Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Fp_RFctWAAEkQJI

Anyone think they'd go Mazzy Star Among My Swan for April? Only repress on those since '96 are the not so great Plain reissues. Not sure if they'd deem it big enough considering how Essentials is skewing these days.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it is No Code given the Yield reissue they're already working. Might be tempted to give No Code a go, though not crazy about that pick on the whole. Tons of other albums you could slot in there with the "Alt Rock" tag too, of course.

'83 obviously gotta be SRV. No issues with that pick, really, but probably a swap for me. Just never been very big on SRV.

Curious to see which way they go for '03. Given their proclivity for the NY scene of that era, Yeah Yeah Yeahs seems an obvious pick. Transatlantacism seems a suitably large album for Essentials treatment as well. But seriously, everything from M83 to Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, to The Raveonettes to Songs: Ohia could slot in there.

Anyone think they'd go Mazzy Star Among My Swan for April? Only repress on those since '96 are the not so great Plain reissues. Not sure if they'd deem it big enough considering how Essentials is skewing these days.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it is No Code given the Yield reissue they're already working. Might be tempted to give No Code a go, though not crazy about that pick on the whole. Tons of other albums you could slot in there with the "Alt Rock" tag too, of course.

'83 obviously gotta be SRV. No issues with that pick, really, but probably a swap for me. Just never been very big on SRV.

Curious to see which way they go for '03. Given their proclivity for the NY scene of that era, Yeah Yeah Yeahs seems an obvious pick. Transatlantacism seems a suitably large album for Essentials treatment as well. But seriously, everything from M83 to Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, to The Raveonettes to Songs: Ohia could slot in there.
I just picked up Transatlanticism last weekend, so naturally this is my guess. The reviews of the copy I snagged (haven't spun it yet) are pretty good so don't think I'll be upgrading.

If it was M83, then I may consider an upgrade here. Copy sounds good but not great, so if VMP is the definitive version then I wouldn't mind picking up a better copy of my 4th favourite M83 album (Hurry Up > Saturdays > Before the Dawn > Dead Cities - okay, maybe the last two are tied).

If it's the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then no question I'm signing back up for that month.

Last edited:
Would be very surprised if it’s not No Code, Texas Flood and then either Fever To Tell or Transatlanticism. And if those are the three, I’m in every month
I am genuinely asking as I don’t know where the two albums rank more generally but is No Code more well regarded or essential than Yield? Though judging by their Grateful Dead selection that might not matter anyways I suppose.

I am genuinely asking as I don’t know where the two albums rank more generally but is No Code more well regarded or essential than Yield? Though judging by their Grateful Dead selection that might not matter anyways I suppose.
Yes, I’d say more so than Yield, which imho is kind of the beginning of a different era (where they are more of a career type band). No Code is kind of the arty pick among early PJ albums

Yes, I’d say more so than Yield, which imho is kind of the beginning of a different era (where they are more of a career type band). No Code is kind of the arty pick among early PJ albums
Yeah, I personally prefer No Code to Yield but I thought Yield felt like a more popular album amongst the general non-music obsessed population.

I'm not a huge PJ guy but every single "best of list" I've ever seen has Yield anywhere from #1 to #4 and No Code generally anywhere from #6 to #8. I know I know lists lists lists but public perception at least has Yield pretty firmly ahead of No Code.

I'm not a huge PJ guy but every single "best of list" I've ever seen has Yield anywhere from #1 to #4 and No Code generally anywhere from #6 to #8. I know I know lists lists lists but public perception at least has Yield pretty firmly ahead of No Code.
Interesting. As someone who remembers the albums as they came along, I remember that Yield wasn't thought highly of when it came out. I imagine there has been reappraisal for sure.

FWIW, Yield is the lowest rated PJ album on AllMusic (2 and 1/2 stars).

Interesting. As someone who remembers the albums as they came along, I remember that Yield wasn't thought highly of when it came out. I imagine there has been reappraisal for sure.

FWIW, Yield is the lowest rated PJ album on AllMusic (2 and 1/2 stars).

On BestEverAlbums they have 1.Ten, 2.VS, 3.Vitalogy, 4.Yield, 5. No Code

No Code also suffered because 1) they didn't release any videos again, 2) the lead single was Who You Are and it had (at the time) eastern drumming that did not fit next to Comedown on alt radio 3) they were still fighting Ticketmaster and the tour was a shit show of people not getting tickets from 3rd and 4th tier vendors. it felt like they were actively alienating their fanbase to weed out the fairweathers, but they really pissed everyone off in the process.

Yield had the good fortune of them trying to get back in people's good graces again. It was way more radio friendly and you heard stuff from it all the time on your local alt rock station, they toured sheds/arenas, that Do the Evolution vid was everywhere.

No Code is the better album (to me) but trying goes a long way after you actively alienated your fan base.

FWIW, I think No Code is a better album than Yield and probably more essential. It's already a 2LP and recently released, I don't see how they're going to make it substantially better than what's already released/available.

What about STP Tiny Music?

I would like this (since I have no code already and do not have tiny music) but it's another record that just recently got a re-release.

image.png

Other possibilities:
Fishmans - Long Season
Cardiacs - Sing to God
Unwound - Repetition
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Suede - Coming Up
Local H As Good As Dead
Yourself or Someone Like You - Matchbox 20
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
New Adventures in Hi-Fi - REM
No Code - Pearl Jam
Beautiful Freak - Eels
Being There - Wilco
Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise
Unplugged - Alice In Chains
Tigermilk - Belle and Sebastian
Placebo - Placebo
Murder Ballads - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah - Nirvana
Down on the Upside - Soundgarden
Recovering the Satellites - Counting Crows
Tiny Music Songs from the Vatican - Stone Temple Pilots
1977 - Ash
K - Kula Shaker
Moseley Shoals - Ocean Colour Scene
Lamb - Lamb
Dust - Screaming Trees
Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle - Olivia Tremor Control
Sackcloth 'n' Ashes - 16 Horsepower
Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne
Blue Is the Colour - Beautiful South
Nocturnal - Heltah Skeltah
To the Faithful Departed - Cranberries

Back