Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It's like my parents got together and married based on their mutual dislike of Bob Dylan as a vocalist. They admit he has good songs but other people have to sing them

Though tbh the raspiness of 2000s Dylan is kinda grating so modern times is a maybe

if you think modern times is too raspy then avoid Tempest like the plague. I love it but on the raspometer he’s approaching hardcore Waits.

But I like early and probably will enjoy late era Tom Waits

Its just they are in 2 different genres

By hardcore Waits I’m not talking Closing Time though to Blue Valentine/Heartattack & Vine, by his own standards he’s positively crooning around then. Early era Tom Waits is hugely different to mid era Tom Waits which is again hugely different to late era Tom Waits. His voice gets far more extreme from Swordfishtrombones onwards. Then musically he moved into rasping over the demented oompah music of the damned towards the end. I love it all but i can imagine someone loving one era and totally despising another!

also the raspometer is genre neutral ranging from Sam Cooke, super smooth liquid silk anti rasp, at one end to hardcore Tom Waits at the other.

Last edited:
FTFY 😉

Id rank probably another 3 or 4 Dylan albums above Blonde on Blonde, good as it is. Modern times would be towards the bottom of the top 10 or maybe just outside it for me.
Not that anyone asked, but my top 20 list (studio albums, not live or archival) is probably as follows:

Blood On The Tracks
Blonde on Blond
Highway 61 Revisited
Bringing It All Back Home
The Basement Tapes (I know this likely breaks the archival rule)
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
John Wesley Harding
Time Out Of Mind
Desire
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline
Love And Theft
The Times They Are A-Changin'
New Morning
Empire Burlesque
Modern Times
Oh Mercy
Bob Dylan
Planet Waves
Infidels

The last spot few three spots were between those and his most recent studio output (Together Through Life and Tempest). I would consider all 22 of these albums essential listening.

Not that anyone asked, but my top 20 list (studio albums, not live or archival) is probably as follows:

Blood On The Tracks
Blonde on Blond
Highway 61 Revisited
The Basement Tapes (I know this likely breaks the archival rule)
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
John Wesley Harding
Time Out Of Mind
Desire
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline
Love And Theft
The Times They Are A-Changin'
New Morning
Empire Burlesque
Modern Times
Oh Mercy
Bob Dylan
Planet Waves
Infidels

The last spot few three spots were between those and his most recent studio output (Together Through Life and Tempest). I would consider all 22 of these albums essential listening.

Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Highway 61 Revisited
Freewheelin’
Blonde on Blonde
Time Out Of Mind
Another Side
Nashville Skyline
Modern Times
John Wesley Harding
Planet Waves
Street Legal
Times
Basement Tapes
Slow Train Coming
New Morning
Oh Mercy
Tempest

I think that’s the 19 must haves for me.

Also did I see Empire Burlesque in your essentials list? Wow! That’s a big fucking call 😂

Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Highway 61 Revisited
Freewheelin’
Blonde on Blonde
Time Out Of Mind
Another Side
Nashville Skyline
Modern Times
John Wesley Harding
Planet Waves
Street Legal
Times
Basement Tapes
Slow Train Coming
New Morning
Oh Mercy
Tempest

Also did I see Empire Burlesque in your essentials list? Wow! That’s a big fucking call 😂

How’s your Dylan collection going Joe?

Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Highway 61 Revisited
Freewheelin’
Blonde on Blonde
Time Out Of Mind
Another Side
Nashville Skyline
Modern Times
John Wesley Harding
Planet Waves
Street Legal
Times
Basement Tapes
Slow Train Coming
New Morning
Oh Mercy
Tempest

What can I say, I like it and Infidels.

Of the Dylan that I own on vinyl I would rank them:
Blood on the tracks
Blonde on blonde
Highway 61 revisited
Bringing it all back home
Desire
Freewheelin
John Wesley Harding
Basement tapes
Planet Waves
Nashville skyline
New morning

...I will not admit to owning Live at Budokan on vinyl...

All of the above seem arguably essential to me. I have many others on CD and MP3 of course.

I would be happy with modern times on vinyl with hopes for an exclusive or two!

I have never heard of cat powers 🤦‍♂️

As far as Dylan goes, I own the Mono box, Blood On The Tracks and Self Portrait. I would Like to eventually add Nashville Skyline and Desire as studio LPs go then maybe one or two of the live Bootleg series releases. I am not a Bob Dylan completist but I can appreciate his talent. I would just be hard pressed to grab his 15th best album off the shelf when I was in the mood for some Bob Dylan (or any artist really).

Back