Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Himself said in the cestpool that Jan will be old school and then a bulk announcement of Feb-Apr.

I hate these bulk announcements. It's cool the day of but then I just lost any really hype about them. I didnt feel engaged and just like I was preordering another Record. Something that slips out of my mind until it shows up at my doorstep

I plan on ending my subscription after I get aretha but if January is Brandi Carlile's 2009 album that'd make it very hard to quit lol

Hints are 2009, 1980, 2004

Classics is the middle. left and right could be either but I'll assume it's the 10 year anniversary of something for Essentials.

Essentials: Dan Deacon - Bromst (2009, We've gotten Electronic music albums, the past two Januarys, so this would fit.)

Classics: George Benson - Give Me the Night (1980, Jazz / R&B Crossover)

R&HH: Mos Def - The New Danger (2004, New album coming from Black Star...)

Essentials: Dan Deacon - Bromst (2009, We've gotten Electronic music albums, the past two Januarys, so this would fit.)

Classics: George Benson - Give Me the Night (1980, Jazz / R&B Crossover)

R&HH: Mos Def - The New Danger (2004, New album coming from Black Star...)

I like this quite a bit, except I feel there are far better George Benson albums that could've been chosen for Classics.

Edit: I'd still get it, though.

I like this quite a bit, except I feel there are far better George Benson albums that could've been chosen for Classics.

Edit: I'd still get it, though.

Yeah, there probably are, I was just going off albums available from 1980. I haven't gone deep on George Benson's discography and I only have a used copy of Breezin' on vinyl and Beyond the Blue Horizon (which is awesome) on CD.

Yeah, there probably are, I was just going off albums available from 1980. I haven't gone deep on George Benson's discography and I only have a used copy of Breezin' on vinyl and Beyond the Blue Horizon (which is awesome) on CD.

On the plus side, I saw Storf was intrigued by your guess and is going to check the album out. So maybe a bit of inception for down the road with that one...

1980 had Prince’s Dirty Mind and Stevie Wonder’s Hotter than July. I feel both are too “modern” for Classics though. Doubtful VMP could swing a Prince release either.

Someone on Reddit suggested Diana Ross' "Diana" and I am all for it.

I like Dan Deacon, excited for the new record, but skimming back over some of my favorites from that year, a few other possibilities - Memory Tapes or Moderat could fit, maybe The Field. Something Ghostly-related - Phantogram. Hilarious if they pressed 30k - Tim Hecker

I hate these bulk announcements. It's cool the day of but then I just lost any really hype about them. I didnt feel engaged and just like I was preordering another Record. Something that slips out of my mind until it shows up at my doorstep

Strongly disagree. I don’t care about hype, I care about actually wanting the records. If the hype dies down after a couple of months then it means I didn’t need the album anyway.

I try to balance Need/Curiosity. The vast majority of my collection are records that I adore. Outside of that I do have records that I have purchased because I have viewed them as touchstones, possibly something that I may revisit down the road or people will come over and want to hear. And an even smaller percentage are records that I have purchased out of curiosity or even a little bit of FOMO. Some of those records end up on the for sale/trading block but a lot I leant to love or I think they help fill out a niche or hole in my collection.

2009 saw Freelance Whales release their debut album weathervanes, and I have been dying to get my hands on that record, I truly hope that this month will see this record get the reissue it desperately deserves.

Passion Pit's Manners was also released in 2009 and while I have that already, I would like to see that get repressed so more people could own it.

Strongly disagree. I don’t care about hype, I care about actually wanting the records. If the hype dies down after a couple of months then it means I didn’t need the album anyway.

Fair points. Maybe hype wasnt the term I need to use because I do feel this first bulk was the best run of records they had in a while and I have been excited to spin each. It's that engagement of a record a month Club I miss I guess. Knowing the december Record in September kills that because we talk about it then and then the conversation dies

I like Dan Deacon, excited for the new record, but skimming back over some of my favorites from that year, a few other possibilities - Memory Tapes or Moderat could fit, maybe The Field. Something Ghostly-related - Phantogram. Hilarious if they pressed 30k - Tim Hecker

Oooooooooh, Memory Tapes could make for a really interesting choice.

2009 saw Freelance Whales release their debut album weathervanes, and I have been dying to get my hands on that record, I truly hope that this month will see this record get the reissue it desperately deserves.

Passion Pit's Manners was also released in 2009 and while I have that already, I would like to see that get repressed so more people could own it.
Freelance Whales would be amazing. Or Pinback’s S/T (released 1999). But both are a bit too indie for VMP I think. Passion Pit I could see happening. Manners is such a great album.

Back