Vinyl Me Please Essentials

The current (cheap) pressing is common but not much to write home about, it also has alternate Artwork than what was originally released. There is also currently no colored wax pressings of the album that I am aware. Also other previous indie ROTM’s (Dirty Projectors, Phoenix, Flaming Lips) were readily available prior to VMP choosing them for their ROTM. There are still 2008 RTI pressed Kevin Grey cut pressing with the original artwork floating around at a reasonalbe price on the secondary market but they are becoming more scarce. I would be excited, if like the Flaming Lips they were to also offere up some represses of Moon Pix and You Are Free.

I love Cat Power! You are Free is one of my favorite albums ever, but The Greatest is solid, too. On the surface, she has a melancholy, bluesy, breezy sound - i’d call it “haunted garage folk” - very easy to listen to, but there’s also an exquisite sensibility to how she sings that makes the songs feel timeless. She sounds like she’s sad for ancient, sacred reasons, and she’s struggling to exist and live her life in the present with the rest of us. Her voice sounds unvarnished and quivers with aching vulnerability, but she’s still very much in control.

The recent vinyl pressings of her albums haven’t been great, though - I have two united pressings (you are free and the greatest) and one rainbo (wanderer). Lots of pops on all of them.

She’s also quite active on instagram and uses her platform to raise awareness about all kinds of causes and people that she’s passionate about.

has anyone mentioned 5:55 by Charlotte Gainsbourg? great album, produced by Nigel Godrich, recorded with some excellent musicians (Air, Neil Hannon and the late, great Tony Allen), no color variants and she was later remixed by Matthew Dear. does that count as "worked with"?
Probably not that because it's already guessed on Reddit apparently and no one has guessed that

Yeah, Cat Power or Charlotte Gainsbourg would be preferable. Dylan is great but I have Modern Times already and I don't really need a double of it (would likely be my first swap since Moby).

Does Cat Power even fit the clue? She didn’t record with Stax people did she? I thought she played with Hi Records musicians

still doesn’t connect her to any label/artist/producer featured on any VMP Anthology , which was the clue
But why make your one chance of a bob Dylan ROTM modern times instead of any of the other classics he has even 2 albums before

But why make your one chance of a bob Dylan ROTM modern times instead of any of the other classics he has even 2 albums before

His first #1 album in 30 years, number 204 on the RSM 500 greatest albums list, it’s a great album and a perfect fit for VMP Essentials. Besides, all his big classic 60s and 70s albums have been reissued to death

His first #1 album in 30 years, number 204 on the RSM 500 greatest albums list, it’s a great album and a perfect fit for VMP Essentials. Besides, all his big classic 60s and 70s albums have been reissued to death
But the Alicia keys reference, the alleged plagerism, the past his prime but still trying to gravel like he has a cold voice

Hell apparently his newest album is his best in a while why not that

20th century Dylan (basically post 80s-present Dylan) is not for everyone, granted. I almost think of him as a different artist when comparing him to classic Dylan. But if you are into his later stuff, Modern Times is a great place to start and a worthy selection IMO.

still doesn’t connect her to any label/artist/producer featured on any VMP Anthology , which was the clue
It says artist/band. Someone in the band she recorded with played on a Stax album. Not that big of a stretch. I don't really care though, I was just answering your question. Worst worded clue ever, so who knows what the hell he meant.

Back