Vinyl Me Please Essentials

All these guesses are making me think this LP isn’t gonna be quite as acclaimed as Storf had stated. No offense to any of these artist but these are a bit underwhelming. Shame on me for buying into the hype. It would though explain why they just wouldn’t give the name of the release for the month, it’s easier to build FOMO.
100% agree. I think the best example of something like this happening is Death (Detroit) about a decade ago on Drag City. That stuff is pretty solid. Either this is newly found material or it hasn’t been good enough to get a wide reissue on vinyl. Hope I’m proven wrong though and it’s actually good.

Unless Storf has no idea what the word "proto" means, which, well....

considering emo came from post hardcore the irony of storf calling it proto punk means that it is actually going to My Chemical Romance doesn't it! 😂😂😂

If its proto-punk and its essentials it should be like The Stooges or the New York Dolls, shouldn't it?

Well, like any large group of people, the Mormon/moron Venn diagram has a fair amount of overlap, as I know from personal experience... so these things are not mutually exclusive!

And by no means did I mean to insult Mormons with my 'joke'. I'm not sure I've ever met any in real life and the majority of my experience with Mormons can be summed up through my watching South Park. Seem to be generally really nice people who just happen to believe in something that I don't necessarily subscribe to (and yes, there are some ridiculous aspects but really no different than Christianity/Judaism/Islam/etc..

And by no means did I mean to insult Mormons with my 'joke'. I'm not sure I've ever met any in real life and the majority of my experience with Mormons can be summed up through my watching South Park. Seem to be generally really nice people who just happen to believe in something that I don't necessarily subscribe to (and yes, there are some ridiculous aspects but really no different than Christianity/Judaism/Islam/etc..

I just assumed you meant he was a square, because most Mormons are.

Source: I attended a Mormon university, where my roommate thought Sigur Rós sounded satanic, Dave Matthews Band was considered the forefront of rock music, and the edgy new local group was Imagine Dragons.

Last edited:
I guess this list might be a good place to start? I'm thinking it's gotta be some sort of compilation situation, right? List of proto-punk bands - Wikipedia
THEM is a possibility- they have already done Van Morrison. No idea if they have something never on vinyl before. I’d likely swap but whatever, willing to take a chance on whatever the pick may be.

All these guesses are making me think this LP isn’t gonna be quite as acclaimed as Storf had stated. No offense to any of these artist but these are a bit underwhelming. Shame on me for buying into the hype. It would though explain why they just wouldn’t give the name of the release for the month, it’s easier to build FOMO.

Yeah, with soul you can pull off something like Nat Turner because there was SO MUCH quality underground soul music in so many cities that we may never unearth it all- Numero will die trying.

But punk/"proto-punk"? Virtually anything that is relevant to that scene has been mined. I'm really curious what selling point this one has.

Yeah, with soul you can pull off something like Nat Turner because there was SO MUCH quality underground soul music in so many cities that we may never unearth it all- Numero will die trying.

But punk/"proto-punk"? Virtually anything that is relevant to that scene has been mined. I'm really curious what selling point this one has.
Agree with the mined comment. I’d be surprised if it was a solid deep find, but it’s either super specific/abstract/limited appeal or incorrectly characterized as Proto-Punk.

Back