Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Those albums Bob Dylan made in the 60’s and 70’s are much better than the albums he made in the 2000’s in my opinion, even though they are loved by his fans!

@Joe Mac - You’re a huge Bob Dylan fan! What do you think of his album “Modern Times”? It’s very different in tone, I quite liked it actually, but nowhere near as much as masterpieces such as Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Which is totally understandable as albums like that are considered the best of all-time by a lot of critics!
Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, and Blood on the Tracks are 3 of the best 50 or so albums of all time.

I'd rank Modern Times somewhere between 12th and 20th among Dylan albums. That may not sound glowing, but Dylan may have the deepest catalog among any popular artist of the last 75 years (I know Miles Davis may have something to say about that). Its well worth owning.

I’d prefer The Greatest over Modern Times but both would be automatics for me. The Greatest was a huge record for me in college and “Lived in Bars” is on my short list of 00’s quintessential indie rock songs.
Same here. I have some good memories of listening to Modern Times on my iPod back in the day. "Spirit on the Water" still pops in my head once every few months.

I listen to Dylan a lot, although Modern Times i only cherry pick from the odd time. a VMP pressing would be n8ce.
If any UK based member wants to pick up an extra id be very pleased. :cool:
A Dylan pick would be hard for me to ignore and ive successfully (and easily) done that for the last 12 months.
If it is Dylan....

Last edited:
my parents cant stand dylans voice no matter what..

i'm like "cmon its pretty nice on [insert track from highway 61]"

i can't stand his voice on modern times

these sound like randy newman songs and not in a great way

Last edited:
my parents cant stand dylans voice no matter what..

i'm like "cmon its pretty nice on [insert track from highway 61]"

i can't stand his voice on modern times

these sound like randy newman songs and not in a great way
Awwww you and you’re parents are so cute! Like that’s so adorable honestly! 🙊😂

I love that your parents say that they can’t stand Bob Dylan’s voice hahaha I wonder if they’d say the same thing if you played a Future album lmaooo

Been revisiting Modern Times since I saw it was a possibility for the pick. It might not be Time Out of Mind, and I also prefer Tempest from his "latter-day" stuff, but it really is a great record. Would be a bizarre introduction to Dylan for uninitiated members, though.

it's a great album and a product of its time, but yeah i agree with your last sentence. if that were my intro i'm not sure i'd not be inspired to dig deeper.

Those albums Bob Dylan made in the 60’s and 70’s are much better than the albums he made in the 2000’s in my opinion, even though they are loved by his fans!

@Joe Mac - You’re a huge Bob Dylan fan! What do you think of his album “Modern Times”? It’s very different in tone, I quite liked it actually, but nowhere near as much as masterpieces such as Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Which is totally understandable as albums like that are considered the best of all-time by a lot of critics!

i adore modern times, it’s part of a late career trio with Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft that I consider to be if not quite at the level of his very best, not far off it at all

i feel very unsure about the idea of picking up modern times... the first song doesn't really leave the same amazing impression of blonde on blonde or bringing it all back home or highway 61

Thank god it doesn’t sound like Rainy Day Women, I fucking hate that song, worst start to a great album ever!

My mother thinks the same thing. Just says 'he cannot sing' matter of factly.
It's like my parents got together and married based on their mutual dislike of Bob Dylan as a vocalist. They admit he has good songs but other people have to sing them

Though tbh the raspiness of 2000s Dylan is kinda grating so modern times is a maybe

Back