Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Didn’t VMP just “reissue” this?

“In addition to the film (which will be released on the label’s YouTube page), Oh Boy will celebrate its four decades with special releases (such as new music from Tré Burt and a special edition John Prine 7" box set), reissues, pop-up events, and more to be announced...2021 also marks the 50th anniversary of Prine’s self-titled debut album, which Oh Boy will reissue later this year.”

And Rhino...

Not happy about spending $43 but can't pass on Cudi. Kinda wish they would do a MOTM2 exclusive too in order to have a matching pair on those albums.

Or a Wzrd exclusive would have been amazing.

Not happy about spending $43 but can't pass on Cudi. Kinda wish they would do a MOTM2 exclusive too in order to have a matching pair on those albums.

Or a Wzrd exclusive would have been amazing.
i mean same.. but we know its not going to happen

Just had the Beatles in my thoughts and came up with this idea for VMP.

How about contacting the folks at Abbey Road and see if they can license songs to reissue Reel Music to coincide with the release of Peter Jackson's Let It Be film later this year?

I know the Beatles almost never license their music out, but a novelty item like this could be doable. A straight reissue from Capitol tapes and maybe the 7-inch edley single as a bonus will please me very much.

Didn’t VMP just “reissue” this?

“In addition to the film (which will be released on the label’s YouTube page), Oh Boy will celebrate its four decades with special releases (such as new music from Tré Burt and a special edition John Prine 7" box set), reissues, pop-up events, and more to be announced...2021 also marks the 50th anniversary of Prine’s self-titled debut album, which Oh Boy will reissue later this year.”
And Rhino...

I doubt Oh Boy will reissue this. I suspect pitchfork has got this wrong. On the Oh Boy website it said they were going to celebrate the 50th anniversary of it, nothing about re-issuing it. They may do, but it was never released on Oh Boy & the reason John Prine did souvenirs was to get the royalties from a lot of these songs, it would seem a little weird for Oh Boy to release those early Prine records, particularly as Rhino has re-issued them all.

I don't think the VMP re-issue would matter much in any of this

How about contacting the folks at Abbey Road and see if they can license songs to reissue Reel Music to coincide with the release of Peter Jackson's Let It Be film later this year?

I know the Beatles almost never license their music out, but a novelty item like this could be doable. A straight reissue from Capitol tapes and maybe the 7-inch edley single as a bonus will please me very much.
Sorry, would never happen.

(A) Abbey Road don't license. Universal owns the recordings.
(B) There are no Capitol tapes, only the original EMI master tapes in England. They do not travel (actually, do not leave the vault anymore at all).
(C) The only way to do such a comp would be from digital files.
(D) The Beatles Committee has never given out a third party license.

Zero chance. Besides, there are already plans for a re-release of Let It Be to coincide with the film. They don't compete with themselves.

Sorry, would never happen.

(A) Abbey Road don't license. Universal owns the recordings.
(B) There are no Capitol tapes, only the original EMI master tapes in England. They do not travel (actually, do not leave the vault anymore at all).
(C) The only way to do such a comp would be from digital files.
(D) The Beatles Committee has never given out a third party license.

Zero chance. Besides, there are already plans for a re-release of Let It Be to coincide with the film. They don't compete with themselves.

Also the fact that to so much as licence someone humming the song jauntily in the background you need to engage Paul, Ringo, Dhani, Olivia and Yoko and get them to all agree on the same thing at the same time. That’s not the easiest of tasks for something being done outside their own sphere!

Also the fact that to so much as licence someone humming the song jauntily in the background you need to engage Paul, Ringo, Dhani, Olivia and Yoko and get them to all agree on the same thing at the same time. That’s not the easiest of tasks for something being done outside their own sphere!
And before it goes to the Beatles Committee, Jeff Jones has to vet it and see if it fits into the long term plan. Licensing a comp wouldn't even get past that.

I doubt Ringo vetos much if anything. Reverse for Paul. Olivia will just interject to make sure George is fairly represented which makes it less likely to pass Paul. Yoko is from my understanding most amenable, but she will eventually be replaced by Sean and that could be interesting.

I have another idea: how about VMP stays the f- away from the Beatles catalog? Yep, I like that better.

Yeah, sure...if Ryan Smith did Revolver AAA from the master tapes for VMP, your shorts would be wet for a month.
I guess you don’t know me very well. Why would I (or, for that matter, the folks in charge of the Beatles catalog) want a company that does limited releases to put out a Beatles reissue? That’d be some flipper-friendly bullshit.

I guess you don’t know me very well. Why would I (or, for that matter, the folks in charge of the Beatles catalog) want a company that does limited releases to put out a Beatles reissue? That’d be some flipper-friendly bullshit.

I've been a member for many years and I am certainly not a flipper. Is it so wrong to want a record club that I joined to license and release good stuff? Your response towards my suggestion was quite rude, and this condescending comment you just made pursuaded me to put you on ignore. So long.

I've been a member for many years and I am certainly not a flipper. Is it so wrong to want a record club that I joined to license and release good stuff? Your response towards my suggestion was quite rude, and this condescending comment you just made pursuaded me to put you on ignore. So long.

You’re not going to read this, but just in case you do... I did not suggest that all (or most, or even a large fraction) of club members are flippers. My suggestion is that a limited-release Beatles reissue would attract flippers. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position (exhibit A: eBay prices for McCartney’s III pressed by Third Man Records).

Folks who identify primarily as collectors may disagree, but to me the point of vinyl as a medium is to disseminate music. I think MORE people should have access to a great-souding reissue, rather than just an exclusive group. If you disagree (because you would rather have your “club” put out valuable stuff that others can’t have due to limited quantities), then I’ll take your “ignore” as a point of pride.

I am planning to swap VMP for credit this month - unless anyone would like me to get a particular ROTM and sell it to you. $30 + $4 media mail to anyone in the USA. Let me know if interested.
I’ll take you up on this if still available.
If not, I appreciate the opportunity.

Back