Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I would absolutely love for it to be Animal Collective because that album is grand and epic! 💎

I would love for it to be Neon Indian as well, as Psychic Chasms was my favourite album of 2009, but I highly doubt that would get picked to be an Essentials ROTM! 😶

I hope we get Animal Collective, Neon Indian or Fever Ray! La Roux and Royksopp made pretty good pop electronic albums, but I don’t think either are “Essentials” material. Fuck Buttons’ “Tarot Sport” is just way too full on for me. Like you can’t even groove to that! Same with Dan Deacon’s “Bromst”, although I find that album more accessible than Tarot Sport.

I just really hope we get Animal Collective! I want that trendy, sexy indie electronic music!!! 🤞

Freelance Whales would be amazing. Or Pinback’s S/T (released 1999). But both are a bit too indie for VMP I think. Passion Pit I could see happening. Manners is such a great album.
Michael's been talking about doing represses for quite some time, so 2020 would be off to a great start if they manage to get Manners

I've seen this guess a couple of times and as much as I am a fan of Herbie's fusion/disco phase I cant help feeling it would be a massive disservice to have this as his Classics pick.
I agree! I would like to see Herbie Hancock’s “Thrust” get the VMP Classics treatment! It’s classic Hancock; an ethereal, semi-cosmic, warm, silky groovy sound that contains smooth yet punchy basslines, crisp yet groovy drumbeats, breezy yet delicate flutes, electro-dwelling keys, jazzy guitar lines. The tempo of most tracks are quite fast, but the aesthetic feels relaxed!

I really hope it’s “Thrust” that gets chosen! Head Hunters is obviously too well-known and has had a lot of great pressings! It’s like Brubeck’s Time Out. So yeah...fingers crossed we get “Thrust” for the Herbie Hancock Classics ROTM! 🤞

I agree! I would like to see Herbie Hancock’s “Thrust” get the VMP Classics treatment! It’s classic Hancock; an ethereal, semi-cosmic, warm, silky groovy sound that contains smooth yet punchy basslines, crisp yet groovy drumbeats, breezy yet delicate flutes, electro-dwelling keys, jazzy guitar lines. The tempo of most tracks are quite fast, but the aesthetic feels relaxed!

I really hope it’s “Thrust” that gets chosen! Head Hunters is obviously too well-known and has had a lot of great pressings! It’s like Brubeck’s Time Out. So yeah...fingers crossed we get “Thrust” for the Herbie Hancock Classics ROTM! 🤞
Funny you mentioned Thrust. I saw Herbie a couple weeks ago as part of the London Jazz Festival and he opened with Butterfly, which is from Thrust. It was amazing!

Its also interesting to see that when people think of Herbie its his fusion years that are first thought of. He started off solidly in the bop/hard-bop genre and released a ton of amazing classics. I always though Empyrean Isles (I would choose Maiden Voyage but I have an OG pressing of that......but not of 'Empyrean Isles' 🤣) would fit well in the Classics. Its a top-quality concept album with a great story behind it (which would make a great listening notes booklet) that takes inspiration from the Empyrean Isles myths.

I'd be happy with Mwandishi, Crossings, or Sextant as well.

Funny you mentioned Thrust. I saw Herbie a couple weeks ago as part of the London Jazz Festival and he opened with Butterfly, which is from Thrust. It was amazing!

Its also interesting to see that when people think of Herbie its his fusion years that are first thought of. He started off solidly in the bop/hard-bop genre and released a ton of amazing classics. I always though Empyrean Isles (I would choose Maiden Voyage but I have an OG pressing of that......but not of 'Empyrean Isles' 🤣) would fit well in the Classics. Its a top-quality concept album with a great story behind it (which would make a great listening notes booklet) that takes inspiration from the Empyrean Isles myths.
I'd argue that unfortunately most people think of Future Shock first. I think most Jazz purists would think of the two you mentioned. I actually slightly prefer Empyrean Isles, but already have a copy, so I'll take Maiden Voyage! :ROFLMAO:

Fuck Buttons’ “Tarot Sport” is just way too full on for me.

HARD agree to disagree, but I understand why you might feel that way.
BUT: this album has been in DIRE need of a reissue since it came out. It also would play into my theory of VMP occasionally releasing exclusives first to test the waters for pressing amounts or hint at what is coming and we DID recently have an exclusive of the new Blanck Mass album.

Having said that, Animal Collective does seem to be a more logical ("safe") VMP pick. Though MPP is not hard to acquire and would easily be, for me, in the top 5 of their laziest, most obvious pics. They would have to do something incredible with the artwork or the pressing to make me want it, otherwise I am fine with my original copy.

My shot in the dark is The xx - xx. Just seems like something in their wheelhouse and nobody did anything for its 10th anniversary
Superb shout! I saw the XX in London in March 2017, supported by Francis and the Lights. I had never really listened to them but my girlfriend was a fan. They put on a killer show, with an amazing use of lighting and mirrors. Halfway through they called on a guest to play a couple of songs, that guest was Robyn. Amazing!

Superb shout! I saw the XX in London in March 2017, supported by Francis and the Lights. I had never really listened to them but my girlfriend was a fan. They put on a killer show, with an amazing use of lighting and mirrors. Halfway through they called on a guest to play a couple of songs, that guest was Robyn. Amazing!
That would be too cool for school. That's what makes seeing concerts in Nashville to great. You never know who makes a cameo.

That would be too cool for school. That's what makes seeing concerts in Nashville to great. You never know who makes a cameo.
It was really unexpected and she didnt appear at the next nights performance so we got really lucky.

It was an amazing set up, the lead singer got the mic and said they would play a cover and started playing 'With Every Heartbeat'. The next second Robyn struts on the stage to sing. Crazy

Back