Vinyl Me Please Country

Oh, nice! Those pressings go for some ridiculous money on Discogs now, as does the OG european presses of Fuzzy. A friend of mine actually bought an OG in the 90s from a bargain bin at our local store for about two dollars (20 swedish krona). He still has it. Would love Copperopolis as well, even though I still think Fuzzy holds up best today.
I just noticed from your post here that both are hard to get now. Same with lonesome crowded West which I picked up for roughly 20$ at my local half a year ago

What's the deal with this Iris Dement record? I listened to a little bit of it, it's good, but not sure I need it. But, it seems like some folks are excited for it, to the point of re-joining. Is this an important record? Rare? Educate me.

Can someone give me a Cliffs notes version of what’s coming? I may be in for this Lyle thing and maybe this Iris thing, trying to figure out what’s announced and what’s not for Jan/Feb/March if that’s the stretch I need to sign up for.

1640020041075.png

Iris In January
Loretta in February
Lyle in March

What's the deal with this Iris Dement record? I listened to a little bit of it, it's good, but not sure I need it. But, it seems like some folks are excited for it, to the point of re-joining. Is this an important record? Rare? Educate me.
For me, its just a record that really encapsulates my life. Growing up in a country church and becoming disillusioned with religion as an adult. The goods and bads of small town American life. The last song of Iris and her mother singing "Higher Ground" is just incredible to me. It sounds like what I remember my grandmother and mother singing in church.

Iris really has that Appalachian country warble down pat. Her songwriting is evocative and there's a reason John Prine was one of her strongest supporters.

I dislike Country immensely, but Iris Dement is one who transcends genre. IMO Iris Dement Sings The Delta is one of the best albums of the past decade. Infamous Angel is a great record, and IMO should not be missed!

LOL.

To be clear, I dislike the faux-country pop that is currently passing for the Country genre. And I dislike what Country has become associated with. Iris DeMent is the real deal.

Country is like any other genre where the best of what is currently out there is not what you hear in the mainstream.

You can always go in for a year. I have been pleased with the country sub so far. Then again I haven't subscribed to Magnolia in months so I have freed up that money.
Considered it to bring the cost per down, but ultimately can’t justify the value compared to other stuff I’d rather have. Might just do the three as a gift to myself and move on with my life. And even then, the Lyle album is really the main driver. I dunno. I keep trying to talk myself out of it, so at this point it’s just me yelling at the sea.

I think it’s just an incredibly solid set of tunes. Iris is a great songwriter and I find myself hanging on to every word she sings. She comes across so effortlessly genuine and sincere. Plus, it stands out from what was going on in country music in 1992.

But I can understand why it may not be a must have for everyone. For me though, it’s got everything I want from a country/singer songwriter album.

Country folks - Is there something stopping some Guy Clark represses. I see 4 Men With Beards did the last repress of Old No 1. Hopefully they don’t have the rights for too much longer

Back