Vinyl Me Please Essentials

No, but if you are going to write a review of a specific mono mix for people without having an actual mono setup to hear it in true mono then I mean...lord
Well the majority of people buying mono records today do not have a mono cartridge, so why wouldn't they want a review by someone without one? Mono switches and tape loop y cables are not always doable and can influence the sound more than many realize as well. Not really interested in seeking out those reviews from people I'm not familiar with on VMP reddit though.

Well the majority of people buying mono records today do not have a mono cartridge, so why wouldn't they want a review by someone without one? Mono switches and tape loop y cables are not always doable and can influence the sound more than many realize as well. Not really interested in seeking out those reviews from people I'm not familiar with on VMP reddit though.

Yeah that's why I said it was the most VMP thing ever- because in a backward way it fits the subscriber base.

Yeah that's why I said it was the most VMP thing ever- because in a backward way it fits the subscriber base.
That's very negative or even classist because it seems like an attack at the more casual fan who is not really to have to change cartridges and/or styli to play a single record.. basically a review from someone without a mono setup makes sense as that's at the very least an 100 dollar investment you might not listen to nearly as much and might be a hassle to change back to stereo..

Aka.. don't judge.. maybe I got the wrong impression.. vmp should have assumed a lot of people would still use stereo cartridges since it might not be the big a difference and it's still a mono image just not as deep in the groove

That's very negative or even classist because it seems like an attack at the more casual fan who is not really to have to change cartridges and/or styli to play a single record.. basically a review from someone without a mono setup makes sense as that's at the very least an 100 dollar investment you might not listen to nearly as much and might be a hassle to change back to stereo..

Aka.. don't judge.. maybe I got the wrong impression.. vmp should have assumed a lot of people would still use stereo cartridges since it might not be the big a difference and it's still a mono image just not as deep in the groove

Are we really going there saying it's classist to have a mono switch? This isn't an attack upon the downtrodden and bereft vinyl collector (who are paying over $40 for this record in mono vs a ton of good stereo reissues). I answered you before saying there isn't anything wrong with listening to this on a stereo setup.

But if I wanted to know how this sounds in true mono vs an original true mono, you know the best review would be someone testing it on a system playing true mono. This is like someone reviewing a 4k movie with an Atmos soundtrack, on a stereo system- it may be great but it's a flawed review.

Anyway, mono isn't gatekept by the elite- there is a dirt cheap way to run Y cables to get a mono signal, there is even a guy on SHF that will build you a handcrafted mono/stereo switch box for about $50. It isn't limited to special mono carts or certain receivers

Are we really going there saying it's classist to have a mono switch? This isn't an attack upon the downtrodden and bereft vinyl collector (who are paying over $40 for this record in mono vs a ton of good stereo reissues). I answered you before saying there isn't anything wrong with listening to this on a stereo setup.

But if I wanted to know how this sounds in true mono vs an original true mono, you know the best review would be someone testing it on a system playing true mono. This is like someone reviewing a 4k movie with an Atmos soundtrack, on a stereo system- it may be great but it's a flawed review.

Anyway, mono isn't gatekept by the elite- there is a dirt cheap way to run Y cables to get a mono signal, there is even a guy on SHF that will build you a handcrafted mono/stereo switch box for about $50. It isn't limited to special mono carts or certain receivers
Oh I didn't know I thought you were meaning like full on mono cartridge or something because that would give you the best sound.. I just was overreacting because I didn't know mono switchboxes did anything to the sound or that they existed since you were still using a stereo cartridge and this no real difference (maybe also because I do headphones and not speakers).. I'm not a genius on mono so I just didn't understand

Oh I didn't know I thought you were meaning like full on mono cartridge or something because that would give you the best sound.. I just was overreacting because I didn't know mono switchboxes did anything to the sound or that they existed since you were still using a stereo cartridge and this no real difference (maybe also because I do headphones and not speakers).. I'm not a genius on mono so I just didn't understand

No worries. And i even have one of those mono switchboxes, they are pretty amazing

do we have all the albums and tracks worked out yet?
Country has been figured out, as well as one Classics (Abbey Lincoln) and one Essentials (Mars Volta) - which were all confirmed by VMP/separate companies. I think everything else is pretty much in the air, except for a couple of ones that have been narrowed down. I think people figured out the folk album in Essentials.

You shouldnt need a mono cart for a modern mono pressing, as today no one cuts with a mono head as in the first vinyl era.

The true mono mix of the Doors sounds like shit. It is the mix. I have the Grundman cut from a few years back. Murky, muddy, tipped up mess. Grundman did what he coukd.

Essentials:
JULY- De-Loused In The Comatorium - The Mars Volta (confirmed)
AUGUST- First Utterance - Comus (Probably the big front runner)
SEPTEMBER - Enter The Wu-Tang: The 36 Chambers (The Wu-Tang Clan) is the front runner to match the clues, (although it could also be Midnight Marauders if the clue wasn't counting European pressings when it said "never pressed on 2 LPs)

Classics:
JULY- It's Magic - Abbey Lincoln (confirmed)
AUGUST - 1974 Soul Album with 10 tracks, could be a lot of things like Ann Peebles or Bobby Bland
SEPTEMBER - 1966 Jazz album with 6 tracks (could be Wayne Shorter's Adam's Apple, still pretty wide open)

JULY- For My Broken Heart - Reba
AUGUST - Coat of Many Colors - Dolly Parton
SEPTEMBER - Pieces of the Sky - Emmylou Harris

RHH, I think August is gonna be OutKast's ATLiens, not sure about July or September

Essentials:
JULY- De-Loused In The Comatorium - The Mars Volta (confirmed)
AUGUST- First Utterance - Comus (Probably the big front runner)
SEPTEMBER - Enter The Wu-Tang: The 36 Chambers (The Wu-Tang Clan) is the front runner to match the clues, (although it could also be Midnight Marauders if the clue wasn't counting European pressings when it said "never pressed on 2 LPs)

Classics:
JULY- It's Magic - Abbey Lincoln (confirmed)
AUGUST - 1974 Soul Album with 10 tracks, could be a lot of things like Ann Peebles or Bobby Bland
SEPTEMBER - 1966 Jazz album with 6 tracks (could be Wayne Shorter's Adam's Apple, still pretty wide open)

JULY- For My Broken Heart - Reba
AUGUST - Coat of Many Colors - Dolly Parton
SEPTEMBER - Pieces of the Sky - Emmylou Harris

RHH, I think August is gonna be OutKast's ATLiens, not sure about July or September
I’ve got a feeling it won’t be First Utterance by Comus for the August Essentials ROTM! I think VMP will do a single LP pressing for that 1971 ROTM! The July and September ROTM’s will be double LP’s! Also, just the fact that it’s a 70’s album; makes me think it will definitely be a single LP!

I’ve got a feeling it won’t be First Utterance by Comus for the August Essentials ROTM! I think VMP will do a single LP pressing for that 1971 ROTM! The July and September ROTM’s will be double LP’s! Also, just the fact that it’s a 70’s album; makes me think it will definitely be a single LP!

First Utterance is a single LP my friend. De-Loused and whatever the September ROTM is are both 2 LP though

Back