Vinyl Me Please Essentials

sadly too much of hearing the white as fuck corny "wow the world is happy" waiting on the world to change on the radio as a kid because fuck it my mom was a fan (she was also a fan of daughtry so dont get her hopes too high up but tbf her favorite artist is george michael). i just immediately am sick of it and want to throw it in the toilet
I get it. Definitely not a pick for everyone and a little surprising to be honest.

Looks like my OCD will freak out because I wanted to do a 3 month since I have the big hunch August and September will be something big and essential

But I don't want a shitty person like John Mayer and his white college guy with acoustic guitar crap on my turntable but who knows maybe @The Commish is right and I'm just assuming it will suck without listening on full

My OCD is angry because I didn't wanna join monthly but I probably will have to

Looks like my OCD will freak out because I wanted to do a 3 month since I have the big hunch August and September will be something big and essential

But I don't want a shitty person like John Mayer and his white college guy with acoustic guitar crap on my turntable but who knows maybe @The Commish is right and I'm just assuming it will suck without listening on full

My OCD is angry because I didn't wanna join monthly but I probably will have to

I’m betting you could find a taker on the secondary market for it if you want to go the three month sub route.
If this is July though, then @Jan is probably right, so...

Reactions: Jan
I will say that I'm hopeful for something more diverse with one of the next two picks after July. Mayer makes four in a row squarely within the rock idiom.

I even told y’all to check this when I told you about this trick the first time ;)

continuum_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

edit: (Continuum by John Mayer)
🤢🤢🤮

I’m in for this. This actually a highly regarded album In certain circles. Pop punk/emo kids love this record haha. Was kind of a crossover hit. Idk why but i remember a lot of people talking about this one specifically when it came out. Really his only record I ever really liked.

Hey you 🙂👋 How are you? I hope you've been well 🌹

Sorry it's been a bit 😔. The world events knocked my bounce a little bit and then anxiety kept me from coming back in that "I haven't texted them back and now I can't" way. It sucks. Glad this gave excuse to break through it though 👍. Unfortunately my turntable has suddenly stopped working though so no more spinning until that gets sorted 💀. Was lovely while it lasted! I'll just have to do what I was doing before and pester the Fresh Grabs thread ;)🙈

I used to listen to John Mayer a lot a number of years ago and really enjoyed a number of his albums, one of which was Continuum. My only recent flings have been liking "In The Blood" a fair bit and liking that he spoke out in support of trans rights 🏳️‍🌈. Haven't kept apprised of him outside of those run-ins though, and it's disappointing to hear he seems to have support for, or ties to, the right (?) from comments here.

Sorry about your turntable! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon. And yes, world events have been destabilizing lately.

The comments about John Mayer are tied to an interview he gave to playboy magazine in 2010 in which he made a lot of memorably terrible comments (and used the n-word).

I'm a bit dense with figuring out this shopify trick - where does that "_2" that you mentioned go?

how are they gonna somehow defend the infamous playboy interview

or how waiting on the world to change is a fucking horrible song
...and “Your body is a wonderland” and “Daughters” there is lotsa awful there. Though he does have his defenders usually attempting to paint him as the 2nd coming of Stevie Ray Vaughn. I think he has rehabbed his image a bit with The Dead stuff, still this might be the most off putting ROTM IMO they have chosen since joining back in 2017.

Fair enough! I totally get that it isn’t your general interest! It’s better to get something you know you’ll love spinning!
Mmmmmm I see where you’re coming from! Half the tracks are skits so it’s not an album you can just play in the background! Can definitely understand why you felt tired halfway through the listen!
I take the Prince Paul thing as something different. Like, it's not a traditional album of music with some skits. For me, it's an unperformed musical. I'm listening to it the same way I listen to Broadway soundtracks. And it's a dark damn (albeit an on-purpose cliched) story. Totally get why someone doesn't click with it, but I feel like people annoyed by all the skits might be missing the point.

Seeing the guesses on reddit compared to what people are actually going to get is gonna leave a TON of people disappointed in this pick haha

I'm not the biggest fan of the album, but it has a pretty great lineup of musicians on it. Pino Palladino (fans of the Tom Misch/Yussef Dayes album should recognize that name...) Steve Jordan and Roy Hargrove are all on it.

Some people will be happy with this one. I think he's an extremely talented guitar player. I've never liked any of his albums though as a song-writer.

I’m in for this. This actually a highly regarded album In certain circles. Pop punk/emo kids love this record haha. Was kind of a crossover hit. Idk why but i remember a lot of people talking about this one specifically when it came out. Really his only record I ever really liked.
It won a grammy, if I read its wiki correctly

Sorry about your turntable! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon. And yes, world events have been destabilizing lately.

The comments about John Mayer are tied to an interview he gave to playboy magazine in 2010 in which he made a lot of memorably terrible comments (and used the n-word).

I'm a bit dense with figuring out this shopify trick - where does that "_2" that you mentioned go?
Thank you, I'm sure I will. That sucks on the Playboy interview and pretty 'eyes blinking' on using the n-word. I'll have to read it but it's not exactly the type of thing someone can defend. Hadn't heard any of that but wouldn't have expected to when my only real interaction is listening through Spotify or CD.

Thanks for the insight, honestly hard to reconcile against someone willing to stand up and say trans rights are human rights. Usually the types to go blurting the n-word around have equally shitty views in those areas. Sucks as up until this news was probably going to be a comfortable 3 for 3 this month. Will have to see whether any remarkable swaptions show up!

As for the "_2", it goes after the "store" the times it's shown up:

💛

I really like Continuum. It's by far his beat album. Especially if you like his guitar work. There's an MOV pressing out there that is fantastic
This is possibly my favorite John Mayer song

I have a soft spot for him as I saw him as the opening act in a tiny club back in 2000 and was just blown away by his talent.

Back