Vinyl Me Please Essentials

do we count past is prologue when the original version came out in 2004

Cat powers the greatest had booker t drummer steve potts playing.
This would be an outstanding pick. I already have the 2008 RTI 180 gram pressing with the original cover art so I am good but it is an exceptional album and the recent repressing have different art so I think they could do something interesting if they reissued it with the original iridescent art.The Greatest also just has a VMP type feel to it.

Last edited:
I would definitely be happy with either Modern Times of The Greatest. Was actually just looking for a copy of The Greatest recently. May end up buying the RTI press if this month isn’t that. Mastered by Kevin Gray too.
I just upgraded from a more recent reissue and did a side by side comparison before PIFing the newer repress and I can attest the RTI pressing sounds great and is still going for a reasonable price on the secondary market. I am still trying to find the RTI pressings of Moon Pix and You Are Free for a reasonable price.

I think its probably the Greatest. I just can't see them doing a Bob Dylan album from the 2000s rather than the 60s, even if it is critically acclaimed.
It screams VMP to me. Lesser known/underlooked album from a huge artist, no recent vinyl repress in the US and has a new album coming out which they could pair with a VMP US indie exclusive (VMP got the only indie exclusive in the US for David Gray, don't think there has been a color variant of Dylan's new record in the US yet).

I think its probably the Greatest. I just can't see them doing a Bob Dylan album from the 2000s rather than the 60s, even if it is critically acclaimed.
It screams VMP to me. Lesser known/underlooked album from a huge artist, no recent vinyl repress in the US and has a new album coming out which they could pair with a VMP US indie exclusive (VMP got the only indie exclusive in the US for David Gray, don't think there has been a color variant of Dylan's new record in the US yet).
Yeah, I was going to say, you're not new here are you? VMP has done mid tier albums in so many artists catalogs at this point. To me, it's surprising anymore when they pick an album from an artist from their top tier. Some artists' mid tiers are better than others, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I was going to say, you're not new here are you? VMP has done mid tier albums in so many artists catalogs at this point. To me, it's surprising anymore when they pick an album from an artist from their top tier. Some artists' mid tiers are better than others, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
And sometimes it is awesome to get a lesser known album from a popular artist. I think Mr. Hands was a cool release for a lot of people and a lot of casual Herbie listeners didn't know that one.

And sometimes it is awesome to get a lesser known album from a popular artist. I think Mr. Hands was a cool release for a lot of people and a lot of casual Herbie listeners didn't know that one.
I get what you mean, but I'd much rather they picked from at least 5 other lesser know Herbie albums, myself ;). Glad for the people that loved it though.

I've been subscribing since Soulville :)

There's mid tier album of an artist, and then there is twilight years album of one of the canon artists of American music. They've done a lot of the former, and basically none of the latter, except arguably the aforementioned Mr Hands.

I think you can make I pretty strong case for either of these two. I think The Greatest screams VMP too; well regarded female indie artist most well regarded/popular album, no colored pressings.

Last edited:
I've been subscribing since Soulville :)

There's mid tier album of an artist, and then there is twilight years album of one of the canon artists of American music. They've done a lot of the former, and basically none of the latter, except arguably the aforementioned Mr Hands.
I know, that's why I said not new.

I don't see as big of a difference between those two things as you do I guess. I think Herbie is probably the only recent artist they've done with a dozen great albums, like Dylan, so I think it is a good representation. I don't think it would be a great pick for Essentials though, personally, just like Mr. Hands wouldn't have been, but not for the reason you mention, more that both are hard to argue as Essential, especially outside of the context of how important each artist is/was.

So, I'd like to think you're right about it not being that, but they continue to surprise me with what album they pick when they get great artists, so who knows.

I get what you mean, but I'd much rather they picked from at least 5 other lesser know Herbie albums, myself ;). Glad for the people that loved it though.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have a feeling they already knew the box set was going to be made and tried to pull one that they wouldn't want to include in it haha. I already owned the album so I didn't get the VMP one. It's not one of my favorite Herbie albums so didn't feel the need to upgrade it. If I didn't own it, I may have gone for it as an add-on.

I don't see as big of a difference between those two things as you do I guess. I think Herbie is probably the only recent artist they've done with a dozen great albums, like Dylan, so I think it is a good representation. I don't think it would be a great pick for Essentials though, personally, just like Mr. Hands wouldn't have been, but not for the reason you mention, more that both are hard to argue as Essential, especially outside of the context of how important each artist is/was.

I think we're actually basically the same thing here.

i feel very unsure about the idea of picking up modern times... the first song doesn't really leave the same amazing impression of blonde on blonde or bringing it all back home or highway 61
Those albums Bob Dylan made in the 60’s and 70’s are much better than the albums he made in the 2000’s in my opinion, even though they are loved by his fans!

@Joe Mac - You’re a huge Bob Dylan fan! What do you think of his album “Modern Times”? It’s very different in tone, I quite liked it actually, but nowhere near as much as masterpieces such as Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Which is totally understandable as albums like that are considered the best of all-time by a lot of critics!

i feel very unsure about the idea of picking up modern times... the first song doesn't really leave the same amazing impression of blonde on blonde or bringing it all back home or highway 61
Modern Times is a good late career album by a legend. I don’t think anyone would ever mistake it for one of Dylan’s all time best though.

Back