€™ gets tiring. It feels like the chorus is just a placement holder, rather than actually a chorus thatā€™s memorable, melodic or that ties the whole theme of the song together. I feel the same way with the chorus of ā€˜Smileā€™. It just sounds like a placement holder, the singing once again is bland and it sounds empty - a feeling Saba feels, but what is empty is the chorus, thereā€™s no momentum or taste in it. Itā€™s like heā€™s being a bit bossy and wants himself to smile or someone else to smile but doesnā€™t want to put the effort in. The first track is also very disappointing from a chorus aspect, TheMIND just sounds like a lifeless version of James Fauntleroy.

Next problem I have is with Saba lacking characteristic. Yes, he has amazing storytelling, especially on King/Prom, and he is painfully honest and does a great job to with making you connect with him sentimentally. But, what is that auto tuned yelling singing stuff heā€™s doing at the end of Calligraphy??? That just sounds very tacky and isnā€™t tastefully executed at all. And on the track Fighter, Saba sounds so much like Mick Jenkins whilst rapping and thatā€™s unfortunate because the beat feels ā€˜watteredā€™ down and low-key. The song sounds like a leftover from Mick Jenkinsā€™ The Water(s). The chorus of Fighter unintentionally sounds like Saba a tiny bit like heā€™s a sad man whinging. The woman vocals and the whole polished sound of this chorus unfortunately gives it that effect. If it was just more stripped and raw, it would have a much better effect.

The only song in the first 6 tracks that I feel is truly a great song in terms of overall structure and performance is ā€˜Lifeā€™. That song is absolutely incredible, I love the creeping bass and Sabaā€™s tone constantly changing and the explosion of his feelings in the chorus. Itā€™s an incredible track.

Then you have the incredible Logout, which is colourful, slick, and tender and features beautiful warm pianos. The performance is sharp and Chance The Rapperā€™s feature is incredible, funny and cute. I love the abrupt ending, it fits in to theme of logging out.

Then you have my favourite track ā€˜Greyā€™, which has a beat very similar to Kissey Asplundā€™s ā€œCaosā€. I think the chorus here is extremely clever, directly and indirectly, with Saba explaining how sometimes your best work is usually unknown/not the ā€˜big song/known songā€™. And the manipulation of Sabaā€™s voice on the chorus sounds great, and the jazzy horns sound excellent creeping into the chorus too. The TPAB-like second half of Grey is excellent too, even if it might feel a bit unoriginal in sound.

Prom/King shows why Saba is a great storyteller. This track is also as good as Grey. No need for me to explain why this track is incredible. Itā€™s anecdotal, narrative rap at its finest! A real highlight of 2018!

So yes, there are some definite highlights on Care For Me, but unfortunately half the tracks are forgettable due to Sabaā€™s performance. The low-key, nocturnal, perceptive production can therefore sound a bit copy and paste. Care For Me is still a solid project, but doesnā€™t have enough strong tracks to make it an overall great project.

storf being storf again?

i'm hoping its not big boi.. not because i dislike the album, but we already got an outkast album.. its most likely the roots
Itā€™s most likely Big Boi. Think about the Cash Money releases they released a flurry of their albums in a very short stretch. They cultivated a relationship with Big Boi and part of that points to this being kind of a no-brainer type release. It really wouldnā€™t surprise me if, after this release, they go ahead with another OutKast ROTM for Essentials towards the end of the year. I prefer The Roots to Outkast but Their 2010 release is not even a top 5 release for them. Chico Dusty was much more critically acclaimed and fits the modern classic tag better (though none of these potential releases really hit it that hard IMO). With stuff like this, lots of time the most obvious answer is usually the right answer and to me the most obvious is Big Boi.

I will explain to you why I think Sabaā€™s Care For Me does not live up to the hype and why I donā€™t think itā€™s a great record. This is a quick review. (I listened to the album again!)

I like that Saba revisits a lot of 2000ā€™s/early 2010ā€™s R&B production, and I like the jazzy horns you find in half the tracks as well, itā€™s tastefully executed! Iā€™d describe the production overall on this album as being ā€˜cozyā€™, especially on the first and last track.

But there are problems with half the tracks here. I like the concept for the track ā€˜Broken Girlsā€™, but I think Sabaā€™s deep monotone voice repeating ā€˜girlsā€™ gets tiring. It feels like the chorus is just a placement holder, rather than actually a chorus thatā€™s memorable, melodic or that ties the whole theme of the song together. I feel the same way with the chorus of ā€˜Smileā€™. It just sounds like a placement holder, the singing once again is bland and it sounds empty - a feeling Saba feels, but what is empty is the chorus, thereā€™s no momentum or taste in it. Itā€™s like heā€™s being a bit bossy and wants himself to smile or someone else to smile but doesnā€™t want to put the effort in. The first track is also very disappointing from a chorus aspect, TheMIND just sounds like a lifeless version of James Fauntleroy.

Next problem I have is with Saba lacking characteristic. Yes, he has amazing storytelling, especially on King/Prom, and he is painfully honest and does a great job to with making you connect with him sentimentally. But, what is that auto tuned yelling singing stuff heā€™s doing at the end of Calligraphy??? That just sounds very tacky and isnā€™t tastefully executed at all. And on the track Fighter, Saba sounds so much like Mick Jenkins whilst rapping and thatā€™s unfortunate because the beat feels ā€˜watteredā€™ down and low-key. The song sounds like a leftover from Mick Jenkinsā€™ The Water(s). The chorus of Fighter unintentionally sounds like Saba a tiny bit like heā€™s a sad man whinging. The woman vocals and the whole polished sound of this chorus unfortunately gives it that effect. If it was just more stripped and raw, it would have a much better effect.

The only song in the first 6 tracks that I feel is truly a great song in terms of overall structure and performance is ā€˜Lifeā€™. That song is absolutely incredible, I love the creeping bass and Sabaā€™s tone constantly changing and the explosion of his feelings in the chorus. Itā€™s an incredible track.

Then you have the incredible Logout, which is colourful, slick, and tender and features beautiful warm pianos. The performance is sharp and Chance The Rapperā€™s feature is incredible, funny and cute. I love the abrupt ending, it fits in to theme of logging out.

Then you have my favourite track ā€˜Greyā€™, which has a beat very similar to Kissey Asplundā€™s ā€œCaosā€. I think the chorus here is extremely clever, directly and indirectly, with Saba explaining how sometimes your best work is usually unknown/not the ā€˜big song/known songā€™. And the manipulation of Sabaā€™s voice on the chorus sounds great, and the jazzy horns sound excellent creeping into the chorus too. The TPAB-like second half of Grey is excellent too, even if it might feel a bit unoriginal in sound.

Prom/King shows why Saba is a great storyteller. This track is also as good as Grey. No need for me to explain why this track is incredible. Itā€™s anecdotal, narrative rap at its finest! A real highlight of 2018!

So yes, there are some definite highlights on Care For Me, but unfortunately half the tracks are forgettable due to Sabaā€™s performance. The low-key, nocturnal, perceptive production can therefore sound a bit copy and paste. Care For Me is still a solid project, but doesnā€™t have enough strong tracks to make it an overall great project.
People can say he is derivative if they want, but in my opinion he put out an album better than anything Chance or Mick Jenkins have done in the last 5 years. I'm bummed that Mick never put out a properly trimmed down album that hit the highs of the water(s)

Chance never really did it for me at all though and Saba clicked for some reason.

The guess of Big Boi makes the most sense from a cynical business perspective too. A bunch of people signed up for 3 months due to the OutKast release. (1) OutKast (2) Tical (3) knxwlede. So those new subs are due to expire unless theyā€™re hooked in by something. Whatā€™s something OutKast fans would like? Big Boi!

People can say he is derivative if they want, but in my opinion he put out an album better than anything Chance or Mick Jenkins have done in the last 5 years. I'm bummed that Mick never put out a properly trimmed down album that hit the highs of the water(s)

Chance never really did it for me at all though and Saba clicked for some reason.
That Saba record never clicked for me. I gave it multiple attempts based on the hype and personally never got it. Itā€™s was too downbeat and and dour to keep my attention and nothing about it made me want to relistem to it (beyond trying to understand the hype) it was a release I actually ended up swapping even though I knew it was going to shoot up in value because it was something that I could never see myself listening to.

Back