Vinyl Me Please Country

Sadly my second Iris is even worse popping during the songs on both sides now… beginning to recall why I cancelled. Does anyone know if they still let you get a third copy? Otherwise I’ll just stick with the one that pops on the fade-out at A2.

Totally agree, mid 70s-80s Loretta is dollar bin fodder, usually a filler with one single that recalls her glory days. In this case “the pill” was cut in ‘72 and held back so it’s quite literally a bunch of filler surrounding it, not worth ~$40 imo.
Be persistent if they give you the run around for a third copy. If they just want to give you credit for the album, just buy another.

Sadly my second Iris is even worse popping during the songs on both sides now… beginning to recall why I cancelled. Does anyone know if they still let you get a third copy? Otherwise I’ll just stick with the one that pops on the fade-out at A2.

Totally agree, mid 70s-80s Loretta is dollar bin fodder, usually a filler with one single that recalls her glory days. In this case “the pill” was cut in ‘72 and held back so it’s quite literally a bunch of filler surrounding it, not worth ~$40 imo.
If you push them you can usually keep getting replacements until you get a good copy or they run out (whichever occurs first). You have to be stern and assertive with your requests though.

If you wanna move one of those defective copies DM me I wouldn’t mind buying or trading for one.

Good luck!

If you push them you can usually keep getting replacements until you get a good copy or they run out (whichever occurs first). You have to be stern and assertive with your requests though.

If you wanna move one of those defective copies DM me I wouldn’t mind buying or trading for one.

Good luck!

Will do! I’ve got my fingers crossed for round three then I’ll send you a DM.

Lyle Lovett is a 45 rpm cut by Ryan Smith. Pressed at PRP, which is owned by GZ if I'm not mistaken.

I'm actually looking forward to this one, but I am not sure if I'll be picking it up this month. Trying to limit myself to just one VMP record and I am leaning towards Modest Mouse.

Lyle Lovett is a 45 rpm cut by Ryan Smith. Pressed at PRP, which is owned by GZ if I'm not mistaken.

I'm actually looking forward to this one, but I am not sure if I'll be picking it up this month. Trying to limit myself to just one VMP record and I am leaning towards Modest Mouse.

I don't know why but this Lyle Lovett doesn't do much for me at all. I would have not picked this if I was curating. Just my opinion.

I don't know why but this Lyle Lovett doesn't do much for me at all. I would have not picked this if I was curating. Just my opinion.
Yeah, it’s like his 6th or 7th best record in my opinion. They woulda been better off picking The Road To Ensenada, it’s fantastic and like Joshua Judges Ruth it’s never been pressed on wax either. That or they coulda went with his self-titled debut or Pontiac which are his best albums (but also readily available). I would even be down for And His Big Band as it’s a good example of Country intersecting with Jazz. This album is pretty good but not one I would need on vinyl.

Couldn't get into that Lovett either, found it uneven and didn't love that early 90s sheen it has so I changed my track for the month.

Perhaps it's just my lack of familiarity with the genre beyond the 70s staples, but this track does seem to be pulling a lot more off-the-beaten-path albums than the other genre tracks — for better or for worse. I just personally can't justify something like the Lovett LP for $40 when I'm still chasing clean copies of the country classics.

It's funny, the Lyle Lovett is one that I'm most delighted about. I think that challenge on his early releases (Pontiac) etc that that they were recorded DDD -- both his first two albums IIRC. I've got both on gloriously thin 120g original vinyl as well -- heck I proposed to my wife to "If I had a boat" -- though as I just looked, the VMP looks like it was "mastered for vinyl" and doesn't specify AAA. There was a high res DVD-A version of this album I hope that there is a great digital source. Either way, I'm pleased as can be for the record. For me, it has some really special moments. (though hey, Pontiac and others do too....)

happy Friday all.

I thought that the details of the Lovett pressing were ideal for what you can get from the Country track. Remaster by Ryan Smith, not pressed at GZ. I feel like if Smith felt 45 and two LPs was the way to go, we'll get a good result.

I have never really gone deep into Lyle Lovett but hoping this record will be a good intro into his music for me.
I would recommend giving his first two a listen first. His self-titled debut was released in 1986. That year is one of most important years in country music, you get Lyle Lovett, Dwight Yoakam, Randy Travis, and Steve Earle all released their first albums. Those albums got away from overproduced poppier sound that had been popular during the first half of the decade. Those artist displayed that there was still a large audience for more traditional sounding Country music.

It's funny, the Lyle Lovett is one that I'm most delighted about.
Same here. I resubbed solely for this and DeMent. But for me Joshua Judges Ruth was my entry point into Lovett in the 90s. It came out just around his turn in The Player and Short Cuts. I remember picking it up on cd out of curiosity for this strange character that I was mesmerized by in those movies. And I loved it! While it might not be his best, it's a touchstone 90s americana album for me. So I'm really looking forward to finally having it on vinyl!

I thought that the details of the Lovett pressing were ideal for what you can get from the Country track. Remaster by Ryan Smith, not pressed at GZ. I feel like if Smith felt 45 and two LPs was the way to go, we'll get a good result.
Definitely. I was already leaning towards getting this release but seeing those details sealed the deal for me. I think it's a solid album and a great pick for the Country track. Even if it may not be his best album.

Back