Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Man I love me some Ben Harper. Took a good while to track down all his old stuff, but he is one of my few completionist artists. His live album is up their with my all time faves.

Live From Mars is fantastic. I remember a show he gave in Lisbon few years after, a few months before he released There Will Be a Ligh. I started having chills while he was singing/living Where Could I Go.

I was unware of him until I saw him open for Pearl Jam at Memorial Stadium in 1996 on the Anti-Ticketmaster tour.
Blew me away.
Made me an instant fan.

If you are a completest - are you aware of his release?
Its great.

Yep. Have that one. Even grabbed this French boxset. Missing some singles but that's about it.

1996 : Best Albums of 1996

Would be cool to see Long Season being repressed. The only existing press sells for hundred of dollars. Plus they could extend their customer base to Japanese collectors.

1983 : Best Albums of 1983

There is a reissue of Violent Femmes coming for RSD but on Picture Disc. Maybe we'll have the standard version?

2003 : Best Albums of 2003

Linkin Park - Meteora? Kind of fits metal hint per VMP standards

Would be cool to see Long Season being repressed. The only existing press sells for hundred of dollars. Plus they could extend their customer base to Japanese collectors.

There is a reissue of Violent Femmes coming for RSD but on Picture Disc. Maybe we'll have the standard version?

my wishlist that will never, ever happen:

1996: aenima
1983: swordfishtrombones
2003: let it be naked

Craft did a Violent Femmes reissue cut by Kevin Gray that's still in print.

This is my greatest fear of the upcoming quarter.
The RSD drop last year (two years ago?) got snatched right up, I imagine the VMP will be popular too if that's the route they're going to take.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as "metal", but it is a great album IMO. 22 year old me approves - if I didn't grab the RSD.

EDIT: Holy shit those discog prices.

Last edited:
1983 had a bunch of killer metal albums: metallica's kill 'em all, mercyful fate's "melissa", dio's holy diver, maiden's piece of mind, crue's shout at the devil, ozzy's bark at the moon, def leppard's pyromania, suicidal tendencies first album. of these the only ones that I could make a straight-faced case for "essential" album would be kill 'em all, melissa andpiece of mind, with kill 'em all being the clear head-and-shoulders-above-the-rest contender for "essentail".
Kill Em All the only essential in a list with Holy Diver and Piece Of Mind…. Nah.

But if VMP are doing metal it might be Frontiers by Journey.

Kill Em All the only essential in a list with Holy Diver and Piece Of Mind…. Nah.

But if VMP are doing metal it might be Frontiers by Journey.
Only in the sense that KEA has more broad commercial appeal to the masses than dio or an early golden era maiden classic. For my money, piece of mind would be the best pick out of those. Maybe suicidal, to get the folks into punk/hardcore adjacent; it's hard to argue the cross-genre appeal of ST. Doubtless they would fuck it up and use the re-recorded "Institutionalized" instead of the original mix.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here. With VMP doing Madman Across The Water and Honky Chateau in the past year... This year is the 50th Anniversary of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road... They're a pretty good bet to do this one in Essentials this calendar year eh?

Well Honky Chateau turned 50 in 2022 but we’re not getting the 50th reissue until midway through 2023, so I’m thinking a GYBR reissue probably comes out next year unless they were just behind schedule with the last one

Back