Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Look.
A big part of VMP was the forum for me. I love the crack and recommendations and all the help people would give to one another.
I cancelled my subscription after they closed the forum. Needles was good to go but I could always venture to Rough Trade to chase up what's cool and down with the kids these days.
Today I hoped to choose my last month's Essentials. SK, not for me, I hoped to swap out for something I've mentioned here before. How wrong I was! Apparently I need to resubscribe to choose my final month! WTAF!!
I sometimes get emotional about things I care about, and yes sometimes I'm wrong about things. What I am struggling to understand is how, if I paid for a 3 month package on 5th of May, why I need to resubscribe before Aug 1st to get this months record??!!
By my maths I've had 2 records not 3 for the package. Neither were the ROTM bybthe way, bloody swaps!
Thank Funk I can pick n choose my own ROTM from now on. Just don't tell Wor Lass!!
People have been swapping albums for albums not on the swap list all day. I bet if you hit them up they will get you what you need (as long as it is something currently in stock). Good luck!

Last edited:
I do kind of like it, but honestly it's not ROTM material once again. How it sold out is beyond me. I always thought that in terms of quality of the records, Sprinter by Torres was always the worst.
I remember when I was considering signing up for the first time and delving through their previous ROTM Blessed Feathers stood out like a sore thumb. That seems like a VNYL pick as opposed to a VMP ROTM selection. I just assumed one of the higher ups at VMP owed the band a favor or something.

Unrelated: the dude from the group I guess is putting out a his first solo joint. If my memory serves correctly Blessed Feather was a husband and wife duo. The dude stated the new album is all about his divorce and the death of his estranged father so that one sounds like it’s shaping up to be the feel good album of the year.
I don't think they pressed as many as some others. But they chose it because the Blessed Feathers dude emailed VMP and basically asked them to consider their next album. It was early days and VMP was still a lot more about community and whatnot, so I think they were listening through rose-colored headphones, and were kind of stoked by the idea of putting out this tiny duo's album to a whole big club. People from the forum were totally on board too--folks bought up their entire online inventory of their prior record/s.

T
I don't think they pressed as many as some others. But they chose it because the Blessed Feathers dude emailed VMP and basically asked them to consider their next album. It was early days and VMP was still a lot more about community and whatnot, so I think they were listening through rose-colored headphones, and were kind of stoked by the idea of putting out this tiny duo's album to a whole big club. People from the forum were totally on board too--folks bought up their entire online inventory of their prior record/s.
This is an accurate summary of how I remember that pick as well. And I honestly like it, but as others have pointed out it stands out as the weakest overall pick with age. Especially considering they broke up soon after this release. They rolled the dice on something and it didn’t stand the test of time.

i find that offensive to moses sumney, blessed feathers, and mitski (if we are only talking about the essentials)
You might have a point with Moses from an artistic perspective (again obviously just my opinion), but the other two? Meh. I know Mitski was lauded and a top 5 album of the year by MANY people, but it never jived with me. And I love Mitski. I just far and away prefer her earlier work. I don’t hate it, but it was a weak new release pick. For me anyway.

You might have a point with Moses from an artistic perspective (again obviously just my opinion), but the other two? Meh. I know Mitski was lauded and a top 5 album of the year by MANY people, but it never jived with me. And I love Mitski. I just far and away prefer her earlier work. I don’t hate it, but it was a weak new release pick. For me anyway.
i mean i didn't like be the cowboy as much as her previous 2 albums.. but its still pretty good

but saying things like he only liked 1989 after the sexual predator made it is kinda just being mean

This is more of a reference to the many indiehead publications that completely dismissed Taylor as pop trash but once Ryan recorded 1989 they talked about how brilliant of a songwriter she was

Disclaimer: I've always thought RA was a pompous douche but I still love his music.

also i personally dont like the personal attacks at storf

criticize his writing all you want.. he clearly messed up.. but saying things like he only liked 1989 after the sexual predator made it is kinda just being mean
This is more of a reference to the many indiehead publications that completely dismissed Taylor as pop trash but once Ryan recorded 1989 they talked about how brilliant of a songwriter she was

Disclaimer: I've always thought RA was a pompous douche but I still love his music.
yeah, aside from Adams himself being a piece of human filth, it was more a jab at the pretentious indie guys who praised Adams for being able to get a "deeper meaning" out of Swift's lyrics when all he really did was turn it from a fun, smart and engaging pop album into a boring Springsteen-deifying slog.

i dunno.. it seemed more like a jab at storf than at the general indie magazine scene

I'm sorry if I went too far. But if someone says shit like "women over 40 don't get to make great rock albums often" they're gonna get some jabs, lol.

The women over 40 thing was lame. Did they pick the album for a statement purpose or musically? Guess what - anyone can make an album - even women over 80 if they wanted. It's 2019 and you dont need to go through gatekeepers. Get some cheap equipment up at your house and upload it straight to the DSPs. Anyone can make and release an album.

Personally, I'm on board with this SK pick. SK is new to me, I like what I've heard, and I'm excited about the St. Vincent production. The color and package certainly could be cooler for the price, but it's fine.

However, this pick and all the talk of Tennis and some other new releases reminds me of why I dislike the term "Essentials" replacing Record of the Month.

Saying ROTM implies "we really like this album, and we think it's worth owning"... a good statement from a club.
To me, Essentials implies "this is elevated music that helps define genres and influences artists, or shows a mastery of an art or style"... or something like that. It's just a much bigger statement. They picked it for obvious marketing hype, but I think it leads to greater disappointment. A lot of the ROTM picks are not Essential in any way. Even some of the ones I love.

I wish they would change it back. Remember when Essentials was a section in the store, and it was filled with ACTUAL essential albums? They should get back to that. Give this product line a more fitting name.

Back