Vinyl Me Please Essentials

but the internet means you can get european presses much more easily and you can probably buy a MOV press on amazon

its legitimately stupid

also for ellnen alien album... they are due to an electronic album since the last one they did was what.. moby?
I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but when has any of that stopped VMP from issuing an album? I wouldn't mind a QRP pressed Dylan album, especially if they do some sort of bonus with it.

As for electronic...I think a huge majority of VMP subscribers would swap out of Ellen Alien. I could see that being a title that sticks around forever in their store sadly. Would be cool as an exclusive but not an essential IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but when has any of that stopped VMP from issuing an album? I wouldn't mind a QRP pressed Dylan album, especially if they do some sort of bonus with it.

As for electronic...I think a huge majority of VMP subscribers would swap out of Ellen Alien. I could see that being a title that sticks around forever in their store sadly. Would be cool as an exclusive but not an essential IMO.

I agree that Orchestra of Bubbles is unlikely for an Essentials pick, although I am not sure about the general appeal of VMPs electronic releases. While FlyLo´s Cosmogramma sold out rather fast (at least to me that was unexpected), Four Tet´s Pink will probably hang around in Swaptions forever.

I agree that Orchestra of Bubbles is unlikely for an Essentials pick, although I am not sure about the general appeal of VMPs electronic releases. While FlyLo´s Cosmogramma sold out rather fast (at least to me that was unexpected), Four Tet´s Pink will probably hang around in Swaptions forever.
FlyLo is pretty much a mainstream electronic artist and crosses over with hiphop fans. He has a huge following due to Adult Swim as well. I think VMP is scared to do any non-mainstream electronic albums because of some of the previous ones like Four Tet still not being sold out. They have done FlyLo and Moby and those are about as mainstream as it gets when it comes to electronic.

I think it’s for sure Bob Dylan. New album coming out. Seems very likely.
Yea--that's what I would lean toward for now too. I also bet there's a store drop for his new album with a limited color. I don't know that there has been a color variant in the US announced yet? Maybe they will get the limited US indie exclusive. They got that for David Gray.

Ah, yes I mean the fact that they didn't even get the NAME of the album correct tells me that this isn't in the cards. If they were working with the band I'm sure they'd at the very least know the names of their albums. Also I can't really see Omar and Cedric being down with giving another company control over their pressings after how mad they were about MOVs releases way back when...

There was a more recent tweet when they teased "Literally any The Mars Volta album" and Graduation as well. So my money is still on Amputechture, with Omar playing on the Erykah Badu album featured in the Motown Anthology as hinted.

Since we might not get a clue for a while, thought I would round up the possible Anthology connections in a list and see what else we can link anything else from 2006 to them.

Labels:
Blue Note
Motown
Ghostly
Stax
Multiple labels for Zamrock and Grateful Dead

Artists in Anthologies:
Blue Note
Horace Silver
Dexter Gordon
Lou Donaldson
Wayne Shorter
Bobby Hutcherson
Ambrose Akinmusire

Motown
Mary Wells
Martha and the Vandellas
The Supremes
Tammi Terrell
Syreeta
Tata Vega
Teena Marie
Erykah Badu

Ghostly International
Shigeto
Chior of Young Believers
Christopher Willits & Ryuichi Sakamoto
The others 3 are comps, which could open it up even further....

Stax
Booker T. & The MG's
Sam & Dave
Otis Redding
The Bar-Kays
Eddie Floyd
Johnny Taylor
William Bell
Albert King

Zamrock
The Witch
Amanaz
Ngozi Family
Ricky Banda
Crossbones
Fireballs
5 Revolutions
The Oscillations

Grateful Dead
Ummmm...... Grateful Dead

At first glance, I would think that Zamrock and Stax might be the furthest stretch for connecting something big enough in 2006. Bob Dylan is the only connection I can come up with to the Dead, but I'm not super well-versed in them. Erykah and Teena Marie are the most likely connections from Motown. Connections are plentiful for Ghostly, mostly to electronic music. There are definitely potential Blue Note connections, but traditionally a jazz/blues/soul pick happens in December.

Anyone else have a memory jogged from the list?

Since we might not get a clue for a while, thought I would round up the possible Anthology connections in a list and see what else we can link anything else from 2006 to them.

Labels:
Blue Note
Motown
Ghostly
Stax
Multiple labels for Zamrock and Grateful Dead

Artists in Anthologies:
Blue Note
Horace Silver
Dexter Gordon
Lou Donaldson
Wayne Shorter
Bobby Hutcherson
Ambrose Akinmusire

Motown
Mary Wells
Martha and the Vandellas
The Supremes
Tammi Terrell
Syreeta
Tata Vega
Teena Marie
Erykah Badu

Ghostly International
Shigeto
Chior of Young Believers
Christopher Willits & Ryuichi Sakamoto
The others 3 are comps, which could open it up even further....

Stax
Booker T. & The MG's
Sam & Dave
Otis Redding
The Bar-Kays
Eddie Floyd
Johnny Taylor
William Bell
Albert King

Zamrock
The Witch
Amanaz
Ngozi Family
Ricky Banda
Crossbones
Fireballs
5 Revolutions
The Oscillations

Grateful Dead
Ummmm...... Grateful Dead

At first glance, I would think that Zamrock and Stax might be the furthest stretch for connecting something big enough in 2006. Bob Dylan is the only connection I can come up with to the Dead, but I'm not super well-versed in them. Erykah and Teena Marie are the most likely connections from Motown. Connections are plentiful for Ghostly, mostly to electronic music. There are definitely potential Blue Note connections, but traditionally a jazz/blues/soul pick happens in December.

Anyone else have a memory jogged from the list?
Anybody think they'd go with Tycho's debut album Past is Prologue? A version of it was actually released in '06, has been known to associate with fellow Bay Area stalwart Christopher Willets, and has released stuff on Ghostly too. And if memory serves me, VMP did an exclusive of a Tycho album a couple years back. Only pressing was in 2013, though it still looks readily available in the marketplace. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Anybody think they'd go with Tycho's debut album Past is Prologue? A version of it was actually released in '06, has been known to associate with fellow Bay Area stalwart Christopher Willets, and has released stuff on Ghostly too. And if memory serves me, VMP did an exclusive of a Tycho album a couple years back. Only pressing was in 2013, though it still looks readily available in the marketplace. Just a thought.

Tycho is definitely a decent possibility, as I think they have become a big enough name in the last several years to drum up interest from a wider audience. Not sure if Past Is Prologue would be the one they would go with though. I would say it might be Awake, but it has had a few pressings since it came out (including a Newbury exclusive last year). But Past Is Prologue fits the 2006 clue, so I'd say it's in the running.

Back