Vinyl Me Please Essentials

The whole electronic music = dance music bullshit is majorly 🙄

My favourite electronic music isn’t for dancing to and I’d rather shake my arse to anything else but EDM.
Agree

Sorry for starting a whole debate.. guess I'm a little bugged that it's been 2 years since the last album I could call completely electronic and not electronic music mixed with something like indie rock (which is what I felt cut copy was)

Do we have ANY new clues coming soon

Only one hint in a fortnight is agonizing since we can't really guess as easily what is electronic (from Portishead to Orbital) or classic rock (from The Who to Jimi Hendrix)

Rap isn't even TRYING

Do we have ANY new clues coming soon

Only one hint in a fortnight is agonizing since we can't really guess as easily what is electronic (from Portishead to Orbital) or classic rock (from The Who to Jimi Hendrix)

Rap isn't even TRYING
"Electronic" is whatever wikipedia tells Storf it is, just like it told him that M.I.A.'s "Kala" is world rap.

New hints

I think this confirms Kala as that's M.I.A.'s 2nd album.

If it's Daft Punk, it's Homework. But it's not Daft Punk. So what another Electronic debut that would be Essential?

Last edited:
Bricolage is Amon Tobin's debut album. It's tough to find for a reasonable price these days, and has been out of print for years. It could also really, really use a reissue via the Essentials treatment. Genuinely hoping this is the pick.

Also, quite bummed that In Ghost Colors is officially out of the running. Somebody really needs to reissue that one already.

Last edited:
I'd love it to be Homework, tbh. Wonder what Electronic means to them... Santigold? Avalanches? SAW 85-92? Justice ✝?, Underworld?
Feel like Avalanches would fit the bill for VMP, but they've probably given them the curated pick treatment too many times to make them an Essentials pick.

Frankly, electronic is such an open term that electronic and debut does not narrow it down much. Moby,hot chip, four tet and flying lotus are out.

And classic rock debut is even more open

i'll take any of these for a pressing

im now more wondering what classic rock debuts they would be thinking about

Electronic = James Blake (2011)? Needs definitely a repress.
tbh though i love self titled i wish there was a compilation that held all those pre self titled tracks on there (air and lack there of, CYMK, klavierwerk, etc)... he was incredibly daring back then and if you thought he was just a sadboy back then listen to that and you know he had a good energy in dubstep

Probably Daft Punk but I really want Hercules and Love Affair. Lots of good debut albums that it could be though!

Do we have a lead on the classic rock one? If it’s any sort of bigger band I’m sure most people have it... hopefully the mastering is the deal breaker.

I am so freaking excited to see what the Electronic May ROTM will be!!! I have a blue pressing of The Avalanches Since I Left You, but I would love that album to get the VMP Essentials treatment, as it’s one of my all-time favourite albums! If M.I.A.‘s Kala and The Avalanches’ Since I Left You are both Essentials ROTM’s back to back, I’ll be in heaven and it will keep my extremely happy for a long time as those two albums are in my top 25 favourite albums of all-time!!!! ♥️

Back