Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Seriously give me an ATCQ audiophile reissue campaign. I own all of them except The Love Movement bout would happily repurchase them all especially if They gave me a 2xLP MM and a 3xLP The Love Movement.
This! I am keen to get A Tribe Called Quest’s discography again if they all got a high quality reissue! I also own their first four studio albums on vinyl but will be more than happy to repurchase them! ESPECIALLY The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders! Both the pressings I have for those just don’t sound good! 😔

This! I am keen to get A Tribe Called Quest’s discography again if they all got a high quality reissue! I also own their first four studio albums on vinyl but will be more than happy to repurchase them! ESPECIALLY The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders! Both the pressings I have for those just don’t sound good! 😔
I have an original People’s Instinctive… and the color label mid nineties reissue of Low End Theory both of which sound good but could benefit from an audiophile reissue. I’ve always shied away from MM due to the reviews of bad sound quality. I would definitely buy all of their albums if they got the correct reissue treatment though.

My copy of Low End Theory sounds great especially since it was pressed at United. The sleeve and jackets are super thin and basic. I have a “Respect The Classics” reissue of People’s Instinctive Travels… that sounds pretty good too but it’s in a mirror board jacket that I am not a big fan of and the last track on the album sits alone on side D with three unneeded remixes. I would have preferred they spread out the the proper album on all four side and just left off the remixes. Midnight Marauders is in a cheap sleeve and needs to be expanded to 2xLPs. Beat, Rhymes, and Life, I just picked up a recent reissue and the LPs sound great but again it’s another cheapo jacket and We Got It From Here…, Sounds fine but again cheap packaging.

For swaps this month, thoughts on The Doors and Darkside? Are they both good? The Discogs BS is really hard to cut through on The Doors.
The Doors is fine for what it is. It’s just not a great sounding record but it’s the best I’ve heard the mono sound and my pressing was perfect. It’s obviously an essential rock record. My pressing of Darkside was terrible but it was mastered well and sounded good outside of the distortion (there is also distortion in the mix, I know).

Oh damn! This Beverly Glenn-Copeland album is great! Getting some heavy Tim Buckley mixed with Joni Mitchell/Laurel Canyon vibes.
I’m gonna need to give this a headphone listen. I had it on while making dinner and kept occasionally being struck by how awful it was? Pretty sure there was some opera singing in at least one song and the last song had some vocal stylings that I can only compare to a dying animal. A slow agonizing death. All of these positive comments have me second guessing myself.

I’m gonna need to give this a headphone listen. I had it on while making dinner and kept occasionally being struck by how awful it was? Pretty sure there was some opera singing in at least one song and the last song had some vocal stylings that I can only compare to a dying animal. A slow agonizing death. All of these positive comments have me second guessing myself.
It’s most definitely not going to be for everyone! ;)

I personally kinda agree with your initial assessment. Not my jam but happy others seem to like it.

Initial pass was like that for me as well but I went back with headphones and actually listened as opposed to trying to work and listen and those parts really clicked suddenly lol. It’s a very cathartic journey

Yeah, its definitely not for everyone, it did grow on me a little more after a deeper listen though and then reading a bit of his back story drew me in even more. Oddly, your initial take on listening to BGC is very similar to my take on listening to Deloused. 😖

Last edited:
Also one legit cool thing about the BGC album is it might be the first ever trans person to ever be an ROTM for VMP.. it's definitely the first transman they've done.. nice progress
It's awesome, and why I don't even need to hear the music to know I'll be going for it.

Just gave BGC a listen through and can echo the sentiments from those that liked it. Only one that felt off was 'Swords of Gold' for me. Otherwise there's a great mix of emotion between the tracks and his expressive voice complements that variety. Happy to have this on vinyl in its own right, will provide a good listen imo.

I'm in for De-Loused. I remember when it came out, it took me a while to get in to it but I always remember thinking I couldn't understand how someone could make that music. Like, how did they write it, how did they even begin to compose this? Thinking about it now I'd say it probably blew my mind back in 2003.

And a bit of (possibly well known) trivia for you: Flea of Back to the Future fame plays bass on the album.

Last edited:
Back