Vinyl Me Please Essentials

What about p4ks album of the year? The knife -silent shout

I would love this choice as well. The reissue that I have from 2012 is technically a European pressing, which would mean it hasn't seen a NA release since the first on Mute Records in 2006.

The one I have does sound pretty great. The cover art might lend itself to a fun dark swirl vinyl of some kind.

listening to hold steady for the first time its clear that they love springsteen i can say the album is super fun and nice but i dunno if i would consider it something i would rejoin for. which sucks because if i am going to rejoin for 3 more months i want to be sure that the months are great and i have a strange hunch they have a stankonia coming soon to go "hey join again" soon

Ghostface Killah - "Fishscale" (Probably the only rap album from this year that would be large enough to go Essentials as opposed to RHH, and desperately in need of a reissue)
i WOULD join for this

but it seems like the options we got (joanna newsom, The Hold Steady, the lesser albums by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and mars volta) are just mediocre or not my thing and i dont want to sub for a 3 month again only to have to not know what im getting for my 3rd month so i want to sub this month

I’m an in and out subscriber but haven’t they been announcing 3 months of essentials or do they just pick and choose when they do that?
yes.... they do do 3 months now.. but if its a new release they might wait until the album is announced...

but then again i hate that my last subscription was "2 months i already know and then i have to hope that month 3 is actually good".. which kinda pissed me off

I have a hard time thinking we will get The Hold Steady the month after the White Stripes...it would be like if 25 year old me took control of the subscription choices.

I love Boys and Girls in America, but think there are much more likely albums:

The Knife - Silent Shout
Joanna Newsom - Ys (if they ever do one of hers, its this)
Bob Dylan - Modern Times (I feel they would have announced this, but it only has one domestic pressing and is a slightly left of center choice)
Cat Power - The Greatest
Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I'm Dreaming

I think Ghostface is being saved for Supreme Clientele

Really surprising how many times they’ve gone to the 2006 well! I’m pulling for something surprising, like The Thermals-The Body, The Blood, The Machine🤞🏽🤞🏽

“God reached his hand down from the sky
God asked Noah if he wanted to die
He said "No sir
Oh, no, sir"
God said "Here's your future
It's gonna rain"

My Money is on Amy Winehouse - Back to Black.
That’s one of my favourite albums of the decade! The abbey road half-speed mastered pressing reissue does sound great however and has another LP which contains the B-Sides! So I’m not sure if VMP can top that pressing, but I’d love for VMP to do Back To Black because it’s a masterpiece and an album that has a special place in my heart ♥️

My money is on Lupe Fiasco’s “Food & Liquor” or Grizzly Bear’s “Yellow House”! 🤙👀

Really surprising how many times they’ve gone to the 2006 well! I’m pulling for something surprising, like The Thermals-The Body, The Blood, The Machine🤞🏽🤞🏽

“God reached his hand down from the sky
God asked Noah if he wanted to die
He said "No sir
Oh, no, sir"
God said "Here's your future
It's gonna rain"

This album would also be a great pick, however it has had two different colour repress version since it came out. May not disqualify it, though.

2006 is a great year to pick from. As has already been mentioned, I would be very in for a Grizzly Bear, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Joanna Newsom, Whitest Boy Alive, or Hold Steady ROTM.

It's too bad they've already done Hot Chip, because "The Warning" NEEDS a reissue badly.

A few other ideas to throw in the mix:

Ghostface Killah - "Fishscale" (Probably the only rap album from this year that would be large enough to go Essentials as opposed to RHH, and desperately in need of a reissue)
Cat Power - "The Greatest" (They've done some stuff with Matador in the past, last pressing was 8 years ago)
Belle & Sebastian - "The Life Pursuit" (Another Matador option, had a 2014 reissue so perhaps less likely)
Camera Obscura - "Let's Get Out Of This Country" (Great album from a somewhat-forgotten former indie darling, might not be a large enough draw)
Sunset Rubdown - "Shut Up I Am Dreaming" (This is an interesting option, as it has never been available on vinyl, don't know if Jagjaguwar has the rights to this like later Sunset Rubdown albums....)
Junior Boys - "In The Morning" (Electronic ROTMs are few and far between, but this is a solid candidate...hasn't has any reissue since it first was released)
Lily Allen - "Alright, Still" (I don't see this as a great possibility, as they don't normally go too full-on pop music, but this album holds up pretty well)
The Pipettes - "We Are The Pipettes" (OK, this is a total flyer and absolutely a "homer" pick as I love this album and wish more people knew about it)

No WAY it's Shut Up I'm Dreaming. BUT I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!

The Daytrotter session version of the title track is one of my all time favorite recordings. It takes me back to a specific time in my life where the economy was melting and me and all my friends were laid off and we felt infinite just hanging out until the early hours of the morning until someone had to go to sleep cause they had a temp job in the morning.

Nobody seems to be talking about Pieces of the People We Love by The Rapture so far. Released in 2006, tough to find on vinyl, and more than worthy of the Essentials treatment. It also seems like a good fit for VMP, too. Would love for this to see this happen.
Been looking for a copy of this forever and have pretty much given up. Echoes needs a reissue too.

What do you think about these records? I had a look at 2006 lists and think these may be possible too:

Liars "Drums not dead"
Scott Walker "The drift"
Destroyer "Destroyer's Rubies"
Yo La Tengo "I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass"
LCD Soundsystem "45:33"

Also I see "FutureSex/LoveSounds" by Justin Timberlake was also from 2006, fantastic album, but VMP had already done it before. Was that a former RotM or just an exclusive? I guess that rules it out?

What do you think about these records? I had a look at 2006 lists and think these may be possible too:

Liars "Drums not dead"
Scott Walker "The drift"
Destroyer "Destroyer's Rubies"
Yo La Tengo "I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass"
LCD Soundsystem "45:33"

Also I see "FutureSex/LoveSounds" by Justin Timberlake was also from 2006, fantastic album, but VMP had already done it before. Was that a former RotM or just an exclusive? I guess that rules it out?

I honestly couldn't see it being Liars or Scott Walker, as they are probably a bit too "out there" for the Essentials sub. Something also tells me that LCD is less likely, as I don't see James Murphy green-lighting a colour reissue pressing of any of his stuff.

Destroyer and YLT are interesting possibilities as well. Destroyer's Rubies did get a couple of colour represses in 2012, and the white one I have is awesome.

I honestly couldn't see it being Liars or Scott Walker, as they are probably a bit too "out there" for the Essentials sub. Something also tells me that LCD is less likely, as I don't see James Murphy green-lighting a colour reissue pressing of any of his stuff.

Destroyer and YLT are interesting possibilities as well. Destroyer's Rubies did get a couple of colour represses in 2012, and the white one I have is awesome.
I would love a special pressing of I Am Not Afraid of You (which I'm almost ashamed to admit not already having), but I feel like if they were going to do Destroyer as an Essential they would've picked Kaputt, which is an album they've highly touted the past via an Exclusive and a magazine write up. And yes, the recent pressings of Rubies are pretty solid.

I would love a special pressing of I Am Not Afraid of You (which I'm almost ashamed to admit not already having), but I feel like if they were going to do Destroyer as an Essential they would've picked Kaputt, which is an album they've highly touted the past via an Exclusive and a magazine write up. And yes, the recent pressings of Rubies are pretty solid.

They did do a red exclusive pressing of Kaputt way back when Beck was ROTM, so it would be out of the running for Essentials.

Back