Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Gonna throw up a Hail Mary

Bert Sommer — Inside

Released in 1969 on a label that released only 2 albums (so no quite a fit but maybe something was over looked?). Kind of folky pyhcadelic.

Don't know if it's a bonus or not but he played Woodstock which it's not a hint but if you're going to release a 1969 album this close to the Woodstock anniversary why not? Famous for killing it at Woodstock and fading away because he turned down opening the festival.

Bert Sommer — Inside

Released in 1969 on a label that released only 2 albums (so no quite a fit but maybe something was over looked?). Kind of folky pyhcadelic.

Don't know if it's a bonus or not but he played Woodstock which it's not a hint but if you're going to release a 1969 album this close to the Woodstock anniversary why not? Famous for killing it at Woodstock and fading away because he turned down opening the festival.
I just read an article about him. I had no idea he existed. This is a great guess! And definitely plays into their marketing for Woodstock.

I just read an article about him. I had no idea he existed. This is a great guess! And definitely plays into their marketing for Woodstock.
I caught his Woodstock set last night and my first thought was "who is this and why have I never heard of them before?"

Apparently he was cut from the film and album because he was on a competing label.

I caught his Woodstock set last night and my first thought was "who is this and why have I never heard of them before?"

Apparently he was cut from the film and album because he was on a competing label.
Yeah, what I read praised him to no end. And said exactly what you said - he wasn't included or promoted because of the competing label. I'm going to definitely check him out.

It might have been the way I wrote it, but what I meant was that the Jim Sullivan reminded me of the Jackson C. Frank album from the initial listen in terms of genre/mood. I much much prefer the Jackson C. Frank album over UFO.

Yeah JCF is an actual unheralded songwriting genius that you can tell the moment he plays. He needs no mysterious backstory or hip reissue label campaign to convince you.

Bert Sommer — Inside

Oh man, I hope this is the pick instead of UFO. This is a much better album in my opinion and would be one I likely wouldn't swap (UFO is definitely getting swapped).

Yeah JCF is an actual unheralded songwriting genius that you can tell the moment he plays. He needs no mysterious backstory or hip reissue label campaign to convince you.

For sure. He does have the story to boot, a pretty tragic one. But even if you don't know it the music itself has so much there to love and appreciate.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story and biography and context can easily enhance your enjoyment of any art, but the best discovery is one that has an amazing story and amazing quality, like Jackson C Frank, or Sixto Rodriguez etc.

For the record the new SK album sounds NOTHING like St. Vincent. Holy shit I’ve seen some lazy comparisons around the internet.
I streamed it this afternoon and, damn my skepticism, I reeeeeeeeaaaaally liked it. I may have to add this to my collection at some point.

I loved the album, and agree that it doesn't sound like St. Vincent... in terms of songs; production value, yeah, definitely hear it.
But it also doesn't really sound like S-K. It sounds like a band that was heavily influenced by S-K that just happens to also have a few synths lying around.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Let's put it this way: if this album had come out under a different name, people would be heralding it as one of the best releases of the year. I worry that everything surrounding Janet's departure will forever be a cloud over an otherwise great album.

[To be fair, though, Janet is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy underused as a musician on these songs and if this new sound is for keeps, I get why she left. If I had spent album after album hammering and providing Bonham-esque parts and then was reduced to a human-drum-machine, I'd leave too.]

I loved the album, and agree that it doesn't sound like St. Vincent... in terms of songs; production value, yeah, definitely hear it.
But it also doesn't really sound like S-K. It sounds like a band that was heavily influenced by S-K that just happens to also have a few synths lying around.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Let's put it this way: if this album had come out under a different name, people would be heralding it as one of the best releases of the year. I worry that everything surrounding Janet's departure will forever be a cloud over an otherwise great album.

[To be fair, though, Janet is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy underused as a musician on these songs and if this new sound is for keeps, I get why she left. If I had spent album after album hammering and providing Bonham-esque parts and then was reduced to a human-drum-machine, I'd leave too.]
Yeah. Janet's drumming was a revelation for me. I love Corin and Carrie both, but it was Janet massacring her kit that really made me a SK fan. She barely feels present on this new record. I enjoyed my first listen... It's a different sound... I like it... But if I had my druthers, I would immerse myself in The Woods or Dig Me Out, et al.

For the record the new SK album sounds NOTHING like St. Vincent. Holy shit I’ve seen some lazy comparisons around the internet.
And even if it is, is "A Sleater-Kinney album that sorta sounds like St Vincent" REALLY the terrible thing that so many people make it out to be? St Vincent is one of the most critically acclaimed indie acts of the past decade, yet it seems like a lot of people turned on her all of the sudden for... her last album not being quite as good as the ones prior?

And even if it is, is "A Sleater-Kinney album that sorta sounds like St Vincent" REALLY the terrible thing that so many people make it out to be? St Vincent is one of the most critically acclaimed indie acts of the past decade, yet it seems like a lot of people turned on her all of the sudden for... her last album not being quite as good as the ones prior?
That’s also an opinion I can’t get behind, MASSEDUCTION is better than S/T. No question. I prefer it to Actor but would be open to a difference of opinion.

1. Strange Mercy
2. MASSEDUCTION
3. Actor
4. S/T
5. Marry Me

Back