Vinyl Me Please Essentials

And let's be real and strip the "punk" label off of this clue. Because no punk label that would have anything scene relevant on the scale of the DEATH reissue would hock it to a record of the month club.
IMO, proto-punk sounds loosely what people consider ‘punk’ so VMP will liner note it up to make it fit. Stooges and MC5 are maybe my go-to examples but I think there are too many to mention and I don’t care where punk came from anymore. They should just do Grunge because I selfishly just want Seaweed to get reissues.

IMO, proto-punk sounds loosely what people consider ‘punk’ so VMP will liner note it up to make it fit. Stooges and MC5 are maybe my go-to examples but I think there are too many to mention and I don’t care where punk came from anymore. They should just do Grunge because I selfishly just want Seaweed to get reissues.
I support this. I am completely unfamiliar with this band but after a quick google search discovered they are from Tacoma and have an LP named Spanaway so clearly they have to be amazing. I am downloadling their discography as I type this.

I support this. I am completely unfamiliar with this band but after a quick google search discovered they are from Tacoma and have an LP named Spanaway so clearly they have to be amazing. I am downloadling their discography as I type this.
This made me smile to read! Fantastic band. I’ve been trying to track down all of their singles and they are really the best at blending grudge and punk from that era.

The Clash's soundtrack to the film Rude Boy was only ever released as a cassette (according to Discogs). Would Storf consider them "proto-"?
It also looks like the full version of Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is only available on CD (once again, according to Discogs). Not sure if either of these would qualify as proto-punk, but both bands have enough name recognition to warrant the Essentials track.

The Clash's soundtrack to the film Rude Boy was only ever released as a cassette (according to Discogs). Would Storf consider them "proto-"?
It also looks like the full version of Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is only available on CD (once again, according to Discogs). Not sure if either of these would qualify as proto-punk, but both bands have enough name recognition to warrant the Essentials track.
Man I would love that Talking Heads, but I’ve got a feeling this is going to be an Ayalew Mesfin scenario...I have no idea who it would be, but it feels like an out of left field, uncovered treasure type of thing.

At this point, I'm inclined to lean the way that @Mather is leaning and go with some sort of compilation album of Los Saicos singles. Seems the plausible to me at this point.

That sounds like a very plausible option! Even though the use of "album" is a bit of a stretch here.

Also, there's already a vinyl release of their discography (EP boxset or LP), but it's a Spanish pressing and IIRC I've read (maybe in this thread?) that VMP considers "first time on vinyl" records w/o US pressing.

I'd be happy with this pick though...

The random juxtaposition of references to Mormons and proto-punk makes me think of the documentary New York Doll, about Arthur "Killer" Kane of the New York Dolls and how he hit rock bottom, joined the Mormon church, and fulfilled his dream of playing with the band again (one of those stories that's too weird to make up). It's been well over a decade since I saw it, but I remember it being pretty good.

Looks like it's streamable on Amazon Prime.

Hint #2 from Storf:

Well that likely precludes Los Saicos, most of their output was 65-66. Although their final single released was in 69 so if they're going by the latest date of the last single it would work for a singles comp album. So actually nevermind it's totally Los Saicos. Confirmed.

Last edited:
Well that likely precludes Los Saicos, most of their output was 65-66. Although their final single released was in 69 so if they're going by the latest date of the last single it would work for a singles comp album. So actually nevermind it's totally Los Saicos. Confirmed.
the thing is there already IS a singles collection and its available on vinyl on bandcamp for 16 euros

Never heard about Los Saicos (but punk is not my kind of music). So I started looking for some info about them. I still don't like their music, but how cool that it's a band from Peru. I'm reading on this interview to the singer and bass player of the band that there's not unreleased music: they recorded only 12 songs, and they've been released on six 7". The '69 single was released under a different name and with a different formation. The singer actually call that song "apocryphal, with very few things of Los Saicos". Harsh.

Never heard about Los Saicos (but punk is not my kind of music). So I started looking for some info about them. I still don't like their music, but how cool that it's a band from Peru. I'm reading on this interview to the singer and bass player of the band that there's not unreleased music: they recorded only 12 songs, and they've been released on six 7". The '69 single was released under a different name and with a different formation. The singer actually call that song "apocryphal, with very few things of Los Saicos". Harsh.

The best thing about this Saicos speculation is that I teach Spanish, and this is an interesting story, so I'm going to develop an activity or two for class about the Peruvian proto-punks.

Back