Vinyl Me Please Essentials

What was the deal with Tennis btw? I've heard some people took issue with that one but it was before I joined

It sucked
For a flip side opinion, it is one of my most spun VMP releases. It was a popular one to hate on for a variety of reasons, but I just love throwing it on this time of year. It's a nice, breezy, sunny summer morning album. Worth a listen if you've never heard it IMHO. It sells for peanuts on Discogs if it grabs you!

For a flip side opinion, it is one of my most spun VMP releases. It was a popular one to hate on for a variety of reasons, but I just love throwing it on this time of year. It's a nice, breezy, sunny summer morning album. Worth a listen if you've never heard it IMHO. It sells for peanuts on Discogs if it grabs you!

I like that one a lot, too. I play it pretty often. I do agree that it wasn't the right album to send out to 20,000 people. I think if it would have been on an exclusive run of like 500, it would be held in higher regard.

What are these reasons? I'm curious because besides @duke86fan just saying "it sucks," I haven't really heard a reason why
I have a descriptive reason on why I think the album sucked, but I can’t be bothered explaining why. It just feels like formulaic, lovey dovey, fake retro music with vocals that have little to no emotion. I think that Tennis wore its influences on its sleeves heavily, but it had they had no character. It’s just bland nostalgia that feels lifeless. I don’t understand why it was ever picked as an Essentials ROTM.

It’s all just our opinions at the end. But yeah, for me, that Tennis album sucked 🙅‍♀️🙅‍♂️

I think @Teeeee mentioned that someone compared it to Rumours (though that may have been another ROTM), which isn't a comparison i'd make lightly

I remember that comparison, and it was actually Tapestry 😂 (could have been Rumours, too, but I know it was Tapestry because I just I couldn't believe it). I'm still waiting for Tennis: the Musical to hit Broadway - haven't heard anything yet!

Either way, I still think it's a nice record for what it is.

it wasn't the right album to send out to 20,000 people. I think if it would have been on an exclusive run of like 500, it would be held in higher regard.
EXACTLY!!!

So many new exclusives that only had a run of 300 - like Grace Lightman, Orquesta Akokan, Crumb, Stella Donnelly, Durand Jones & The Indications are much more impressive in my opinion.

Tennis really should have been a limited run to 300-500 copies!

But it doesn’t matter. I think VMP won’t ever have a new release as disappointing as Tennis ever again.

What are these reasons? I'm curious because besides @duke86fan just saying "it sucks," I haven't really heard a reason why
The biggest one that comes to mind, and I am probably going to fail at remembering the specifics, but it has something to do with Urban Outfitters being involved with their extensive sailing excursion which inspired the album? And people were fired up about some sort of controversy surrounding UO at the time? I may not have any of this right, so someone please correct me or more fully explain it and please don't take my failing to recall it all as an indication that I feel anyone's opinions weren't valid. I just straight up don't remember it all clearly! OLD AGE.

I think VMP won’t ever have a new release as disappointing as Tennis ever again.
Unless they just did...

giphy.gif

Back