Vinyl Me Please Country

just FYI for anyone interested, that there's a pretty good discussion on a lot of the country track stuff that people have been asking on the discord -- it's a lot of back and forth and I wouldn't feel comfortable screenshotting anything in there to put here, but stuff like plans going forward and why hasn't this been done and etc etc. If you're curious about the inside baseball of it and are not on the discord, might be a decent time to meander on in there.

Also there's a Q&A happening tomorrow, with questions being taken in the "q&a ask questions" thread

Nickel Creek showed up yesterday and am spinning now. It's been awhile since I got a noisy mess of GZ but here we are. Sounds fine - I don't have a regular version to compare too, but this album will always sound like an early 00s CD to me no matter what.

Maybe I should list my copy:

Maybe I should list my copy:
This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of music history with Patsy Cline's "Showcase" LP. The vinyl record, released in 2022 under Decca label, features 12" early country, vocal, and 1960s genre music. The cardboard sleeve case type and black vinyl material add to its collectible value.

I think this was written by Chat GPT.

This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of music history with Patsy Cline's "Showcase" LP. The vinyl record, released in 2022 under Decca label, features 12" early country, vocal, and 1960s genre music. The cardboard sleeve case type and black vinyl material add to its collectible value.

I think this was written by Chat GPT.
Ooooh, black vinyl material. I have to have this.

Listening to the second Chalino record from VMP right now, it's fine. Still boggles my mind that we got two Chalino Sanchez records but so many artists were left untouched during VMP's country time. Probably good that it did go away to be honest.
I just hope that some arts decide that vinyl is worthwhile. Lots 90s albums need to still be cut to vinyl and lots of 60s, 70s and 80s albums could desperately use a reissue.

I was stoked to find a clean copy of George Jones A Grand Tour last month and entering it into Discogs it’s surprising that there hasn’t been any sort of recent reissue.

I just hope that some arts decide that vinyl is worthwhile. Lots 90s albums need to still be cut to vinyl and lots of 60s, 70s and 80s albums could desperately use a reissue.

I was stoked to find a clean copy of George Jones A Grand Tour last month and entering it into Discogs it’s surprising that there hasn’t been any sort of recent reissue.
Yeah that is my biggest gripe with VMP Country is they did multiple artists over and over again. Willie is fine, Sturgill is fine but it was totally overkill.

Your comment on Jones is what I had hoped would happen with that track. I guarantee Grand Tour would have been greeted more warmly than Sam Hunt's Montevallo. I was glad to get the Billy Joe Shaver and a few others. I don't understand the whole Chalino thing VMP seems hooked on, but whatever. The Country track was a missed opportunity.

shot in the dark, but i wonder if so many old country records are just caught up in rights purgatories that it makes reissuing some of those an impossibility, especially for a company who has so little of its shit together like VMP
I don’t think they have to navigate those rights though. I think that is probably some of it though and the rest of it being the labels going hey why let other people make money on this. There are more country reissues happening now than in the past.

shot in the dark, but i wonder if so many old country records are just caught up in rights purgatories that it makes reissuing some of those an impossibility, especially for a company who has so little of its shit together like VMP
Sony (via Columbia and RCA) have a lot of the legacy country catalogs, owned studios in Nashville, etc so you gotta pay to play to get those rights since they reissue a lot of their own catalog via their Legacy imprint.

Back