Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I really love that the essentials pick is so terrible this month we've spend the last half dozen or so pages on totally off topic stuff.
Yeah, I don't think it's terrible. More just meh for me. I like her style and whole aesthetic, but her last album and these singles don't really connect with me. I seriously considered buying her last album purely because I liked the cover art so much, but just needed more connection with the music. But thanks to the VMP pick, I guess I'll give it another shot.

I was ready to swap it, but the Mrs. liked the singles so we're sticking with Caroline. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's not TERRIBLE

it's just we know nothing about it, their marketing made it impossible to see if we'd want it, and there were options

We basically are hoping for blind faith in good quality.. like sleater Kinney
Yeah, I don't think it's terrible. More just meh for me. I like her style and whole aesthetic, but her last album and these singles don't really connect with me. I seriously considered buying her last album purely because I liked the cover art so much, but just needed more connection with the music. But thanks to the VMP pick, I guess I'll give it another shot.

I was ready to swap it, but the Mrs. liked the singles so we're sticking with Caroline. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I wasn't necessarily saying it's a bad album, just that it's a terrible pick for essentials.

It's not TERRIBLE

it's just we know nothing about it, their marketing made it impossible to see if we'd want it, and there were options

We basically are hoping for blind faith in good quality.. like sleater Kinney

I mean this is how it is for pretty much any new release preorder. If you don’t feel comfortable buying it until you have heard more, you can just wait and buy it when you’ve heard more.

I’m just not understanding how this is such an issue for you I guess?

I mean this is how it is for pretty much any new release preorder. If you don’t feel comfortable buying it until you have heard more, you can just wait and buy it when you’ve heard more.

I’m just not understanding how this is such an issue for you I guess?
My personal issue is that they sell the essentials track as an essential record that every collection should have. How can one know it's essential before it's even released? Seems like they should have a new releases track and put it there, or make it an exclusive.

I really love that the essentials pick is so terrible this month we've spend the last half dozen or so pages on totally off topic stuff.

God, did you take a break from bootlicking VMP all day

Caroline Rose isn't terrible. She is actually pretty awesome. Swappable? Yes, but only to get something that's going to sell out. Many people are going to double back and get it later

My personal issue is that they sell the essentials track as an essential record that every collection should have. How can one know it's essential before it's even released? Seems like they should have a new releases track and put it there, or make it an exclusive.

It's been discussed ad nauseum, but "Essentials" is just marketing. It used to be called Album of the Month, but once they added the Classics and RHH subs, AOTM needed to be re-named to something more definitive. Everyone except VMP recognizes that calling it Essentials is confusing and dumb, but it's fine once you acknowledge it as 'the monthly album they've selected for their subscribers'.

They are almost always going to do around 3 new albums each year, and those albums are almost always going to get the most criticism, partially at least due to a combination of the name of the track and fear of the unknown. If you're a subscriber, it's the ultimate acceptance of VMP as the curator for some of your collection. They were given the opportunity to hear this album months in advance, listen to it multiple times, and decided it was good enough that 30k people needed it.

God, did you take a break from bootlicking VMP all day

Caroline Rose isn't terrible. She is actually pretty awesome. Swappable? Yes, but only to get something that's going to sell out. Many people are going to double back and get it later
I never bootlicked VMP, you people just thought I did. I just post my opinion on things and get called a shill for it. It appears that I was right though, VMP just had a little hiccup and is now back on track.

It's been discussed ad nauseum, but "Essentials" is just marketing. It used to be called Album of the Month, but once they added the Classics and RHH subs, AOTM needed to be re-named to something more definitive. Everyone except VMP recognizes that calling it Essentials is confusing and dumb, but it's fine once you acknowledge it as 'the monthly album they've selected for their subscribers'.

They are almost always going to do around 3 new albums each year, and those albums are almost always going to get the most criticism, partially at least due to a combination of the name of the track and fear of the unknown. If you're a subscriber, it's the ultimate acceptance of VMP as the curator for some of your collection. They were given the opportunity to hear this album months in advance, listen to it multiple times, and decided it was good enough that 30k people needed it.
Fair, and I just joined in July so a one track VMP was before my time. I just know I've read copy that said this track is an essential in everyone's collection. Not surprising that VMP is a bit misleading with their copy haha.

All these guesses are making me think this LP isn’t gonna be quite as acclaimed as Storf had stated. No offense to any of these artist but these are a bit underwhelming. Shame on me for buying into the hype. It would though explain why they just wouldn’t give the name of the release for the month, it’s easier to build FOMO.

Back